Supermarkets and Retail

Where is John Durkan from Coles going?

Heading up Myer would be a dream. Someone with a track record and understands service, numbers and Wesfarmers experience.

Myers service is terrible. The whole thing needs to be cleaned out and started from scratch. Dated stores, nil service, nil strategy.

Myers needs a huge overhaul.

2 Likes

Spotted this in a el cheapo shop today.

9 Likes

At $2 per 100, you can’t argue that it isn’t buying low.

3 Likes

Target Stores in Colac and Horsham could be shrunk to 1,500 sq M.

I have a friend living in Canada that spotted Dick Smith branded merch en masse in a cheapo shop over there about 6 months ago. Guessing it’s whatever the OEM manufacturer had left over that wasn’t paid for before Dick Smith went bust.

9 Likes

Should’ve offloaded them to this Bi-Lo

6 Likes

I had no intention of shopping at Target but was curious to see the Northland store all closed up and security doors all bolted down in the middle of the afternoon.

Just a brief sign taped on the store window stated that the store was closed due to a power outage. The store appeared to be in darkness but some LCD screens were still on.

Kmart which is nearby was still open but appeared to be also impacted as the lights seemed to be only partially on. Wandering through the centre there was also some areas where lighting was also off or running in a limited capacity.

No idea what was going on. The rest of the centre seemed to be operating business as usual but some sort of supply issues affecting part of the complex it seems. Must have been pretty severe to cause Target to just close up shop entirely.

Wonder if they’d still come with the screw in converter from F-type to PAL? Would likely be really confusing getting one of those with a North American coax cable.

That said, those are really good cables - I still use ones bought from Dick Smith in my house - nothing stocked in any retail store now is anything like the quality.

One thing I was happy with a few weeks back was buying a plastic tub from Coles which still had the orb on the logo. Hopefully the new owners of Coles bring back the orb!

3 Likes

BIGW selling old stocks of Woolworths Wish gift cards. They still show Thomas Dux, Masters and Dick Smith.

9 Likes

Oh Masters, may it rest in peace…not.

3 Likes

Story about Costco’s arrival in Wait Awhile

4 Likes

Makes sense that they’d have a 2nd store in the planning, just opening one store in Perth couldn’t be all that viable in the long term considering how isolated Perth is (one of the key reasons that Aldi took so long to come here).

As someone that works nearby to the planned Perth Airport site I’m looking forward to the cafeteria more than anything else.

3 Likes

I was wondering who is going to Costco for a $6 Chicken. But I guess it’s viable.

Costco is great, but at the moment out closest one is in Docklands, a 30-50 minute drive. That will change once they open the one currently under construction five minutes away from our house.

Guess it depends on how far you live from a Costco. You wouldn’t go there just for the chook either. I usually go for the petrol and grab whatever else I need while I’m there.

Myer has posted a heavy first-half loss, weeks after sacking its CEO.

1 Like

I think Myer should just pack it in.

Well, that’s an over reaction.

4 Likes

I’m obsessed with MYER. I spend enough there I’m surprised they are in this state. I don’t know what the answer to this is though. Perhaps a complete revitalisation - a change in concept. I don’t know. Its quite upsetting.