Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

My point is Woolies could give them a lot more.

$50,000 isn’t very much when you consider the scope of the drought and the fact that Woolies relies on these farmers for their profits. They could be giving much more, and they could also do it without needing to promote that fact on Sunrise, but they instead went for the promotional route which makes them seem generous but is more of a PR stunt.

4 Likes

Of course more money would be better and the amount is a drop in the ocean but it’s a start and yes it’s provides free publicity… Which is not surprising at all.

1 Like

I actually don’t mind the light blue/teal colouring, sort of circa 2007. It is rather refreshing given everyone is using royal blue.

I wasn’t really a fan of the guest weather presenters this week (why not wait until summer when James Tobin isn’t available). But it was good to start and finish the week with two soap icons.

You guys ever googled?

7 Likes

Friday -

4 Likes

Even if it is, why bag them for doing something,
instead, why not rat out all the other multi million $ conglomerates that are doing nothing instead
lets just hope this gesture sets a trend

3 Likes

James Tobin is on holidays.
Monique and Basil are reading the weather.

2 Likes

Monday -
Nat co-hosting with Kochie and Angie Asimus reading news.
Also Sam Mac is back presenting weather.

Nelson Aspen is presenting Entertainment.

4 Likes

Really strange arrangement with Eddy, when you don’t have a newsreader. Why not get Sam Mac to present the weather from drought affected regions?

Strange also not to use Monique, Sally, Angela Cox or even Simon Reeve on the news; they are more familar with their time on WS.

1 Like

I actually quite like that teal text over the horrendous royal blue.

1 Like

Angie is going be on all week. She’s a great newsreader and has a little bit of a profile from her presenting roles at Seven.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m liking Angie Asimus this morning. She brings something fresh to the program

2 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/tv/which-one-of-these-breakfast-shows-has-already-won-the-2018-ratings/ar-BBLwZ1P?ocid=spartanntp

A fortnight ago, Channel Nine declared its Sydney news bulletin had won the 2018 ratings – five months out from Christmas. But in doing so, it created a problem for itself: the network must now concede its Today show has already lost the year.

If a program notches up at least 21 weekly wins – as Nine News in Sydney did – it can claim an outright majority.

Such assertions infuriate other networks, which insist that annual average audiences – calculated at the end of the 40-week period – are the superior yardstick.

So far this year, in the five biggest cities, Today has lost all but one week to Seven’s Sunrise.

Last year, the race was tighter: Sunrise had to wait until September before hitting the 21-week milestone.

4 Likes

Angie is a good newsreader (better than Sally and Eddy) but I don’t think she is the best choice, when they have their weekend team available (they are supposedly understudies).

The question is if Nat called in sick tomorrow, could Angie host?

1 Like

I think just because their the weekend team, they are not automatically the ‘understudies’. I’m just confused as you’ve said she isn’t the best choice, yet is a better newsreader than two permanent members of the team? I think if Nat did happen to call in sick, Angie could host, but they wouldn’t do that. I think they’d be a phone call to Monique or Kylie, or Eddy would be on her way back.

1 Like

No, the question is who do they have who can fill in for Nat when necessary? Eddy and Monique, then…Angela Cox? But she is with SN so not a reliable option. Sally Bowrey? Not the greatest newsreader these days and has young children to manage. Jodie Speers? Jacqui Felgate? Ann Sanders? Starting to clutch at straws here…

One of Sunrise’s big advantages over Today is the strength of their backup team but it takes time and experience to build the profiles of your non-core presenters.

And for all we know there are bigger forces at play (ie a pregnancy or imminent departure/move within the network).

2 Likes

I think you’re getting a bit too far ahead of yourself here.

What you are asking is that if Sam is away and Nat is sick while filling in… who would present if Monique, Eddy, Kylie and Angela are not available?

It’s unlikely to happen.

No, I mean who do they have who can fill in to present news (ie fill in for Nat, not fill in for Sam).

I don’t expect Angie to make regular appearances but she might pop up for a week or two during the summer or on Weekend Sunrise from time to time. Basically what Angela Cox was doing before she started with SN and stopped being available on a regular basis.

They are still the same people, perhaps aside from Kylie.

Angela has still been filling in. I’d suggest she would still be third in line after Eddy and Monique. In the rare occurrence that all three are unavailable we end up with someone like Angie.

I’m not sure that you would need to cater for that scenario very often. You have to draw a line somewhere. Needless to say there are many capable newsreaders who could fill in if needed.

1 Like