Supermarkets and Retail

Let me out it this way - I live in Foveaux St, Surry Hills.

My aim is to one day move to Shiraz Blends Isle, Dan Murphy’s.

Ever since self serve was introduced years ago I’ve treated it as an unspoken rule, you just use common sense, should be like ‘express’ and the staffed conveyor belts are designed for the bigger weekly or fortnightly shopping.

Given how badly the last person who packed my trolley at a normal checkout, I’ll just go to another supermarket if self serve is blocked to baskets.

5 Likes

Main issue I’ve come across with trolleys in self serve is when people are using it to distract their kids and are therefore using it to scan for 10mins+

Otherwise the rare occasion when all self serves are taken up by people with trolleys which causes long queues, but this doesn’t really happen all that often.

Sometimes I need a trolley if I have dog food or bulky baby supplies, but it’s only a few items. Will use self serve if it’s quiet.

if i’m shopping with my youngest daughter even if i’m picking up just a few things i’ll grab a trolly so she can sit in it.

In the seat or do you let her sit in the basket? Feel like I see a lot of the latter these days. My mother never allowed such behaviour!

definitly in the seat

1 Like

I think the trolley ban at self serve checkouts should only apply in Coles stores in the CBD and also small to medium sized supermarkets in shopping centres (like the one at The Glen) and country towns.

1 Like

Surely it couldn’t be too hard to convert some existing full service lanes to trolley-suitable self serve checkouts.

4 Likes

Coles at Nepean Village in Penrith had at least two self service checkouts with conveyor belts the last time I was there. They worked fine.

That’s exactly what needs to be done to solve this issue.

1 Like

Nah, bollards spaced just short of the width of a trolley at the entrance to the self serve area will solve the problem.

3 Likes

It might then stop some prams getting through though.

And possibly some of their customers.

1 Like

Coles has apparently done a backflip on the trolley ban. I swear they do more backflips than I change my undies

5 Likes

They should be in politics with all their backflipping.

1 Like

Don’t give them any ideas.

1 Like

You know, I think I’ve seen a story with these two spin doctors at least once a week for some years now and it makes me think that it is public pressure running Coles! Backflip galore is an understatement

Side note: according to her social media, Martine was a Nine News Melbourne journalist (it’s a small world)

2 Likes

Woolworths at Eastgardens (one of the earliest self-serve supermarkets I believe) had self-serve checkouts designed for trolleys, with conveyor belts and everything. Don’t know if that’s changed recently.

I personally think that trolleys should be banned from self-serve bays which clearly cannot handle them, especially where the bagging areas can very obviously only handle about a basketload worth of shopping. The trolleys are annoying and block flow in the self service area due to them taking up space and people scanning 100 items in what is essentially an express lane.

Either that, or a 12 items or less policy (which doesn’t necessarily target trolley users) should be enforced.