Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

@nationalnews jokes aside Kochie made a great point that probably every newsreader/host in the country would agree with.
He said
It is funny, we laugh at it,but l would hate for anyone to publicly show what we get up to during commercial breaks.

7 Likes

Here are the highlights of the jokes made this morning:

Monique has done a great job with the Sunrise crew and perhaps should have got a permanent job earlier on after the weather gig.

3 Likes

Denham Hitchcock co-hosting with Eddy and Angela Cox reading news this weekend.
Amanda Abate presenting weather this morning from the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

Nah. She did well but she wasn’t “that” good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Omg this will be interesting to watch…

1 Like

I thought they handled this well. They certainly didn’t go over the top and definitely didn’t bag Amber Sherlock.

2 Likes

I am going to start a crowdfunding project. It is going to raise money so Denham can have his lockjaw treated. He is pure awkward. I feel sorry for Eddy as the pressure is really on her to make the show work - she does a darn good job though.

The only person at Channel 7 who is enjoying Denham’s efforts at hosting Sunrise this morning is Andrew O’Keefe.

2 Likes

James Tobin has been on holidays for a long time.

3 Likes

Talitha Cummins is in a legal battle with the network after unfair dismissal. Very disappointing to see her dumped from the network after 13 years.

7 Likes

Denham needs to stop playing with the pen…he may be nervous, but it’s very irritating in the bottom of the screen

2 Likes

@mirb very disappointing to read this about Talitha,reading another article it does say her casual contract with Seven had ended and she was offered a temporary role reading 5am Early News which wasnt workable for her because her husband works early hours.
Ange said on the show and twitter that she was only filling in for a few months and reading these different articles Talitha was suppose to return next month,obviously Angela will now be the permanent newsreader.
I really like Talitha and l hope she has a really good support network to cope with this situation.

4 Likes

I’m sorry but if she was on a casual contract and it ended then she’s hasn’t got a leg to stand on. They can choose to renew it if they want and they didn’t want.

1 Like

@David of course you’re right about contract renewals and it is not the first time someones contract hasn’t been renewed while on maternity leave.
My point is Seven will definitely cope a lot of flak because in my view her going public on ABC Australian Story about her alcoholism will come into play with her case against Seven. She gained a lot of public support from that interview and everyone will continue that support especially now to make sure she remains strong mentality.

4 Likes

Cummins has been with the network for thirteen years. Is that really the attitude Seven takes to their own? She was on maternity leave FFS.

7 Likes

[quote=“spw68, post:2037, topic:69”]
[Monique] did well but she wasn’t “that” good :slight_smile:
[/quote] I wasn’t suggesting should have replaced Mel but perhaps had Nuala Hafner’s entertainment gig or something. I believe though she is still better with Kochie than Sam is.

[quote=“nickatnights, post:2040, topic:69”]
…I feel sorry for Eddy as the pressure is really on her to make the show work - she does a darn good job though. The only person at Channel 7 who is enjoying Denham’s efforts at hosting Sunrise this morning is Andrew O’Keefe.
[/quote] You do have to remember this is Denham’s first time co-hosting and just his second weekend on the show whereas Eddy has been with Sunrise for some 13 years. But I do agree Eddy does a great job co-hosting.

[quote=“mattrobts, topic:69”]
Talitha Cummins [has been sacked]
[/quote] It is a real shame about Talitha and I hope she is picked up elsewhere. I expect Sally Bowrey to become WS newsreader when she returns from maternity leave.

I think Denham is doing a lot better as co-host this week than he did as a newsreader last week. He seems much better with banter and casual chat than just reading off the teleprompter.

3 Likes

Seven might be in some trouble. This is from Fairwork:

[quote]
Long term casual employees
Some casual employees work regular hours or the same days each week for a long period and become ‘long term casuals’.

Long term casuals stay as casual employees unless they formally change to full-time or part-time employment. They don’t automatically become permanent employees, even if they are called ‘permanent casual’. They get their casual entitlements regardless of how regularly they work or how long they work for.

After 12 months of regular employment, and if it’s likely the regular employment will continue, a casual employee can:

request flexible working arrangements
take parental leave.

They don’t get paid leave or notice of termination, even if they work regularly for a long time.[/quote]

3 Likes

That’s if Sally doesn’t get sacked too, like Talitha has been while on maternity leave.

Think the different is one is a casual and one is employed permanently. Angela Cox coming back has created a surplus of presenters without enough gigs.

Not cool about Talitha. Casual contracts are by their nature more risky for this very reason.

I think Sally isn’t a freelance right?

On another note, although I’m still disgusted by the way Talitha was demoted without any warning, I’m glad they found a role for Angela Cox, who many would agree deserve a permanent presenting role on the network.