Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

I nearly laughed at Nat this morning…

She really looks like she doesn’t want to be there!

Wonder when her contract is nearing an end? Nat (and Beretts) have been doing their gigs for a long time. Wonder if they’ll have the passion to keep going.

Somehow I think they’re under-utilised and being treated poorly.

1 Like

Great news…

5 Likes

I gather they won this morning which is positive. The content is slowly improving and being fine tuned (Seems to be going back to what it was, go figure). The issue with this show is that they dont have anyone that can do an investigative interview. Lots can ask questions off the autocue but an ability to drilll down and investigate is lost on all the hosts. I dont know whether this is a skill or format issue.

1 Like

Which supports what so many have been saying about the unpopular changes made this year.

1 Like

[quote=“spw68, post:945, topic:69, full:true”]
Great news [that Nelson is back]…
[/quote] It was great to have him back this morning that’s for sure. However, couldn’t help but notice he was a little uncomfortable with the cross from Eddy. You can’t blame him can you?![quote=“MarkC, post:946, topic:69”]
The content is slowly improving and being fine tuned (Seems to be going back to what it was, go figure). The issue with this show is that they don’t have anyone that can do an investigative interview. Lots can ask questions off the autocue but an ability to drilll down and investigate is lost on all the hosts. I dont know whether this is a skill
[/quote] Yeah, Pell seems to have reverted the format almost exactly back to how it was pre-Feb 1. As for the interview style, I believe it is a skill that is rarely used or known how to these days. Someone who came straight to mind when I was reading your post was Lisa Wilkinson. The only one on Sunrise who would do questions ‘off the autocue’ is Kochie. That is one of the reasons, the reason Mark you mentioned, that IMO Today is mostly better than Sunrise.

As of Monday, Eddie will be on holidays for two weeks. It will be interesting to see what they do with entertainment. Pell might try ditching it but also try bringing back Nelson.

1 Like

[quote=“nationalnews, post:917, topic:69”]
When Nat has been on before, Sunrise have suffered a massive swing against them but then on other occasions, the ratings are stronger under Nat’s leadership.
[/quote] Just three days ago, Sunrise suffered a big loss. Yesterday, they won by a reasonable amount.

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:951, topic:69, full:true”]
Today won Sydney by 8k and Melbourne by 1k with Sunrise ahead in Brisbane by 4k, Adelaide by 13k and Perth 15k.
[/quote] Still reasonably close though. Even in Perth.

They did indeed. Wonder how it will go over the next week or two.

Today won Sydney by 8k and Melbourne by 1k with Sunrise ahead in Brisbane by 4k, Adelaide by 13k and Perth 15k.

1 Like

The problem with Sam over Doyle is she doesn’t seem to gravitate towards hard news, her reality shows and fashion segments suggests she isn’t interested. THat’s the issue they have on serious topics or hard news days when Doyle and David were at their best. Karl is a tool but puts his feet to the ground on hard news, and Lisa has always been very versatile.

9 Likes

The key to hard news is 1. Doing the research and undertanding the subject matter and 2 having the right informed voice in your ear. Based on what I see this is not working on either angle at Sunrise. Melissa Doyle was the consumate professional and has gone onto bigger and better things. Kochie and Nat use to work at it but reallly dont seem to give a damm know (Look at how Kochie interviews Clive Palmer v Lisa Wilkinson does on Today). And apart from fluff Sam and Edwina dont seem to have any idea. As we move into a election these basics are going to define the success of all the breakfast shows. If we are going to have to put up with pollies they need to be grillled on facts not running down the spin clock.

5 Likes

…and why WS runs rings around Weekend Today. AOK is actually an excellent interviewer. He has sound background knowledge of many topics and can express his thoughts succinctly while effectively questioning the subject. Ratings tell a different story though…

3 Likes

I agree with you but I think once a brand gets on the nose people shop around. I dont always agree with AOK but it comes from knowledge and not a autocue

1 Like

What’s the story with Nelson? I remember Reid leaving today but can’t remember when this happened or anything.

Sam is back from holidays on Monday.

1 Like

Annette Sharp attacking Sam Armytage (yet again) but this time The Daily Telegraph takes the story off its website after Seven makes a statement which proves story is a lie.

What a nasty piece of work she is. Would be nice if someone gave her a taste of her own medicine, but that would be stopping as low as her.
I don’t really know the woman’s work, but a quick look at her Twitter account shows just how low she goes…

1 Like

Almost every article she writes is about Sam. It is beyond pathetic now.

4 Likes

I’m hardly Sam Armytage’s biggest fan (personally I think she’s better at straight newsreading than breakfast TV myself), but those articles from Annette Sharp…it’s a wonder that there hasn’t been any defamation lawsuits over those yet!

4 Likes

Unfortunately she knows that no one will bite back. That’s due to the fact that no one will reduce themselves to that level. But you can’t blame it all on her… The editor lets it get through. Vile. No matter your grievances, Most people would never agree with what she writes.

4 Likes

Armytage has actually bitten back on several occasions, including a segment on Sunrise. She’s best not to respond as that just leads to Sharp going on a social media rampage.

Sharp wrote a disgraceful piece on Jescinta Campbell last year questioning her decision to marry Franklin, due to his battle with depression. Campbell took her to task on Twitter. Kerriann-Anne Kennerley also slammed Sharp after she wrote a piece on women such as Kerri-anne, Sandra Sully , Helen Kapalos etc sacrificing having children for the sake of their careers. She has no boundaries. Stunned she hasn’t been sued by now.

1 Like