Sunrise (2015-Sept 2020)

Throwback to the backdrop on the old 2008 fishbowl!
Looks much better though.
Now if they would re calibrate the plasma wall behind the couch, the screens are terribly mismatched! :confused:

2 Likes

Kochie was in Melbourne last night for the Brownlow Medal count as Port Adelaide chairman.

Sunrise team broadcasting from Melbourne’s Federation Square on Friday morning and Saturday (AFL) grand final day.

4 Likes

Perth will be live from 5.00am

1 Like

Sunrise will have full coverage of the NRL and AFL grand finals this Friday.

1 Like

Whilst Seven News’ US election coverage rates well, Sunrise did poorly yesterday with AOK in the chair and Today doing an OB.

Sunrise was extended to 9.30am this morning in relation to South Australia’s super storm, presumably to counteract Nine News’ special bulletin at 9.00 local time.

1 Like

If only they used Bec Maddern instead of Cox (even though Angela did pretty well) as a fill in for Weekend Sunrise for the 6 months Wright was away, maybe then she wouldn’t move to Nine like she has now (Too late for that now).

1 Like

I think Pell had big plans for Bec with him making her Nat’s main fill-in and as we saw her in studio at the February relaunch. What that plan was, I am not sure (mostly likely to strengthen their Melbourne viewership).

2 Likes

This is the first year I can remember, where Sunrise & Today have been very close & very competitive.

Who is winning (metro) YTD @TV.Cynic?

I know Sunrise had massive figures during the Olympics.

What I’d also be interested in, apart from South Australia & WA, which show is winning Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane?

In brief for the moment - Today has won enough weeks that it can’t be beaten with or without Olympics - if that is how you want to measure success. If average viewers are used, Sunrise leads because of the 2 Olympic weeks - if they are excluded, Today leads. Haven’t got to looking at the cities yet.

4 Likes

Good work by Today. I personally don’t like the team or the feel/dynamic of the show, but credit where it’s due.
The Sunrise relaunch wasn’t well received, and they were too slow to respond to criticism and feedback -whether it was justified or not isn’t relevant really, if it’s turning viewers off. Today seized the opportunity to take the lead.
Now it’s Sunrise’s turn to regroup. I think they need to take a good look and refresh their approach. (I don’t mean sets and graphics). Their growth and success over the last 14 years or so was because they offered something different. As Today has improved Sunrise has been looking over their shoulder rather than ahead.
I’d be looking at the dynamic of the presenting team. Nothing against Sam, but she’s no Mel, that’s all I’ll say. Monique on WS is not successful if you ask me.
How Sunrise cope with a yearly loss will be interesting to watch. Will they respond positively or crumble?

4 Likes

You can’t deny the chemistry with Lisa and Karl, that doesn’t exist between David and Samantha.

8 Likes

I’d be willing to predict that Sunrise will probably slowly crumble in much the same way as Seven News and Sunday Night has in recent years and that it may take Sunrise a decade to get back to the top.

As I’ve said before, Sunrise remained very much the same show (Mel > Sam transition aside) for years. They didn’t innovate, got complacent with their success and when Sunrise finally needed to have a relaunch, they screwed it up and now they’re paying the price. If anything Sunrise are probably copying ideas from Today now (and the same can be said about the main news services, etc.), when it used to be the other way round by quite a large margin.

In contrast, Today has remained mostly the same program it is now for several years. Sure, there’s been a few news/sport presenter changes along the way but both Karl & Lisa have been on the program for nearly a decade now. And how Today have evolved their brand since the 2012 relaunch is way better than anything Sunrise (or Seven’s news/current affairs department in general, really) has done with their brand since about 2011.

3 Likes

Kochie should’ve gone when Mel did. (Not that I thought it at the time). He always said that when she left he would decide whether to stay, he should’ve moved on. I actually am a Kochie fan but if they were going to ditch Mel, they needed to change both. Kochie and Mel had a very special tv relationship which can’t be manufactured and is hard to replicate. If Sam was 7’s preference for the female host, they needed to find her a suitable male partner.
And Mel is a wasted talent. Never thought I’d say it but maybe she needs to leave the network to realize her full potential before the industry regards her as too old. Look at her success and popularity on radio and in other ventures.

2 Likes

Don’t agree with everything you’ve said, but you’ve made some valid points.

I just don’t think it’s a right fit for Samantha, she’d be more suited to The Morning Show. You need someone with a stronger journalist edge who can also be playful, like Mel, David, Lisa and Karl.

6 Likes

I’d probably class Karl Stefanovic as being a presenter who’s personality (and tendency to sometimes get in the headlines for all the wrong reasons) is closer to that of Samantha Armytage rather than how Mel Doyle, Kochie or Lisa Wilkinson have typically shown themselves on and off camera. But maybe that’s just me.

1 Like

Maybe we can swap Larry and Kylie from the Morning Show with Sam and someone else?

1 Like

I would keep Larry where he is.

I would do the following:
Sunrise with Kochie and Nat,
The Morning Show with Sam and Larry,
Seven News Sydney with Melissa Doyle, sport with Kylie Gillies (she is always a highlight at the Olympics),
Seven Late News with Mark Ferguson (very late, he can put Australia to sleep).

Mark could also present Sunday Night instead of a Friday night late bulletin.

The other Mel can go back to sport reporting.

Miss Mel and Kochie together! RIP Sunrise 2002-2013.

6 Likes