Studio 10 (2015-2020)

It wasnt just channel10 or nine that showed it tvnz1 showed it on morning breakfast as well as on tv3 New Zealand was there leading story last night I presume the footage has being shown around the world on many stations .

I watched Studio 10 today and I thought what was aired was not at all inappropriate. I saw the same footage-right up to the point where the perpetrator pointed the gun at the victim-repeated on Nine yesterday afternoon and Sarah even warned the audience that the footage may be confronting.

I don’t believe the ‘it’s school holidays’ is a plausible argument as Studio 10 has promoted that the panel will have a smart and controversial discussions and as Wake Up put it, “nothing is off-limits”. For what it’s worth, the program is clearly rated as PG.

7 Likes

As Blackbox said, just because 9 also showed it isn’t a justification. I have objections to anyone using it.
Obviously people are different and I am obviously different to you as I didn’t want to see that man, him speak or the old blokes final moments.

1 Like

I see where all of your points are coming from. Just remember, this is News we are talking about, and sadly this stuff happens. Don’t watch the news expecting not seeing news

6 Likes

Interesting article summing up all points of views mentioned in this thread:

1 Like

Pretty much what I’m thinking. I did see it on Studio Ten this morning, but eh, if it’s relevant to air (and cross bits out that arent appropriate) then yes it’s a news story. The day we become censoring stories… well… we don’t want to go there do we? We already live in a nanny police country already…

1 Like

Agreed. A reminder that Studio 10 is nominated for the Logie for Best News or Current Affairs, not Best Light Entertainment.

5 Likes

As the others have said above, I am looking forward to Talitha on the panel this morning:

*As mentioned in the article, Susie Elelman is filling in for Denise this morning.

1 Like

I must admit, I saw that on the news on the previous night and I was shocked that they showed as much of it as they did. You can cover a story without needing to show all the gory details. It seems hypocritical that media run a story about how shocking or outrageous something on the internet is and they just go ahead and screen the footage too which means a lot more people are exposed to it.

4 Likes

Notice of apology on ticker (ABC News take note - Studio 10 has a ticker!)

3 Likes

Looks like Talitha is wearing a Snuggy from one of Jonno’s advertorials. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Nope. It’s about some story they aired yesterday which had missing footage.

But we did discuss the issue on whether we should have played the facebook footage as a hot topic

6 Likes

Interesting POV from Joe that the video is available on social media and people will seek it out and asked is it better that traditional media can offer a sanitised version framed by a narrative describing what was happening. His other point was that powerful images through history are associated with big changes in society and will this lead to a fundamental change in Facebook/

3 Likes

Article is wrong, Ita is on the Panel this morning.

1 Like

Looks like it’ll have to be covered again tomorrow since this evil bloke just shot himself dead.

1 Like

That the killer had committed suicide was mentioned this morning.

1 Like

Closer from today:

3 Likes

That is entirely the point, it is News. Well said. And at times it is confronting. These are discussions we have in numerous daily news editorial meetings (which is why we blurred the gun, other networks did not). Decisions are not made lightly - particularly when video is easily accessible and already widely viewed on social media. Eg, we have very specific guidelines relating to ISIL propaganda.
It goes to a broader discussion on censorship - if our job is to accurately report on a situation, how much or little should we show? Do we play the audio? In particular, should we sanitise war & criminal coverage? Are we failing in our duty if we give viewers an unrealistic interpretation? Is an image of a bloodied boy in a Syrian ambulance too far? I’ve received complaints about images of blood bags in blood donation stories - should we not report on Red Cross supply shortages? There have been nudity complaints when partly covered breast feeding and scanning is showed. No health stories?? It’s a complicated and evolving space.
With all that said there are of course press guidelines and restrictions that must be followed.
I thought the Studio 10 panel gave an appropriate warning for their timeslot and the following discussion represented the sheer shock towards this man’s actions & his livestreaming of the heinous crime.

18 Likes

Well said

1 Like