Supermarkets and Retail

“Everyone in the community” has mentioned that the Woolworths is the highest grossing in Australia. Sounds like a fun place. :joy:

It’s not! The whole shopping centre is a bloody nightmare, the Woolworths and the car park are gridlocked 24/7, lead-up to Christmas Day is always exciting (parked vehicles kilometres down the roads) :red_car::red_car::red_car:

Were those employees the CEO and CFO of Woolworths Ltd?

Ah, at a guess…

The store manager totals a weeks sales and contacts the regional (VIC) manager and/or head office and they all keep in conmunication.

The store manager would obviously talk lots to the duty managers and then onto staff, etc.

I’m sure the “highest grossing” (or one of the highest grossing) stores wouldn’t be too hard to find out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your parochialism encompasses all aspects of your life. :joy:

1 Like

I see :expressionless:

Sure sure

3 Likes

This case of an Ipswich mother sticking fake 65c barcodes on more expensive grocery items shows why Coles is having a crackdown at self-serve checkouts. How she managed to do this for so many months without being detected is bewildering.

1 Like

The same item would have been showing on the screen multiple times. So the supermarket employees supervising the self-service checkouts weren’t doing their job and randomly having glance at the screen.

I purchased a kitchen knife a few weeks back and the self serve would not allow me to complete my purchase unto the supervisor came to my machine and accepted that I was over 18. I don’t see why a similar thing can not be programed in to the machine when people purchase a insane amount of 1 product that it grabs the attention of the supervisor and they have to okay it on their end before the purchase could be complete

2 Likes

And also to prevent people not scanning things go back to having it weight based and won’t let you continue your shopping unless the product has been bagged correctly. I’ve noticed in the last 6 months to a year they have turned the weight check off at both Woolies and Coles. At my local Woolies there is a self serve checkout supervisor who is onto anyone who tries to do the dodgy.

Wesfarmers is looking to flog Officeworks after it had a strong result in the past six months.

Isn’t it a bit odd to want to sell off one of their star performers for a one-off gain?

2 Likes

They’ve already reintroduced that at a number of Coles supermarkets and it’s frustrating if you’re doing a big shop. It keeps failing and the supervisor has to come over. If they decide to limit self serve to small numbers of items then they have to bring back more cashiers for regular checkouts.

I don’t get that either - bizarre.

1 Like

Not if they believe they can achieve a better return by putting the cash into something else. Buy low, transform, sell high and then move onto the next thing.

1 Like

Wesfarmers knows something we don’t clearly. They’re obviously expecting someone like Staples or Office Depot to bid.

I doubt they’d IPO it.

its been a while since I’ve looked at a set of wesfarmers results - when they bought Coles it was flagged that they could sell it off then or integrate it more into places like Bunnings & Kmart.

Im wondering whether there is a move to slim down Wesfarmers and get rid of some ‘non-core’ assets regardless of performance

Well, non-core assets that they could actually make money on anyway. I’m sure they’d love to sell Target (the same as Woolies would love to sell Big W) but they wouldn’t get a cent for it from anyone.

Marcs and David Lawrence stores start shutting down.

1 Like

Harris Scarfe is returning to Western Australia. They’re calling for managers at a new store in Joondalup. Unsure whether they’re going in at Lakeside or building a standalone store somewhere else.

http://www.harrisscarfe.com.au/careers

2 Likes