Sunrise

Pretty sure the Qld inserts were from Brisbane and most days presented by Penny someone??

2 Likes

It could be the same format is what I was getting at, and the inserts could be live and local.

1 Like

I would love to see a video of Melbourne’s or another city’s.

1 Like

It’s sponsored nationally, they can’t ditch it.

2 Likes

I’m sure they could work something out - sponsorship for the sports segment in Queensland.

Another loss to Sunrise yesterday.

1 Like

Some of Sunrise’s lowest results of the year have been recorded this week. To date, they are just winning the week. It’s turning out to be one of Sunrise’s worst weeks in years.

Penny Heath I think her name was. Though I think it was from Martin Place…

2 Likes

According to this interview from 4KQ, the Queensland insert is only in place for 6 months.

4 Likes

Well, yeah, it won’t be needed from April to October when the show is broadcast live.

3 Likes

Let’s hope that in April next year, Nine realise that Queenslanders deserve local news at breakfast all year round, not just over Summer.

3 Likes

Early days but has it boosted the Queensland audience at all?

Ultimately ratings will determine if it continues. If there is an uplift I suspect they’ll continue with them come April. If not, they’ll drop them (probably before April) and won’t return to them next year.

3 Likes

I’d say 3% of the potential audience knows the local content even exists.
This type of change needs relentless promo and marketing to be known for audiences to know it even exists - then to act on that knowledge.

I would say you’re looking for a 6 month change.

1 Like

As an outsider looking in, and this doesn’t just apply to Sunrise but across the board, I feel Australian news organisations have become extremely lazy throughout covid. Covid and covid related stories have fed the news agenda for far too long. People are over it.

Provide a point of difference and I have no doubt it will be welcomed by the audience. Gladys had the right idea when she cut the daily presser.

I’d go so far as to promote the fact you’re cutting down on covid news.

4 Likes

Not sure where you are posting from but you have to remember Australia is having its worst outbreak ever right now. Half the country has been in total lockdown for 4 months

Unlike the US/EU - covid news is at its peak right now - because covid is impacting people’s lives more than ever right now

1 Like

5-7am, perhaps. Format it like the US with clockface weather, traffic, and headline segments.

2 Likes

No:

You say it’s early days but maybe more of an up-hill battle. There is going to be no exposure than it received in the lead-up to its launch- promotions were on TV, radio and in print. So, you’d think if viewers wanted to sample it, they would have this week. As I suspected, six months is an ideal time frame:

However, I agree with you, that if it doesn’t make a difference in the next few months, I can see them resting it over summer and not returning it in the new year.

1 Like

Agree, but it has been the case for months now. And even with no Covid 7 News Brisbane considers no cases breaking news every day. Viewers are fatigued. Reporting the same story every day is boring and tiresome.

1 Like

How do you know this, given you’re currently over in Europe?

2 Likes

Because I’m Australian, I talk to Australians every day. I lived through a similar lockdown. And I can still see what’s making news in Australia through the wonders of the internet.

It’s not rocket science :rocket:

Tell me, do you believe viewers actually love seeing the same story regurgitated 100 different ways night after night?

1 Like

Not sure I agree with that. News ratings are still higher than they were pre-covid. That would suggest the appetite is there.

Also - there are fairly serious restrictions still on people’s lives, ie being unable to leave the country without an exemption or travel between states. I don’t think you can blame news outlets for continuing to relentlessly cover a story they’d impacting on every single viewer’s life on some way.

2 Likes

This.

We can’t just cover our ears and not pretend it’s not happening.

Also @Andrew you may have lived one “similar” but try being in lockdown for almost 300 days. Not comparable Europe and Australia are different in May ways as I’m sure you are aware.

The impact and how wide spread this goes differs greatly between the two countries/ continents. It needs to be covered and reported wherever restrictions reside in Australia.

Also you use that Rocket Science line a lot. It concerns me.

Bottom line, sure there is over saturation but that will change

2 Likes