Sunrise: 2016 Relaunch

Lots of comments on Facebook saying the following:

“It’s too bright and sterile, way too American”
“Hello Good Morning America”
“It doesn’t have a homey feel anymore”
“Why is the banner so big”
“Hard to read the weather with the blue on blue”
“Stop moving the camera, its making me dizzy”

I guess a lot of average viewers are seeing problems. I guess in time people will get used to it, it is quite a dramatic change so naturally there would be criticism.
I guess tweaks will naturally be made too.

For me I think its a fresh look and they have done well. Just tweaks and fixes need to be made like anything new.

4 Likes

I know I’m asking for trouble but I think it’s too much. I like the set on Today much better.

I really like the new look. Only thing I would really change is the font for the “News just in” etc headers. And I don’t know if we need an opener at 5.30,6.7 and 8am. The rest looks really nice. Love the set and the way it takes in the street view is amazing.

I just hope they don’t bow to pressure and make changes based on 1st day feedback for things that people just have to get used to.

I watched Sunrise when I normally do from 7am until about 8am and I am not that impressed with the new format in particular they appear to be focusing more on celebrity news which just gets boring after a while. Having Kochie, Sam, Nat, Baretts and Edwina all on the set at the same time makes everything look cluttered. Also at the 7am hour we did not get any proper news presented by Nat until 7:15 they cannot have that happen on a daily basis. At 7:30 yes they had the news start on time.

1 Like
  1. Why was Bec there? They need her back in Melbourne instead of Nick Etchells (presenting the national bulletins temporarily).

2. Anyone cap the new super for the Traffic Reports (which I’m pretty sure are compliled at BCM, as they’re inserted during the commercial breaks)?

3. What exactly is Eddy’s role APART from entertainment?

Hah - the content of the show! That’s another matter entirely :smiley:

1 Like

I would say Rebecca is there for today only, to welcome in the new set and look. She may also be doing promo shots with the other presenters today.

2 Likes

Sydney one is at the bottom of this post.

1 Like

And stupid Tinney did his usual ‘thanks guys’ when no one actually threw to him. Seriously I wish they’d just do away with it.

Edit - just saw the 8am update which is what I think you’re referring to above. ‘Thanks Nat’ whilst in the middle of a report?? Don’t 7 Perth insert? Couldn’t they have placed it better - or Tinney know not to say that? Urgh.

I really like the new set and graphics. The one thing I’m not loving unfrotuantely is Eddy. She shouldn’t be on the desk with the other 4. If anything she should have her own table or desk or something. She really feels like a ‘let’s just find something for you to do because you don’t want to travel anymore’ person.

Apart from that, I think everything else is great.

I agree.

Eddy’s needs her own desk or standing position table, in front of another area/screen with MORE social stuff, etc to do.

At least once for around 5min, each half hour?

I’n warming to Sam Mac. Seen him around Ch 10 shows for many years now

1 Like

So… Talitha Cummins is pregnant (congrats!)

Where does that leave Weeend Sunrise now?

With Monique also on maternity leave & Eddy now in her new role?

I really liked the new sunrise format.
The First comment I’d have to make, they really need to fix up Mount Isa on the weather graphics.
Mount Isa is located to the west of Townsville and they’ve got the graphic about 500km south of there.

I am enjoying the new graphics, though like a lot of others have said, I’m not to sure on the Blue cramped text.

I like the outside shot behind Sam and Kochie, but it would be nice if it was a little larger, and the glare on it at the start was quite distracting.

Not a fan at all of the LIVE banner not having an “AEDT” on it.

Watching that first story from Brisbane at 5:36am in Queensland when it is broad daylight outside and seeing it dark on the image on TV with “Sunrise LIVE” in the corner just looks stupid, and then again on the weather segment at 5:43am.

I quite like the font they’ve used for the clock.

Also, did anyone else notice in the cap from 8:05am of the guys at the boat ramp, the old sunrise logo was displayed in the top left corner?

1 Like

This would look great as Seven’s main news package, especially with your font change.

Still not entirely convinced by all the graphics but I think they will grow on me.

2 Likes

By the time she is ready for Maternity Leave, Monique should be back and perhaps Angela Cox can just side-step into the news chair.

3 Likes

My feelings are mixed. I want to like it, considering how the same designer made the previous set which was smart, warm, professional and modern. The graphics were a bit average but aged better than most.

But this change seems… average altogether. They’ve obviously put in a lot of effort, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem that impressive. The supers are a bit of a mix-mash of different fonts, which, while taking cues from NBC Today, don’t hit the mark fully. And the full screen graphics are all a bit… out of fashion. I thought design trends had moved past 3D and toward more 2D, which makes me feel this package will age faster than 2010’s.

And the set seems to be very similar to Today’s old (pre-2012) set.

I’ll give it some time though.

4 Likes

They have to have “AEDT” (or AEST) because of the time zones.

As in, it would be too hard to keep adding or removing “LIVE” individually to QLD, SA & WA markets.

It’s just easier. So someone knows “Oh, it says AEDT, I’m in SA, so it’s 3min old” etc.

You missed the point there - they DONT have AEDT.

2 Likes

Sam Mac is a fantastic weather presenter. Funny and a daredevil. The look is similar to that of NBC’s Today show.

Live AEDT should be on the weather graphics and during live crosses

1 Like

You missed my point…

LIVE is on the graphics that are into QLD, SA & WA.

Obviously it ISN’T LIVE there (summer time zones).

Hence, the need for AEDT / AEST on the graphics.

Otherwise BCM would have to go through and cover up the graphics, etc for those markets.

Yeah, completely understand the need for it.
What I’m saying is, I’m annoyed that they DO NOT have AEDT listed on their new LIVE graphic.

Because in my opinion it is VERY much needed.
As I was saying, I woke up early to watch the opening of sunrise this morning at 5:30am (QLD time).
The first cross from QLD came on at 5:36am and all it said was “LIVE” no mention of timezone.
Which looked stupid here in QLD, because it was broad daylight by 5:36am, yet the “LIVE” picture on TV was completely dark.