Sunrise

Sunday -
Matt is back hosting this morning.

5 Likes

Sorry. But still don’t get the thinking behind cutting off WS at 9am in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
Edit: In Brisbane cricket coverage again needed to continue beyond 9am on 7two because of the premiers press conference on the main channel.
Updated EPG says it’s on 7two now until 10.30am.

2 Likes

With all the breaking news coming out of Queensland, it brings up the age old question - should Sunrise & Weekend Sunrise broadcast live into Brisbane (during daylights savings), and Adelaide all year round?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Personally, I think they should. In my view, it’s unacceptable to be showing news on delay. Of course Perth would be the obvious exception, as their time difference is too big to show the program live.

This would also allow them to broadcast The Morning Show and Seven Morning News live.

So ideally, Sunrise will begin at 5am in Adelaide, and 4:30am in Brisbane during daylight savings time.

Weekend Sunrise would start at 6:30am in Adelaide, and 6am in Brisbane during daylight savings time.

1 Like

Have to add, Weekend Today on delay is just as big of a mess as WS/test cricket on 7.
They take the Qld press conferences live, then go back to the delayed show but keep referring to the press conference as “coming up.” Also puts the show 15 mins or so behind. Just as confusing.

2 Likes

Depends what you are referring to. You can take the approach that Today is doing, which I agree with you is messy. Or if WS airs live, they would finish at 9am local time anyway. I didn’t see yesterday’s, but today 7 Brisbane handled the presser as an update, which I thought was fine.

1 Like

My point is/has been that WS should just air live and then go to the cricket on the main channel at 9.
Delayed is messy.

1 Like

Or they should bring in a presenter from Brisbane and say “Breaking News” on the 7 News brand, and leave everyone else on Weekend Sunrise.

9:00am - normal programming for everyone, except Queensland

9:00am - 7 News Breaking News for Brisbane viewers

5 Likes

I think having the breakfast shows push live elements into all timezones is essential, especially when no network is able to step up to produce local breakfast shows and the only choice for live TV news in the morning outside of AEST/AEDT is ABC News.

As has been evidenced up the thread some, 7 has the tendency to play segments (even news, IIRC) hours after they first aired live. Working from within this system in my view, I think so long as an A block is done live every half-hour or hour containing the essentials, you could “jukebox” the later blocks after first airing and then extend some hosting and reporting duties to produce live A blocks later into the morning for SA, QLD, NT, and even WA. It doesn’t even have to be Nat after 9am - similar to what they do for WA, they play a taped opener and throw to someone in that lovely broom closet studio that used to be for The Latest mobile show to handle news. Newsreader can tease upcoming taped segments and bump to break.

As an aside — 7 wouldn’t bother with this ever — for a few months in 2008, CTV aired Canada AM for 6 hours with the network’s local stations taking the program from 6-9am local time (except Atlantic and Newfoundland+Labrador time zones ahead of ET) and employing a second hosting team based on the west coast to take over during the latter 3 hours. Oddly enough, western viewers preferred the original hosts and the decision was quickly reverted.

2 Likes

I don’t know why they don’t go live in SA. It’s just 30 minutes of filler that’s needed, and that can just be the 30 they miss by going live. Or at least have it live on 7two/9Gem. Then merge them for ratings purposes (like 10 did with Family Feud).

1 Like

Most people are up at 4:30 - 5am as it gets light earlier so it wouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

Exactly. A quick google search told me that the sun rose at 5:03am in Brisbane this morning, so a 4:30am start should be feasible.

2 Likes

Who are these “people” you speak of?

4 Likes

Most people wake up at 4am? Are you crazy? Where are you getting these stats?

People usually start work at 8 or 9 so a 4am wake up is not reasonable

4 Likes

Could networks provide a news reporter /anchor for each state like the today show provided in the 1980s/1990s. Specially during this pandemic to provide live updates. Would make a point of difference.

2 Likes

Monday- Friday

Matt Doran and Nat Barr hosting, Eddy is reading news.

James Tobin is presenting weather

(Chris Reason hosted on Monday, Matt Doran hosting Tues-Fri)

12 Likes

Wouldn’t you have Mark hosting?

3 Likes

There must be some strange unwritten rule that Beretts can only host in and around the Christmas/New Year period. But at the same time, it’s nice to see Chris Reason filling in.

4 Likes

Do we know that Matt hasn’t just called in sick? Is Chris actually hosting the entire week?

7 Likes

Strange to have JT back to do the week… so will he go through to the weekend and do 7 days straight? Or no presenter again this weekend?

2 Likes

Was thinking the same. Matt had Saturday off, making me think he was doing weekdays again this week.

2 Likes