Sunrise

I would say two weeks is plenty of time.

There’s a difference between telling the viewers and actually making the decision and telling bosses etc.

15 Likes

Highly doubt it, since he only re-signed last year, and it’s not like he caused any controversy in that time.
I agree with @Nicholas, he probably didn’t want to make a fuss, as that’s the kind of person I see him as. Look at last year’s 20 year celebration, and compare that to Matt Lauer’s 20th anniversary on NBC Today, and even Mel’s departure. They dedicated the best part of a week for that, whereas Kochie probably insisted on just doing a package of his best bits and letting him speak (though I’m not suggesting in the above examples those big events were determined by Mel or Lauer).

Kochie will finish only about 3 months off from taking over Matt Lauer as the longest serving breakfast News host anywhere in the world (I can’t think of anyone else).

Must say I was not prepared for this, even though we of course knew this day was coming. I was expecting him to go at the end of next year.
Curious to see who the replacement is, presumably Shirvo (though I prefer Michael Usher, and gone off Matt Doran).

Really hoping for a Mel Doyle in studio appearance for his final day (or even if it’s another day next week). Hopefully there will be a video message from Sam as well (I don’t think she’d do an in studio appearance). I think Grant MIGHT do an appearance, since he has done a few appearances over the years (when he was at 10). Presumably we will see Monique, Larry and Kylie appear.

10 Likes

Of course that’s if you buy the official narrative and not the story 7 doesn’t want you to hear…

29 Likes

Likely.

When I resigned from a previous long term job, I didn’t tell everyone until the last day, handed in resignation a month prior. I just hate all that fuss and people talking about you type of thing. I’m not one for those farewell parties, gifts, emotions and so on.

On the other hand, some of my colleagues love the attention and have been announcing their departure for a good few years ahead. One person I work with now has already broadcast her resignation date next year, great now we need to listen to that shit for the next year. Have multiple farewell external parties and the whole workplace just talks about it. Some are leaving before they have even started here. We all work with these types. Me and Kochie it seems like to go quietly with zero fuss.

10 Likes

“Well kept secret”

“Only a handful of people knew; even people working on the show didn’t know”.

“David wanted to share the whole thing at the same time with the viewers and his colleagues.”

16 Likes

I know it’s different times, but when Steve Liebmann retired from Today, the majority of the show was about him.

Interesting that Kochie did not mention his role as Port Adelaide chairman in the very long press release above.

20 years hosting breakfast TV is an amazing achievement. Congratulations Kochie.

2 Likes

if that was the case he’d be shown the door today, not left to hang around for two more weeks.

most of the viewers have probably turned off by then. May have been best to deliver the news when more are tuned in.

3 Likes

Urgh why do they bring Ford out to talk about it? Just interview Kochie if they need to.

He was there for his usual entertainment report, and slightly ticked off that here was no leak ahead of the announcement.

4 Likes

He began in 2002 before social media, smartphones and streaming even began and we had a choice of only 5 TV stations. The world and technology have changed during Kochie’s tenure on Sunrise. Happy retirement and all the best.

14 Likes

Kochie on 3aw in Melbourne now - has said “it was planned last year, I wanted to go at the end of last year and the team asked if I could stick around for another 6 months and then do big finance stuff for the next 18 months”

So clearly was a network deal. Been in the works for a while.

16 Likes

Would it be Dr. Chris taking the role?

I wonder how the Today Team will react this news next Friday morning. Didn’t Ally shame Sam Armytage when she left the show in 2021.

Wonder if hell do some finance stuff for 6pm?

2 Likes

From the video he mentioned wanting to work a more typical 9-5, so wouldn’t be surprised if he files reports for Seven News.

5 Likes

For the love of god give the gig to Matt Doran, he’s the only one I’d watch

2 Likes

Think you might be in the minority with this thought.

5 Likes

Includes Nat’s reponse.

6 Likes

But I feel like Matt Shirvo has been filling in for Kochie since Nat has been shifted to the co-host chair.

1 Like