Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

That is often the way they do the opener when a guest presenter is in the chair. Nothing to be too concerned about :joy:

Suspense. LOL.

2 Likes

Are you referring to just Weekend Sunrise? Whenever I see the openers on Sunrise and there is a fill in, they always read the openers taking turns as would normally happen with regular co-hosts. I rarely ever see openers with just one person reading the headlines like this morning, it seems too disjointed or something. I know this is what it’s like with the news but when you are expecting two co-hosts, you expect both to read the headlines. They really shouldn’t be pre-recorded either; what’s wrong with reading them live? Have they gone tacky with this in recent times too, like many other interviews I see that they try to make appear live but clearly are not; they’ve been pre-recorded. I would gladly like to know when else you have this happen; it certainly can’t be too common.

Oh it was such a nice, quiet week. :wink:

10 Likes

Think you might be overthinking/analysing things a little. Perhaps pop the remote down and go for a little wander outside, kick a ball around or something.

8 Likes

Woah, woah. Steady on. Let’s re-wind a tad.

@Bort said Mike Amor reading Seven News Melbourne?

Huh indeed.

Just mentioning what’s been stated in the Seven News Presenters and Reporters thread, Lukey Boy.

1 Like

James Tobin is presenting the weather from Norfolk Island with Ray Martin joining him for some of the crosses this morning.

3 Likes

58 AM

I think its safe to assume that Tim McMillan will be taking Andrews place on Weekend Sunrise, this is the second post on Tim’s social media account in which someone has mentioned Sunrise and he has liked the posts.

7 Likes

You have got to be joking!! I would much prefer Matt Doran over him and that’s saying something. Tim has had no experience on Sunrise whatsoever; dedicated viewers wouldn’t have a clue who he is. The fact that he was axed from Nine News Perth says something doesn’t it; keep him away from Sunrise!!

Nine offered him a new contract. He didn’t accept the terms.

8 Likes

How do you suggest they introduce us to new faces then? Someone needs to replace Kochie eventually. It’s not like they’re replacing the whole team. Monique, Sally, Simon and James will all still be there. I think Weekend Sunrise is in safe hands with Tim.

2 Likes

He’s had experience on Today, and if I recall Matt Doran, Basil and Michael Usher had no experience on TV Breakfast shows nor did Andrew when he began on Weekend Sunrise a long time ago.

9 Likes

Who do you want on Weekend Sunrise then? Mark Ferguson?

6 Likes

Tim McMillan has loads of experience. As a reporter and a presenter. He got a lot of positive feedback via social media when he hosted today in the Summer’s of 2015/16 and this year. IMO Weekend Sunrise would be in great hands.

3 Likes

Not someone from another network who hasn’t really been introduced yet to this network, particularly taking on such a major role. I hate all the jumping ships that has been happening recently. Can’t we just use talent that each network has or get someone completely new who is not associated with any particular network yet for these major roles. Like I said, I think all the other potential suspects are fine when compared to potentially using someone fresh from another rival network. If he was to go to Seven, he should start in a smaller role so people can get used to him on another network first. It just looks bad that he is going from news and fill ins on a breakfast show on one channel to one on another channel, particularly when they are supposed to be rivals.

You’d rather they use somebody that is inexperienced or not as good? You want journalists to stay at one network forever? That’s crazy.

By the way, jumping networks is nothing new. If you look at the careers of many veteran journalists, they have likely worked at two, three or more networks in their career.

11 Likes

Not really. It doesn’t look bad at all. Again. Kind of getting fixated on the little things most people wouldn’t think twice about. Don’t mean to be rude.

9 Likes

Well we haven’t had confirmation RE Tim McMillan on Sunrise/Weekend Sunrise as of yet. So who knows what’s happening behind the scenes.

Also just want to make a note RE “hasn’t been introduced slowly to a new network”. The late Ian Ross spent 38 years at Nine Sydney first as a reporter, then news presenter on Today and fill in presenter for National Nine News. He retired in 2001, and by late 2003 became the main weeknight anchor for Seven News Sydney - almost 2 years after retiring. When he started at 7, he went straight for a major role - no mucking about.

So if it’s proven for Tim to start with Sunrise, let him make the role his own, it’s all been done before.

2 Likes

From Tim’s time on Today, he is capable of hosting a breakfast. However, I think he is a boring choice with little persona, which AOK and Kochie both arguably have. He will likely do better on the Friday than the weekend, as Sam is a strong host.

I think what @Mitchell_Nock was trying to say before is that it is better for Sunrise to appoint a familiar face (someone who regularly fills, apart of the family) or at least someone well-known. I too think Matt, Basil or Mike Amor would do a better job.

1 Like

Yes that is what I was trying to say thank you very much @nationalnews.