Supermarkets and Retail

Gives Charter Hall 10 years to develop a plan for the site, and gives Village 10 years to slowly and gracefully get out of the drive in game. Sad but true.

Farmer Jackā€™s was big in the 90ā€™s but then went quiet for a while. The old chain of stores was under the same ownership as Newmart, Charlie Carters, Supa Valu, Advantage. Might have been FAL.

This will be the 6th supermarket in Joondalup since opening in 1994.

Advantage (became Woolworths)
Coles
Woolworths
Sisters IGA
Aldi
Farmer Jacks

Max Brenner has been sold to Roy Mustaca who owns United Cinemas.

Is this the same Roy who was once a singer?

I know heā€™s been an Elvis impersonator. I once saw him at the Warriewood United Cinemas dressed as Elvis.

2 Likes

The Dromana 3-Drive In in Victoria (10min down the road from me, adjacent to the freeway) is still operating though I donā€™t believe strong, struggling in winter.

But being one of the top state holiday/day trip destinations, does well over summer.

Itā€™ll be sad to see it go one day.

NB/ Iā€™ve met the proprietar before and heā€™s a lovely guy, runs it with his wife, really passionate. Often calls 3AWā€™s Denis Walter on Fridays before 3pm to plug.

3 Likes

Still a drive in in Dandenong too

http://www.lunardrive-in.com.au

2 Likes

theres one in yatala about 1/2 way between brisbane and the goldie - just around the corner from the Dick Johnston racing workshop and museum.

I went on my first date with my boyfriend there. Glad they arenā€™t shutting it down!

Last weekend I had a look at the renovated Glen Waverley Shopping Centre for the first time. I find most of these newly renovated shopping centres are all become much the same. They add in a H&M, they get a fancy food court and they get some dark and modern feeling walkways. I found some sections of the shopping centre to be way too dark with no natural light on the lower level near Jb Hi Fi. I also thought the new food court was clunky. Itā€™s so hard to walk through and navigate because they tables and chairs are just everywhere and non-consistent to give that modern feel that a lot of food courts are doing. It just felt cluttered to me.

3 Likes

Businessman Solomon Lew will close three of his stores on Melbourneā€™s shopping strip, Chapel Street due high cost of rent. Just Jeans, Dotti and Smiggle are set to go

1 Like

Chapel street hasnā€™t been what it was the last few years and a lot of those retail stores have been struggling but they are doing a lot to boost the area .I think in a years time itā€™s going to get a lot of itā€™s life back. They are building that new Cato square in the old Woolworthā€™s carpark which is going to be awesome once itā€™s completed. Also the new jam factor development is underway (which will also bring in a heap of office blocks) and there are some big new hotels/apartments popping up in the area.

1 Like

Olā€™ Chapel Street ainā€™t what it used to be, ainā€™t what it used to be.

3 Likes

On the flip side, the CBD has become rejuvenated with retail, especially overseas fashion imports of middle to high end.

As well as the endless array of maga shopping centers about the place.

Chapel Street is also chronically gridlocked at all times of the day and week, trams alike.

1 Like

Good spruiking there.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t know Trump has involvement in the shopping centres of Melbourne.

6 Likes

Chapel Street is being advertised quite a lot on Gold at the moment, they must be trying to get people to come back there

I think the new food court layout is fine, but I agree the lower level near JB Hi Fi is too dark especially the corridor between Coles and Aldi/Woolworths.

1 Like

after shopping from officeworks at east Victoria Park today, I noticed an Aldi supermarket being opened. Aldi has opened new supermarkets across WA this year.

5 Likes

Where in East Victoria Park is that? is that on Albany Highway?
Yeah they haveā€¦ I donā€™t particular like Aldi, will only shop at Coles or Woolies.

2 Likes

Corner Albany Hwy and Hill view terrace.

1 Like