Supermarkets and Retail

Keep in mind several businesses have posted massive “losses” of this kind (especially considering the write down is primiarly of the “goodwill” and “brand name”) in recent years as a tax evasion measure.

I don’t think Myer is going anywhere any time soon but I do expect them to reduce their bricks and mortar footprint further - long term I can’t see Myer or DJs having more than 50 bricks and mortar locations nationally, at least in the current store format.

1 Like

The sign at the Countdown supermarket, Auckland Airport.

6 Likes

These Lays Stax were in the USA foods section in Coles. I had to buy them, though haven’t opened them yet.

5 Likes

Coles and Woolworths increased their prices of whole roast chicken by $1 this week and experts reckon the “price war” is coming to an end :thinking:

3 Likes

And in other news, Red Rooster shares have just shot up!

5 Likes

All I know is the Perth Myers in the city, need a fricken face lift… Cracked tyles, horrible cafe with dated colours from the 1992.It would be a great start giving the myers here left behind a complete do over. Also replace the grumpy staff members who are constantly without fail always rude to customers from when I have been in there.

For me Myers has been overpriced for me to pay anything, I always shop over seas for my clothes these days. But I do cut through Myers to catch the train to see what’s new and stuff. I honestly don’t know what they can do, the business is not doing well…

I think maybe a merge with David Jones could be on the cards if both are doing that bad? Probably a bad idea…but still.

It’s long, long overdue (On the cards since 2012) and will be completed as part of the Forrest Chase Redevelopment (which will also substantially reduce the square meterage of the Myer lease, although apprently not the retail floor space from what I first heard years ago). Said redevelopment has only just begun in the last few months and the entire block is a massive eyesore since they terminated the leases of basically everything apart from Myer and Woolies.

Woolworths announced late last year it would phase out single use plastic bags by June 30. Today it put up a full page ad on page 2 of the Herald Sun (and most other News Corp metro papers) revealing all such bags will be gone on June 20. From that date, you have to bring your own bag, buy thicker reusable bags at 15c each, or canvas bags at 99c each.

1 Like

It was announced a couple of days ago that 2 Woolworths and one Coles supermarket in Queensland would stop supplying plastic bags today.

1 Like

Good. I’ve been using cloth bags for years and it’s fine.

2 Likes

Same in WA & VIC.

Call me an environmental vandal, even though I do reuse the plastic bags responsibly, but I have a stash of supermarket plastic bags in the boot of my car that should keep me going for several years. I’m going to get strange looks in a couple of years when I pull them out to bag the groceries.

2 Likes

Are you the guy quoted at the end of the article? :thinking:

I had no doubt that I wasn’t the only one taking more than I need while they were free.

When supermarkets and other retailers get serious about the overuse of plastic and stop stocking items in unnecessary packaging, I might start to see this as more than a corporate money grab. Watch the range of plastic bags explode in the supermarkets as people start having to purchase bags for the purposes the shopping bags were used for. There won’t be any gain to the environment, just the bottom line of supermarkets and the producers of the bags.

3 Likes

Well look to evidence from places where bags have been banned before making announcements like that.

1 Like

Research shows plastic bag use continued in South Australia when they banned the “single use” bags. Sales of plastic bags shot up six fold. Those thicker, heavier bags the supermarkets will be selling are much more damaging to the environment. Only one in three recycled those re-usable bags in S.A.

2 Likes

“continued” doesn’t say how big the drop was

“sales of plastic bags shot up” well they would as you didn’t need to buy them previously

Is this a government / legislation thing? Or just the retailers themselves doing this?

People are lazy and indifferent. Most will end up paying the .15c for the heavier bags and buy bin liners. We’re replacing lightweight plastic bags with thicker ones. There is no gain to the environment and you’ve been conned if you think there is.

5 Likes

ok tinfoil hat

1 Like