Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

But why make it seem like she was hosting the show. There are more honest ways of doing this; such as describing it as an exclusive appearance or interview + performance, but when you start taking about “hosting” and send out tweets that use “live” twice, that is deceptive - the hosting of a breakfast show is expected to be live, not recorded days in advance.

7 Likes

Exactly right @TV.Cynic that is how it should have been done, not using smoke and mirrors of TV. I just hope I never see Sunrise attempt anything like this again and they listen to all the negative press associated with how they went about filming the show this morning or should I say on Saturday. And @JBar I could never switch over to the other breakfast shows. Can’t you see my profile pic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It didn’t make a big difference to me to have her hosting “Live”, I am not sure who’s idea it was for her to Host in the first place (Record Label or 7). I don’t know why it is “Disgusting” unless you got up early to go watch from Martin Place this morning.

Also “Watch LIVE” is different to “LIVE” if you are watching it as it airs you are watching LIVE.

I wouldn’t call it deceitful, anyone who cares to heavily could easily research to find out what is happening, they would be certain to ensure they are not “deceiving people”.

Breakfast TV used to be full of Pre-Recorded Segments, but they were more often filed stories/reports as opposed to “in studio” pieces.

I am sure some people at 7 were thinking “Oh Crap” when they saw first thing this morning that The Voice were coping flak from the Daily Mail about Katy Perry being at the Airport whilst her performance aired.

I really do not understand the furor at all. But I look forward to reading an in depth article on the Daily Mail later today exposes Studio 10, TMS & Today Extra on prerecording their advertorials.

And now here’s Moira.

5 Likes

Pell, if you didn’t want to deceive viewers and it was allegedly known that the segments weren’t live, the presenters wouldn’t have had the same clothes on. The bad press is not what Sunrise needs ATM.

That’s fine. Like the news, there are mainly reports with the occasional live cross. It is an assumption that if the program is live for the studio pieces one minute, it is for the rest, unless otherwise stated. By the way, a three minute segment is different to having 1/3 of the show pre-recorded.

5 Likes

I really do not understand the level of uproar. They put the call out for an audience members publicly, if they wanted to deceive they could have just run a competition or had friends and family in the audience.

Are we wanting a pre-recorded water mark?

A time limit to what portion or duration of a segment in regards to prerecording?

A TV host to ensure a noticeably different outfit, maybe a white jacket (somebody tell Amber) is worn for pre-recording ?

The outfits are more about providing continuity to viewers.

It has been done for years on almost all networks and commercial radio stations with interviews, appearances, as recently as Jennifer Hudson & Tom Cruise last month. It really does not create that bigger difference. QLD, SA, NT, WA all experience these programs being “pre-recorded” at some stage throughout the year.

I think the only issue should be if the segments are not recorded live, but presented as unedited.

This could have been avoided 10 years ago, when both Sunrise & Today were pushing for 7 day ratings dominance not just Mon-Friday, sunrise had performances in the plaza by the likes of Kelly Clarkson etc during the “weekend” edition.

1 Like

The “satellite” questions from celebrities on Have You Been Paying Attention? sound more believable than what happened on Sunrise this morning, and on HYBPA they don’t hide the fact that they are obviously faked.

6 Likes
1 Like

It seems much of the criticism is based on people’s expectations rather than the realities of scheduling.

I think David Knox’s article above summed the situation up very well.

4 Likes

Maybe it was pre-recorded to distract the usual MediaSpy members complaining that she wasn’t in the hosts chair for the duration of the program, which I am certain would be getting debated right now, had this not arisen. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Seems Manu missed the ‘public’ memo :joy:

8 Likes

The show was indeed taped two days before

Sunrise was such a raw and honest show until Michael Pell came along. Now it’s this contrived, egotistical mess which seems to have lost touch with basic reality.

They get away with it because the competition is either News Breakfast (which has been known to put viewers straight back to sleep again halfway through their cereal) or a cheaper/nastier/Karl-ier version of the same rubbish.

Surely there is an audience for a show that falls somewhere between the two extremes of Breakfast TV?

8 Likes

Two words. Oh Well.

It’s not as though sunrise was advertising it as “Live in the studio Monday” with live bugs all over it. They were honest about it. They would have wanted a live apperence on Monday, but obviously due to her schedule they had to be pre-recorded over the weeekend.
I don’t believe it’s good have prerecorded segments, but what can you do? They want eyeballs and this is how they can get it.

So the pre-recording continues this morning with a Niall Horan interview and performance that was quite obviously recorded at some time in the last week, in fact I think I saw someone mention on social media or on here when he was in studio recording the interview but it’s disappointing to see this trend continue…

There was an audience holding smartphones outside Brekky Central during the taping. Obviously it wasn’t live at all given no “live” bug during the interview.

2 Likes

Once again, an interview was pre-recorded

4 Likes

13 Likes

I am all for the pre-recorded appearances. If we are only going to hear artists who make themselves available at 7am in the morning, I do not know how much Rhonda Burchmore and Patti Newton I can handle whilst I enjoy my coco pops.

3 Likes

Ratings for Katy Perry’s appearance on Sunrise fairly disappointing - 299,000 just ahead of Today with 295,000.

There were quite a few people outside the window. I couldn’t recognise who it was performing. Another office worker asked who it was and one of the girls said Niall Horan from One Direction which was when some walked away. :laughing:

It was me who mentioned it here. It was lunchtime Thursday when I was picking up a cake from a shop near Martin Place and waiting at the bus stop. :wink:

But if they can’t be there live, would you rather not see these performance at all?

4 Likes