Studio 10 (2015-2020)

And taking Sarah Harris away from Studio 10 to front a new show would be damaging to Studio 10.

12 Likes

I agree with that. As much as they were great yesterday, I think I would keep Sarah on Studio 10 and get Tarsh, or even Georgia Love to host it.

But its definitely needed and a great idea IMO

1 Like

Ratings were a flop so don’t get too excited.

2 Likes

Thats disappointing.

1 Like

Ah yes - because viewers were expected to miraculous tune in and find the show there.

Of course ratings were a flop.

Game of Thrones would be a flop too if Seven randomly showed at episode at 8.30pm monday with no promotion or announcement.

5 Likes

It is but not unexpected.

Ten just don’t have the reputation for good news coverage any more. Viewers are more likely to tune into Seven and Nine or the ABC because they know what their news coverage is like.

Calm down. Just reporting the facts, mate.

We would all rather see Ten put up something better than rubbish repeats in that timeslot. It’s just not simple.

1 Like

I don’t think matlock is suggesting these things “just happen”. The point he and certainly I am making is that the kind of high profile push put behind Breakfast and Wake Up is not necessarily required. No one is denying it takes a small army to produce it.

1 Like

And a larger population of viewers to justify making it.

1 Like

Sure, but Ten are going to justify having a news service at all they have to make an effort.

I don’t think it will happen tbh. I like the idea but Ten are just too poor financially to even consider it. The failure of past management to expand Ten’s news output to online (as I mentioned the other day in another thread) means no one will go to Ten for news anymore.

If they implemented “Newsroom 10” while also beefing up their online news output and promotional efforts, maybe. But that requires $$$

2 Likes

If it is the morning block, then I’d say that isn’t bad considering it has no promotion! On par with what Wake Up was averaging :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I just wanted my dose of Paul Henry :pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive:

I think all we are saying is the above referenced clip of Studio 10 as a straight news show would be a much much cheaper format compared to either Ten’s Breakfast / Wake Up formats.

I think we also agree that by not cloning Sunrise or Today - it has the most chance and standing out from the pack / success.

No one is denying more staff would have to be hired and a money spent - but I think under the helm of Rob, and sharing resources with Studio 10 and Ten News, plus new hires - it would be the most cost effective format Ten has ever done in the mornings.

That’s what we are getting at.

And the margins at breakfast are better than anywhere on TV. You don’t need to spend a lot to make money. Look at primetime - shows like Masterchef, Survivor are costing over $1m an hour now. Profit margins at breakfast are huge - which is why Sunrise and Today are such fierce competitors - so much ad revenue is at stake.

And it’s why Ten tried so hard to get into the market - there i sera money to be made.

But Wake Up was one damn expensive show.

I think “Newsroom 10” would be cost effective from day one.

Let’s hope Rob is pushing Ten!

6 Likes

Just a note that some posts have been removed. Please be reminded that we have fairly tight restrictions from OzTAM on what ratings numbers we can publish, even if they do appear elsewhere.

1 Like

Surprised Studio 10 didn’t go live into QLD this morning when it was announced at 7:30 local time that all SEQ schools from Agnes to the NSW border were closed today. Can’t wait for daylight savings to end soon!

I personally would like to see something like, “The Morning Project”. Just like The Project at night but in the morning with different presenters. 6:30am-8am.

5 Likes

Spin the wheel day

5 Likes

I do think that the Studio 10 early cyclone special was a pitch from Rob to management.

Why else would they get a high-profile presenting pair? If the 5pm bulletins can be done with one presenter, so can a couple of hours of extended one-off coverage. To me that was an interesting choice.

Also they used the newsroom rather than the Studio 10 set, another curiosity. With the additional use of wide shots and pans, which wasn’t necessary. A lot of effort for something ‘once-off’.

5 Likes

I was wondering the same thing as I was watching it, the angles were very professional, and unnecessary for a “one-off” thing. Placing The cameras would of taken effort to have those sort of angles wouldn’t they? So very professional for a “one-off”. Let’s hope it’s a pitch, cause it would of been a good one!

1 Like

Seriously don’t read too much into it.

It was 7 hours of coverage with lots of talking and crosses. It absolutely made sense to have two hosts.

And please remember we did two shows at the same time, Cyclone coverage and the ‘normal’ Studio 10… hence why we had to use the newsroom floor.

Re angles etc… why wouldn’t we do the absolute best job possible? No point making tv if you’re going to do it half arsed. Anyone who knows me knows I will go to as much effort as needed to make anything I do look good.

19 Likes

That’s to bad, was great coverage though.[quote=“blackbox, post:1306, topic:97”]
Re angles etc… why wouldn’t we do the absolute best job possible? No point making tv if you’re going to do it half arsed. Anyone who knows me knows I will go to as much effort as needed to make anything I do look good.
[/quote]
I love your style, we can always count on you! This should be the norm, but unfortunately we don’t have many people left in the industry like you.

5 Likes