Super Radio Network

Passed through Tamworth earlier this afternoon and 92.9 were live and local from Scully Park for the “Buy A Bale” Farmer Support concert.

Well done to them!

2 Likes

Another observation about the news bulletins on the FM network.

What I thought may have presenters stumbling over their words - today it sounded more like audio drop outs and/or audio coding issues. It would happen several times during the short updates.

Has anyone else thought this too?

They are generic. I send an email to the studio with a certain subject heading. All the 30 sec weathers on 2GF are renamed using a BAT file and the generic Storm Warning overwrites those files. We cancel the same way and the old files are renamed back to their original. FM is similar overwriting the 30 second pointers. After 90 minutes those files are restored to the original content. Therefore if I am at the pub and we get a storm alert we just send an email to the studio using a phone. Takes 15 seconds.

4 Likes

Well done @Paul_Covo_Covington, that’s 15 more seconds than many other stations and networks sadly devote to such coverage.

This is what radio should be all about, be it a national event in a town such as the Buy a Bale concert or being immediate with storm updates, radio is immediacy.

3 Likes

That’s great! Thanks Paul :+1: appreciate your posts again as always

3 Likes

especially when they tried to pass off the Grant Goldman breakfast show as “local” :wink:

1 Like

Rural news a real treat today:

“Deciminated”, try decimated.

“O.R.D region”, try Ore. It’s not an acronym.

“Nooose”, try news, this isn’t the US.

Plenty more clangers, that was within the thirty seconds it took to find a new station in the car.

Least they’re consistent.

3 Likes

@crankymedia did it happen to be Monique Diaz doing the report?

1 Like

I didn’t have the misfortune of hearing the beginning, but likely was her, I recall an excruciating evening bulletin of hers some weeks ago and again on a weekend afternoon.

1 Like

Yeah she is in training mate, she is slowly getting better as she gains more experience

3 Likes

Blimey that is sad.

I try not to be ageist but surely if they just got a semi retired newsreader who was a bit older to come in and read the news? They could run a class on English grammar and Australian and overseas place names during the breaks…

2 Likes

today I finally found and fixed the issue with 4AK where the previous tech had mono-ed out the audio leaving the 4AK studio… So as of 15:45 today, 4AK is Stereo in Stanthorpe on FM 99.5. It is also stereo right to the input of the audio Processor at the 1242 AM Site pending the reinstall of a AM Stereo Exciter and the Orban 9100A should when and if we decide to go back to AM Stereo on 1242.

Reports welcome from Stanthrope if someone beats me to taking a trip through there :wink:

9 Likes

Yeah guess it is what happens when you love what you do for work :smiley:
A report would be awesome @crankymedia

5 Likes

Yeah its great to see your passion, it great to see.

5 Likes

Fantastic news, I might be out that way in a month or so, I’ll check it out then

Selfishly speaking, I would love you to get 1242 back in stereo, that signal gets to me here a lot better than 4WK does, and the fact you play much more music on that station makes it even more appropriate too

While I’m thinking about it too, is the below photo just my tuner playing tricks on me? Something is triggering the red stereo light on 972 pretty regularly after dark here. Does it in both narrow and wide mode

2 Likes

We are hoping to put it back in stereo just a matter of getting the required gear working and tuned up… 4WK was easy as it was just a stereo card in the BE and a AM Stereo processor…

4WK is the talk network, 4AK is basically the SRN FM network but on AM here in the darling downs

nah Radio 97 is not Stereo 97 anymore :wink: must be a false trigger likely from two stations coming together, i get that sometimes with ABC 747 at night here in Toowoomba if I have a weak signal… the JX-220A is a multi system AM Stereo Receiver so would be triggering one of the systems

3 Likes

BTW have 2x JX-220A above the work bench here in the 4AK Workshop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, I figured it was probably a red herring, but thought I would ask just in case

Lovely to see the old tuners still at work. Good luck with 4AK too - keep us posted, though I’ll keep an ear out from here too

And good to see you’re staying hydrated on the job :+1::smile:

1 Like

Both of them are actually my personal units, the old 4AK Realistic TM-152 that Jim Vassey had but in the 80s is now in the manager’s office so he can listen to 4WK 963 in AM Stereo

Actually it’s water for the soldering iron, I mainly run on Coffee hehe

5 Likes

Triple Z Lismore is live twelve hours/day throughout the holiday shutdown that other networks observe.

Kara is live in the Lismore Media Hub broadcasting drive. Population of holiday towns in the region increases by many multiples, all potential audience for clients.

Should add, ZZZ running timely happy new year messages, good to hear.

I know we often have a laugh about Uncle Bill’s stations, today what I heard, this station is sounding good for its market size.

Tonight:

Interesting driving north, listening to the 2SM talk network, summer nights 6pm - midnight is filled by Marcus Paul who has had a lot of callers, gone through more than “Gilbert’s grannies”.

At least among the calling audience, there’s a different audience there. Good use of the theatre of radio to move callers on and add to the impression that there’s demand for air time.

7 Likes