Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

I pretty much do that now and love it. My family are in Perth and my extended work ‘family’ are Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney. I do this for my career (and I enjoy it) so its feasable.

There are plenty of options for a Baz replacement in Perth without upsetting the way they work. Barra and Ryan are very much apart of the 7 News Perth team.

Try not to be so closed minded about everything.

Id be happy for Baz to take on the weekend role however really dont think itll be him.

1 Like

Easy. It pays well.

1 Like

I can’t see the network forcing a paycut onto him given Nine might be sniffing around for a Karl replacement in the next 6-12 months.

The Chase is so successful (and across a full hour, not just half an hour like DOND was) that it probably justifies his salary by itself anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, but reading sport in Perth isn’t exactly the pinnacle of a career path. Lead presenter on Sunrise is a step up.

3 Likes

POLL

Will Seven ditch the word “weekend” once the new co-host (presumably Friday - Sunday role) begins?

Would be an easy option for coherence.

NB/
Seven would still code weekends as such, for ratings proposes.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I would’ve thought that Micheal Usher woul be the most likely weekend replacement and long term successor to Kochie. With budgets being slashed, I would be surprised if they headhunted outside of 7 or relocated Basil.

2 Likes

That makes a lot more sense. Other than only presenting 7 News Sydney on Fridays & Saturdays normally, he doesn’t really do anything else and I really liked how he went on his trial stints presenting Sunrise in the last year. Matt Doran may be harder in the long run to have as a co-host due to his excessive travel commitments for his reporting for Sunday Night. He should be focusing on this more than Sunrise and I would hate to constantly see a fill-in on Sunrise on these days because Matt is off reporting god knows where for Sunday Night

The promo for Weekend Sunrise tomorrow is all about AOK’s time on Sunrise so I’d say yes he definitely is leaving this weekend.

I did say in my post that this weekend is his last

2 Likes

Sooo saw that coming as Sunrise needed the Weekend Sunrise host to do Fridays as well. Andrew has spoken out that he doesn’t want to do the weekday gig (and the viewers/ratings don’t want him there either). However, this move I daresay was a push not a voluntary resignation.

Matt Doran will definitely do Friday- Sunday in 2018.

Personally, I didn’t loathe Andrew. Yes, he isn’t the best but at least he kept the show lively.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Just need the presser confirming now :wink:

I don’t think so, it’s not like the gig is a glorious role, nor does Andrew have nothing else (i.e.) The Chase.

I did mention that it appeared as though AOK wasn’t in love with the role anyway, seems right given he stepped down and if he was pushed didn’t put up any fight.

But I still say how? I don’t want to see regular fill ins when he is off reporting for Sunday Night and I know he will be on a regular basis. This is the sort of thing I would hate!! How would he be able to do all his reporting for Sunday Night in potentially just 4 days; Monday-Thursday next year when Sunrise would be requiring him the other 3 days. Hmmm…

Who is forcing him to continue on Sunday Night?

1 Like

From Weekend Sunrise supervising producer:
https://twitter.com/StefanMitchell_/status/938933841351151616

I’m sure Matt would take the HOSTING position of the No. 1 breakfast show, over a casual reporting role once a week (if).

He could still do both?

3 Likes

Hope it’s not as bad as his last one

4 Likes

Umm he only just started this year on Sunday Night. He should not be leaving that so soon to be on something else. He has already been established as a member of the Sunday Night team and personally I think he’s a very valuable one. If his destination was always going to be on Sunrise, then why stick him on Sunday Night first? It seems rather pointless to me and a very stupid move by Seven if this does happen. They should have thought through Matt’s role more when he moved to Seven earlier in the year!!

Plus I much prefer his work on Sunday Night over what he has done on Sunrise. I’m still not bought over that he would be any good whenever any breaking news events occur on Sunrise/Weekend Sunrise. At least you guys say Michael is good at this sort of rolling news coverage, which is why I say he would be a great asset to the Sunrise team. Plus his other work wouldn’t be interrupted whereas Matt’s would be.

Lots of people leave jobs quickly for various reasons.

Unless the Seven executives have developed psychic powers, they didn’t know a role was coming up.

Usher? The guy who does Seven News on Friday and Saturday nights? Yeah, those hours would go well with Sunrise.

Nine would want Andrew O’Keefe to replace Karl Stefanovic? I don’t think so. I’d say there is no chance of that.

3 Likes

That one local gig a year is far more important to his career than a national hosting opportunity.