Sunrise

I’d suggest Aussie presenters recognised internationally would be those who present Australian reality shows which are broadcast internationally.

So Love Island Australia, Masterchef Australia etc.

And then of course Adam Hills, who hosts the Last Leg in the UK.

Karl is not the most recognisable by a long shot.

2 Likes

Neither of which are news presenters. I’m not saying Karl is some A list celebrity but if you’re making a claim that it’s unconscionable that Karl is more recognizable than Kochie then I’d point you to his viral moments that have picked up international attention as well as a wildly popular YouTube series highlighting his funny moments.

Kochie doesn’t have that whether you think it’s worthy or not.

You did say ‘Aussie presenter’, not ‘Aussie news presenter’.

Technically speaking you’d probably have to say ABC News presenters would have the widest reach internationally.

Tuesday 21 June -

Sally Bowrey is presenting news with Matt Shirvington presenting sport.

6 Likes

Of course. I’m not doubting that Karl has been involved in more viral international headlines and Kochie less so. He’s more recognisable generally but not necessarily for all good reasons and generally people catch the headlines for the viral moments rather than Karl himself.

Now that doesn’t take anything from Karl but in the end it’s fair to say Today markets their presenters better than Sunrise through their segments.

1 Like

If you’re going to ignore it, ignore it completely. I thought Sunrise’s approach yesterday, with weather covering it, came across half-arsed. Today was smart in opting to OB from the beach and not an isolated Star this year too. However, still terribly low numbers for all.

Nine were the host broadcaster. Why would Sunrise schlep up to the Goldy, when they weren’t even up for any awards, and broadcast live? There’s no benefit.

1 Like

Studio 10 was there at the same location yesterday.

Oy vey!

I never said anything about Sunrise doing an OB, quite the opposite actually. I suggested it was better to not cover something than to cover it half-arsed (like they did). Don’t do weather from The Star, don’t do the red carpet interviews, don’t do packages with selective highlights. When their viewers see their coverage but still don’t know who won Gold (the most notorious), then they’re going to switch to someone who does tell them.

If you’re going to pretend nobody won the Gold Logie because it wasn’t a network talent, you’re better off pretending (forgetting) the event didn’t happen.

I love how there has been a debate about all this.

But as it’s been pointed out. Seven don’t care about the Logies anymore. They snubbed them years ago and they pretend they don’t really exist like they used to. Which is why sunrise doesn’t broadcast from them, there’s no real coverage of them.

I’m pretty sure a year or two after Pell took over they stopped doing an OB for them.

1 Like

They were at the 2019 Logies (which were the last ones before this year). Not sure if they were nominated in anything that year? But perhaps because they weren’t nominated this year it wasn’t worth the effort to go this year?

I recall back in its heyday, the winner of Australian Idol would be the top story on Sunrise the day after the final. Didn’t matter then which network the show was on.

1 Like

They haven’t regularly presented from the Logies for a long time. I would say around 2014/15 was the last OB they did from crown?

From memory they use to do Sunrise and The Morning Show live from Southbank, while Today was in the Crown Foyer.

3 Likes

They were there because Sam Mac was up for gold IIRC

1 Like

Second time this week I’ve seen Nat read the 0730 news. I mean it’s great to have her back on news but it seems like a very odd format change for her to just do the single update. I’m unsure if it happened yesterday.

Friday (24.06.2022):
Matt Shirvington co-hosted with Nat. Sally Bowery read news.

1 Like

@nationalnews I was watching yesterday and Nat did read the 7:30 news.

1 Like

Kochie is now heading off on holidays for three weeks,his daughter is getting married in London.

8 Likes

It would be nice to see Matt Doran fill in for Kochie. Surely his time being kicked off the weekday show because of the Adele interview is well and truly over.

I liked Shirvo originally but I’m not so sure now.

7 Likes

Agreed. Doran is far better than Matt Shirvington on weekdays. At least he’s a journalist who can handle hard news well and he and Nat works well.

Shirvo is too lightweight for the weekday show. Might work better if he filled in on weekends instead.

8 Likes