Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Did Sunrise win every day in QLD? If so, it seems stupid that Today went to the effort of broadcasting live from QLD on Thursday and Friday.

1 Like

Yes - but large margins.

Exactly why they did. To try and claw back some ground in the state.

1 Like

Exactly. And this week they should be trying to take advantage of Sunrise being overseas and cover the floods in detail.

1 Like

No thank you. I’ve seen enough Flood Coverage to last a life time.

10 Likes

Personally, I think the Sunrise of the mid-2000s probably would’ve postponed or cancelled the “Mystery Tour” and instead head up to Bowen and Airlie Beach to assist residents affected by Cyclone Debbie, with something similar to what they did in Innisfail in the aftermath of Cyclone Larry in 2006.

This breakfast show has lost so much of that community/family feel (which IMO, was one of the reasons why Sunrise successfully managed to snatch the coveted “Australia’s #1 breakfast” title off Today in the mid-2000s) over the past decade.

4 Likes

Stupid Michael Pell taking over was the worst thing that happened to Sunrise.

In 2013, Sam replaced Mel controversially just because Today was within reach. Last year, their relaunch wasn’t too bad but backfired. It only got worse when they did a wedding on Hayman Island (serious WTF, it’s breakfast news TV, not a f**king engagement or a cheaper version of MAFS). This year, mystery tours to the USA. What’s next, expedition to Mars?

5 Likes

Viewers despise the American Tour this week:

The comments from viewers are spot on. Sunrise is out of touch with viewers. Pell thinks he’s a superstar and runs the show as such. The overseas tours turn into an episode of The Lives of the Rich and Famous which isn’t exactly appealing for those mopping half a metre high mud out of their lounge room.

6 Likes

Fairly basic set for Hawaii.

2 Likes

After some poorly rating weeks on these overseas jaunts, I thought they would have given up on these sorts of stunts. I agree it’s not a good look when they should be covering disasters in Australia at this time.

Sunrise had made a comeback this year and has had a huge gap to Today recently. I’ll be very interested to see what happens with ratings this week.

4 Likes

Completely agree, just doesn’t seem right when all they talk about is the flooding and they are in another country. And who cares, viewers don’t care about others trips!

2 Likes

Didn’t their last overseas trip give them a huge ratings boost. Even when Abbott was ousted as PM and they were in London with everyone saying how they are not in the thick of the action, they still beat Today (from memory).

1 Like

The problem is that the main competition Today is also doing a tour at the moment, travelling around the east coast. Switching to Nine you would have seen the breakfast edition of Married at First Sight :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well that stuffs up their chances too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sunrise is bound for the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sunrise viewers have decided Sam, Kochie, Nat and Beretts will board a flight to San Francisco.

Meanwhile, Sam Mac and the Sunrise weather crew will head to the ‘classic’ Californian beach city, San Diego. And Eddy will do some celebrity spotting in the entertainment capital of the world, LA LA Land (Los Angeles). They’re off and have less than 24 hours to get to their next destination.

Seems to be working well from a planning perspective, almost like they picked the locations themselves…

2 Likes

But do we really need that much coverage? Personally I think they went overboard when it’s only affecting small parts of 2 states. If something like that happens in the Northern Territory, South Australia and WA it would only get 1 mention and wouldn’t be the top story…

When it affects thousands of people caught in the storms, evacuated due to cyclone or floods, having their livelihoods taken away from and the cost of produce for the rest of Australia, it is a bigger deal than you make it out to be.

It’s all relative. If the destruction was to the same scale and affected as many people it would be covered in the same way.

1 Like

i fully agree hence why i dont watch sunrise