Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Incorrect. They were protesting about land rights and the Stolen Generation segment from a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Fair enough, all I could see or hear was land rights.

I really hope they don’t retreat to a studio come tomorrow…

im pretty sure it was about land rights

Even still, their ignorance toward one aspect of Indigenous issues makes them a perfect target for a variety of other Indigenous causes, all of which are intricately linked.

2 Likes

Agreed. That’s why when sunrise do these stories they need to do a lot more research and talk to aboriginal community leaders to get a real in-depth fact about the isues .

1 Like

I can agree with what you’re saying but it also relies on the protestors actually saying something too and allowing a discussion, rather than just repeating their slogans over and over and now with a microphone.
I’ve seen several times in Tasmania where when dealing with any issue with the Aboriginal Corporation it quickly descends into protests and land rights protests and often getting violent and nothing ever gets achieved or discussed.

1 Like
1 Like

You need to speak with a representative not just go into a crowd.

2 Likes

The Aboriginal protestors will be back tomorrow, it seems. On news.com.au:

1 Like

not if the police gets them 1st which im sure they will and hope they do

1 Like

The police were standing right there this morning. The protesters weren’t breaking any laws. It’s a public beach. Choose to broadcast from a public space, then be prepared to be faced with whatever comes your way.

8 Likes

“I welcome feedback.”

Pretty sure the attitude at Sunrise is ‘my way’ unless it is positive.

Not really Sam’s fault.

1 Like

Some of the stuff they were saying was terrible. The threats they made were terrible. As Kochie said, lots of parents take their kids to the Sunrise set on the Gold Coast and they had to put up with this. This does what they are protesting about no favours. Sunrise does a lot for the Aboriginal community, as highlighted by Kochie and who could forget the opening ceremony which had a heavy Indigenous theme, and that matters because this group has been protesting a lot throughout the Comm Games, not just at Sunrise.

2 Likes

I think Sunrise handled this very well (the protesting today). Kochie and Sam justified, IMO, the reasoning behind moving Nat to the CG media centre and bringing in Police.

Of course they have a right to protest, but really it isn’t helping their cause. From the two Twitter posts, you can’t hear what they are even saying, it is just yelling ( and actually made we want to stop the video) and chanting.

The personal attacks/threats on Sam, too, are unwarranted.

1 Like

Screaming, yelling swear words, and threats made were terrible. No protest should be doing that, it only serves to defile the purpose of the protest. Keeping it peaceful would have been worked out better. People bring the kids to the beach, safety has to come first for sunrise staff and the people around the vacinity of the protest.

1 Like

For those on here saying that they (Sam and Kochie) should go out and speak to the protesters… probably not the best idea.

Adding my personal opinion I don’t think these protesters represent the voice of all the indigenous people, I think the people on the beach are entirely there to start shit and generate headline.

2 Likes

I suggested that, considering how heated it is currently, probably would end up in some sort of verbal and physical altercation.

I did suggest earlier that there has to be someone from the Aboriginal community who is willing to come to the party to explain and educate the Sunrise team at the Aboriginal history of this land, what they went through and how the stolen generation has affected not just the kids but the parents who had their kids taken away from them. They missed the mark, entirely. I understand the anger from their side , of course , but when it comes to these sorts of journalistic tactics as seen when the original segment aired, and the idiotic comments were said, it was bound to bring out the protesting. Australia has learnt nothing in my opinion. It doesn’t help we have a government who dont want to even recognise them in the constitution. Pretty sad if you ask me.

No they don’t voice all, but not everyone on the beach was there to cause trouble, there would have been there for a few there for the trouble making, but i doubt all of them were. Thats just general stereotyping.

The protesters are not from the GC. They came to the GC for the specific purpose of protesting. The local Yugambah elders have condemned their protests which have ranged from burning the Australian flag on Kirra headland, disrupting the baton relay, and protesting outside the opening ceremony. All of those protests were about land rights. The Sunrise protest was more. It was directly related to the Stolen Generation segment which Seven has handled extremely poorly. Koch telling protesters to “do their homework” just adds fuel to the fire and will encourage the protesters to return. Seven need to address the issue. Why not get representatives from the local people, not protesters, and have a discussion with them.

1 Like

Sam saying ‘nasty and vile’ probably only made it worse. It shows the show, and Sam in particular is a million miles away from when Boland used their privileged position to achieve positive change. Sam and Pell are home amongst the tabloid reacionaries.

1 Like