Supermarkets and Retail

A powerful voice in journalism. She will be missed.

6 Likes

One of the world’s largest sports retailers Decathlon will open its second Australian store in Box Hill South in Melbourne’s east in late November this year, taking up the space of former Masters hardware store.

Yesterday I was in a Woolworths that has had no free plastic bags for a couple of months and there were at least three customers going to the service desk demanding bags. The poor lady at the desk sounded very weary as she explained they didn’t have any.

1 Like

I have no doubt that a lot of checkout staff will “forget” to scan one of the 15 cent bags if it means not dealing with abusive customers that are demanding plastic bags.

1 Like

I disagree that customers should have to pay for the environment friendly bags. It’s the supermarkets decision to stop using plastic bags and in the some cases state governments. The cost shouldn’t be passed onto the customers.

If you think about it, more plastic bags will be bought for bin liners etc. In the long run I don’t think we’ll be saving the environment at all.

Now people want a ban on plastic straws and disposable coffee cups. What’s next? Sticky tape.

4 Likes

Thank you!! I agree with your view entirely. Plastic Bags Ban just open the floodgates IMO

If you pay for the bin liners then you’ll use them sparingly. I can’t tell you the amount of plastic bags that get thrown out in my lunch room at work. It’s ridiculous.

People will buy one item at the supermarket, carry it 100 metres back to work and chuck the bag out. There is also a big problem with take away shops which now seem to give you a plastic bag to carry your lunch when previously people would just carry the take away box in their hands. A culture of change is needed.

4 Likes

Decathlon in Tempe (in Sydney) is one of the best stores in town.

A seriously fantastic range of products and they’re all incredibly cheap. They’re open until midnight every day.

All the products were generic branded, but seemed to be very good quality and cheap. There was a very large range of skateboards and scooters that you could test out on the showroom floor. I’ll probably buy my next bike from there.

I think Rebel Sport seriously needs to watch out, because this place will cream them if they’re not careful. The impression that I get from Rebel is that it’s a premium store where most of the products are very expensive.

Decathlon on the other hand feels very accessible and quite affordable. It feels like what you’d get if you found the place where Aldi gets all the sporting goods they offer in their special buys, and presented in a Kmart style big box format.

2 Likes

I do my bit by recycling what I can at home and work. But at the end of the day, corporations contribute to the world’s waste at levels we can’t even comprehend. Eradicating every plastic bag, straw and coffee cup in the world will make a blip of difference.

2 Likes

Many people are lazy. I’m meticulous about doing the right thing at home by separating recyclables and composting food scraps but have given up at work. You’d think the generation that grew up with recycling would be a little more conscious about what can and can’t be recycled. I got sick of fishing plastic out of the bins and trying to educate people so I no longer bother. People will become accustomed to paying for plastic bags and dispose of them in the ways they always have. This environmental initiative is the equivalent of trying to quell an out of control bushfire by pissing on it.

2 Likes

Any expo or convention I go to, I’ve been making a point of grabbing all the reusable bags I can. :wink:

One day, a ceiling-high stack of plastic bags will topple over and crush your body under it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt that very much. :wink:

Won’t be needing a body bag then! Job already done.

2 Likes

There are two things here and it’s important to separate the two

1. The idea behind charging is to change behaviour, at 15c a bag it doesn’t take many shops for it to start becoming a significant additional cost - now many people won’t care, but for others it will encourage a change to the way that they shop.
  2. The reality is that the retailers are making money off this - the profits aren’t really being invested in environmental schemes (although I see Woolies are doing some kind of funding for Landcare, but for one-year) , it’s going to their bottom line.

Ok, it’s inconvenient, but I can guarantee you the world isn’t going to end between now and July when the bans kick in.

And in many respects it’s time to consider moving away from these products - single use plastics are a scourge of the modern age, it’s a manufactured material that we have adopted in such volumes that we can’t dispose of it properly - recycling it is difficult (and complex rules exist) so it ends up in landfill which is expensive to run and environmentally damaging

And our retailers are some of the worst offenders, but we have to start somewhere and send a message that plastics use needs to be curtailed

We need to stop living in the present and start thinking about the future in many ways and the environment is one key area we need to do a lot more work on protecting - and everyone needs to play a part in that.

2 Likes

Woolworths in Perth city were giving away the new 15c bags for free today. Not sure if it was due to having no stocks of the usual bags left or to ‘sell’ the ban.

For what?

5 Likes

They wouldn’t hold back the water from the floodgates, that’s for sure

4 Likes

Coles in Frankston have confirmed they’ll be getting rid of the plastic bags on July 1.

1 Like

Would Scrapping Billions Of Single Use Non Biodegradable Plastic Bags would Save the Companies Millions In Revenue Annually?