Supermarkets and Retail

That’s. My. Point.

1 Like

I’m not impressed be some of the decor in the newly refurbished Woolworths stores. The flooring is an improvement but the faux wood effect on the walls and the lettering distinguishing the departments looks like it’s straight out of the 1970s.

My local is doing a refurb right now. I like the wood, the floors are much better.

I’m not a big fan of them.

I would prefer to be served by a real person, but at my local Coles, Woolies and Big W, there’s usually 2 checkout operators on and theres people queued up with heaps of stuff.

There’s often queues to use the self serve ones too.

1 Like

I used to be not a fan of self serve checkouts, but after trying it out once after changing from using cash to using Visa payWave a few months ago now I love it, especially when only buy a few items. I find the self checkouts at Woolworths slightly easier to use than the ones at Coles. My local Woolworths could improve by having more self serve checkouts, currently they only have 6, compared to my local Coles 14 self checkouts.

My supermarkets are the opposite.

Woolies has a lot more self service checkouts than Coles.
There is rarely a queue for these at Woolworths, unlike Coles.
Interestingly, Woolies also usually has more checkout operators on too.

I agree that the Woolies ones are slightly easier to use too.

1 Like

The Coles ones too often require the assistance of a staff member, the Woolworths ones are more reliable

1 Like

Godfreys has been forced to close eight stores as it posted losses three months in a row in February-April.

Castle Hill Target in Sydney has had self serve registers for about six months.

How’s this as the result of a shopping trip? Strong winds cause the Woolworths at Cleveland sign to fall across two cars.

9 Likes

Coles has dropped the Starburst lollies from its shelves due to poor sales. Woolworths dropped them back in 2015.

I don’t really blame them. They were too hard to chew for my liking and most of the flavours were horrible.

2 Likes

I understand I’m getting older but Starburst are a relatively recent product in Australia are they not? I don’t recall seeing them around until maybe late 1990s. Always found them too sweet (if that’s actually possible for lollies).

And really, how is this even news! I’m sadder that newsrooms around the country are finding this newsworthy. I’m sure other shops will sell them!

2 Likes

I’m more concerned about being unable to find Fantales at Woolworths. Their website says they stock them but I haven’t been able to find them in any supermarket I’ve looked.

Well that’s because…

3 Likes

I really dislike the gummies. They are far too sour for my liking.

I do enjoy the chews, though.

1 Like

Sisters Supa IGA at Lakeside Joondalup in Perth is set to close. They’re blaming increased competition from Aldi and the reaction from Coles and Woolworths to Aldi’s arrival. 4 supermarkets in one shopping centre was always going to end in tears.

4 Likes

Big W at Forest Hill Chase in Melbourne’s east will close on June 17 due to end of lease. The store opened in 1997.

3 Likes

With Toys 'R Us closing down in the US and the UK, will they be closing in Australia as well?

We don’t know yet, Toys ‘R’ Us Australia has previously said it will operate as normal.

1 Like

The articles I’ve seen have provided mixed messages, still seems to be business as usual for now as they continue to generate catalogues and their social media presence has stated they aren’t closing.

1 Like