Supermarkets and Retail

I don’t see a problem with having Christmas puddings sold year-round, but not as a featured display item until December.

Same with hot cross buns. They really should be a year round thing at the supermarket because they’re sooooooo goooood.

1 Like

If they’re available all year round then they can’t be Christmas puddings. :wink:

1 Like

They definitely need to be renamed to Everyday puddings :rofl:

Myer this morning reported an annual loss of $486 million, the worst by the department store since it was listed on the ASX in 2009.

New Myer CEO John King has pledged to turn the retailer’s fortunes around by refocusing on its mid market roots. It will lock in more exclusive brands, launch a new website, ditch clearance floor and hand back entire floors to landlords.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/revealed-myers-big-plan-to-win-back-shoppers/news-story/e51a0f967bce71ce45686540112a83c8

1 Like
3 Likes

The Mumbrella comments are hilarious - so many sour grapes (probably Woolworths execs / marketing which despite their recent rebound has sucked for over a decade at this point).

100% agree though I am not a fan of little shop (and would prefer to see marketing invest money into discounting / better promos) the mass market appeal amongst kids and adults is huge and undeniable, and the methods that they’ve used to improve KPIs ($30/figurine, ergo increasing Average Transaction Value to round $30 blocks) along the way are quite smart.

3 Likes

Little Shop, Little Shop of Horrors.

Even more successful than the “down down” 8 years ago, plus Curtis Stone and their annoying V/O lady?

1 Like

Coles is under fire for introducing a trial ban on trolleys from self serve checkouts at some stores.

That isn’t new and has been the rule at some Coles and Woolworths I have been to for a couple of years.

This is ridiculous. I often take my trolley through there.

4 Likes

Yes please!

Self checkouts should be like express checkouts. Or whatever you can fit into one basket, No big trolleys

8 Likes

I don’t see why people are getting so angry over it. Isn’t the purpose of the self serve area for people to quickly by a few things and head off? If you have a trolley full of groceries it’s much quicker to go through a proper checkout. Plus once you have a few bags of items on the go it’s so much easier to not scan things and get away with it. Clearly that would be the main reason and people are more likely to be stealing / not scanning things properly when they have big trolley’s of stuff. Not to mention people with trolley’s often block the self serve counter next to them because there is not enough space for it.

5 Likes

I take big shops thru all the time. Im not slow and I’m often in and out much before those with much less shops. More like you should be actually able to operate the self checkouts moreso than restricting size!

There should be a separate self-check area for trolley users with a proper space to park the trolley, a larger bagging area etc. There just isn’t space to accommodate them safely in the existing areas especially given the overwhelming lack of consideration most people have for other shoppers around them.

I also think there should be a one person per checkout rule rather than letting entire families mill around getting in the way.

2 Likes

At the Coles in Redfern on Cleveland St (at the local shopping centre affectionately known as “Crack Central”), the only customers with trolleys in the self serve checkouts are meth heads who are trying to shoplift. It’s quite amusing to watch.

The Liquorland in Crack Central opens at 9am. There is a sign at the checkout that reads “No wine sold in casks before 11am”.

Gotta love Crack Central. Always entertaining.

2 Likes

Does the Vintage Cellars at Waterloo 700 metres away have the same policy?

Woolworths at Wolli Creek had this a few years ago with two dedicated lanes with conveyer belt checkouts and a large bagging area that rotated. They got rid of it when they added a cafe and reconfigured the self serve area.

1 Like

I am not sure about the Vintage Cellars in Waterloo. I live in Surry Hills and usually head to the bottle shop at the Clock Hotel or the Aurora Hotel for my bottles of Shiraz. I am quite shocked when I head into a Dr Dans, BWS or Liquorland and realise how much extra I pay for my wine.

P.S. I realise that Shiraz does not need a capital “S”. I am just ensuring that this particular wine receives the respect it deserves. In fact, if it was not for Shiraz, I would not have a problem with alcohol.

Thanks. That explains a lot.