Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Looks quite good.

5 Likes

Would anyone happen to have any caps? (my stupid machine wasnā€™t working).

The current performance area is quite pokey IMO so I was surprised that the desk fitted nicely.

I do agree with your points (loved Georgie and Lisa on Today). But I think the comments you are referring to is in relation to frequency. Since Hoda replaced Lauer on NBC, Nat has been Kochieā€™s main fill-in when previously she only co-hosted with Mel/Sam rarely.

I do agree that Sam and Nat make great hosts but I feel Eddyā€™s letting the team down. Monique or Kylie would be great options.

2 Likes
5 Likes

:-1::-1::-1::-1::-1:

1 Like

I actually think itā€™s a smart succession plan. Basil has been a delight this year on Weekend Sunrise.

7 Likes

Not to mention he isnā€™t as polarising as Kochie. He also works well with Sam.

7 Likes

:joy: You can start watching Today now.

6 Likes

How would this be sustainable? It was bad enough that he joined Weekend Sunrise!! This is just another case of ratings over common sense!! Basil is still based in Perth and lives there, if this is indeed true which Iā€™m guessing it isnā€™t, it is just speculation, what would it mean for his job at Seven News Perth and with Perth audiences who know him so well? Of course I think Kochie shouldnā€™t leave, he is like the best part about Sunrise for me but that is a whole other story. If he should be replaced, again I say it should be with someone like Musher who actually lives in Sydney, not the other side of the country. I just donā€™t understand why they keep persisting with Basil when he is just crap to me, what do all these people see in him that has been getting Weekend Sunrise these great ratings lately?

2 Likes

As a Perth resident (unless somehow you used to live in Sydney but moved over West at some point?), I wouldā€™ve thought youā€™d be very happy to hear that a local presenter like Basil Zempilas might/will become the new co-host of Sunrise!

Presumably Basil Zempilas may move permanently to Sydney and give up Sports presenting on Seven News Perth (with current weekend Sports presenter Adrian Barich moving up to weeknights) if he becomes the successor to Kochie on Sunrise. In any case, Perth viewers would still be able to see Basil on Sunrise and from a local perspective Iā€™d imagine he would also continue his association with Telethon since that broadcast is a once a year thing.

Personally I think Kochie shouldā€™ve moved on from Sunrise when Melissa Doyle did. And before you ask, Iā€™d say exactly the same thing about Nine and how it wouldā€™ve been the right thing for Karl Stefanovic to move on from Today when Lisa Wilkinson switched networks.

If David Koch continues his association with Seven after moving on as the co-host of Sunrise, I think heā€™d work well as the chief Finance Editor/Reporter for Sevenā€™s news/current affairs programing (think a similar role to what Ross Greenwood has on Nine).

Nah, I reckon Michael Usher should be made the main Sunday-Thursday presenter of Seven News Sydney.

5 Likes

I like Bazil, so for me heā€™s definitely a good replacement for Kochie, who I also find to be a condescending tool. From what I have seen Bazil would suit the weekday role quite well. Heā€™s doing well on Weekend Sunrise. If Kochie does go next year, he would definitely probably be good with the financial editor/reporter for Sevens Current affairs and news. Thatā€™s if he sticks around with Seven.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a W.A reporter taking a gig in the eastern states, itā€™s great to see from my perspective as a fellow W.A board member. Natalie Barr is from W.A. And it shouldnā€™t be really an issue or essential criteria that you must be from Sydney to take the role.

2 Likes

Ratings over common sense? ā€¦ Nah mate, heā€™s obviously doing well and probably well with viewers and management if its part of succession plan post Kochie-Bot.

Well what if he chooses to leave? Itā€™s his decision.
. Heā€™s got other interests (Port Adelaide for example, financial interestse obviously). Heā€™s probably wanting to cut down his work load.

Really so you will cut down off anyway who lives in another state for a chance at a gig like sunsrise because they donā€™t live in Sydney? You do realize that this is a national breakfast show. Not a Sydney Sunrise.

Maybe watch the 7 news Perth feed one time, when heā€™s presenting. He has more of a calm flow, jokey, nice and warmth presenting style while I personally find Kochie more of a stand over, push over, talks down to his viewers and condecending a problem for me . He should have went when Mel Doyle did.

5 Likes

I know this much, that wonā€™t happen. Barraā€™s not presented weeknights for a while now (even filling in), and theyā€™ve gotten Ryan Daniels to when Baz is away. He would most likely replace Baz. it would be weird for Perth if Baz goes to sunrise, as heā€™s been with 7 News Perth for like 20 or so years.

2 Likes

Basil does great on WS and would do a good job as Kochieā€™s replacement. However, it would mean that another host would join WS, and thatā€™s probably not the best option.

If Kochie were to leave (TBH, I think he will slowly reduce his Sunrise appearances and not just leave all together), I would prefer and say that it is likely that Nat and Sam will co-host. This is actually a good succession plan because I would say Sam and Nat will leave Sunrise around the same time and Eddy would move to co-host (which is what they have wanted since was doing weather).

1 Like

Like a lot of others, Having grown up watching Baz on the 6pm news, I think Basil would be a good choice as co-host and Kochie would be perfect in a finance role. Kochieā€™s in his 60ā€™s and it wouldnā€™t be easy to be hosting 3.5 hours of live TV 5 days a week, on top of everything else he does. Kochie has been a great part of Sunrise but its time to focus on the next generation.

2 Likes

Is Basil still doing sport in Perth?

Last time i checked, yes. Plus his breakfast radio show.

2 Likes

Oh Travis thanks for confirming he still does his radio show. What days? Itā€™s 6pr?

Agreed Nat and Sam would be my preferred hosts as well.

4 Likes

Have Beretts alongside Nat and Iā€™d agree with you! :wink:

1 Like

Surely he must have a day off?