Studio 10 (2015-2020)

Well deserved indeed. Hopefully it continues to grow.

1 Like

Basically a problem with all of the media right now.

The coverage is all about ā€œwho said what and why theyā€™re wrongā€ and never about actually fixing an issue. It would be great to have an honest discussion about issues surrounding societal opportunity and homelessness, but even ā€˜qualityā€™ venues like Q&A have turned into competitions about who can shut down who the hardest and have the best soundbite for the inevitable Pedestrian.tv article.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, neither a curly-haired mid-morning TV show host nor Charlie fucking Pickering should have any weight on the conversation whatsoever. Get an actual professor or someone whose worked in this field to comment.

3 Likes

I was struck by the amount of homelessness in Sydney during trips to the city in my childhood years- late '70s early '80s. I would agree there is a lot more now and there seems to be a broader age range these days- not just the bedraggled, old alcoholics clasping brown paper bags. Belmore Park, near Central, has always had people sleeping rough in it but it certainly looks a lot more crowded now.

I feel for any young person starting out in Sydney. It wouldnā€™t take much to find yourself on the street now that accommodation is so expensive and hard to find. Iā€™ve had to come to the aid of a few people who, despite being well paid and successful, have found themselves without a place to stay.

If media people donā€™t talk about the issue then how do you expect it to get on the national agenda? Thatā€™s really an elitist attitude to say person a and b arenā€™t allowed to talk about an issueā€¦ weā€™re a democratic society ā€“ anyone should be allowed to talk about any issue.

I can take a joke, we take the piss out of ourselves all the time, but my issue here is you have someone like Joe who actually makes a real difference to people living on the street. Not only is he an ambassador, but he donates thousands of dollars to the salvos and vinnies. He brings these issues to national attention by speaking about them on Studio 10 and other programs.

Iā€™m glad the Weekly is talking about the issue, they just didnā€™t need to bring down one of the few people who are in there making a real difference.

10 Likes

Theyā€™re free to give their opinion on anything. By the same logic, Iā€™m free to criticise their simplistic and partisan opinions on complex issues. Iā€™d much rather listen to someone who knows something on the topic at hand.

But nah, Iā€™m being such an elitist for arguing that a daytime TV host and comedian arenā€™t the best sources of information on homelessnessā€¦

2 Likes

thatā€™s fair enough

2 Likes

I just donā€™t get this idea of criticising on-air people who talk about these important issues because you donā€™t feel theyā€™re important enough to talk about these issues.

4 Likes

I guess my issue is the media could be doing a lot better than what theyā€™re currently doing. There are amazing people out there who have studied about or worked fighting against homelessness their entire lives, and instead more people turn to Charlie Pickering and whatshisname on your show.

Iā€™d love you to have a domestic violence expert on to discuss these issues on your show. I think people who know what theyā€™re talking about is such a rarity in television nowadays.

1 Like

yepā€¦ weā€™ve done that (on multiple occasions). We even interviewed a man who used to beat his wifeā€¦ he talked about his guilt and the changes heā€™s made to his life to overcome this terrible side of his personality.

6 Likes

I am loving your 1999 special @blackbox, bring back the mems!

4 Likes

1999 graphics

Flashback Sarah,Jess,Denise, Ita and Joe in 1999.

9 Likes

TV hosting and being a comic are just jobs. Who is to say they havenā€™t been homeless before or will in the future? I agree with blackbox - youā€™re being elitist. Do you have a fantasy that being on TV makes them immune from real life and that they live in a palace somewhere? Some do, most donā€™t.

1 Like

fully agree

My original comment was basically talking about these sorts of things tend to become media spectacles. The problem is that subtracts from the actual debate. Instead of ā€œfiring backā€ at The Weekly, wouldnā€™t it be better to dedicate resources to discussing the actual problem? That was my primary criticism, but my shot at Joe became the discussion.

@blackbox I appreciate that Joe has done stuff with homelessness, I didnā€™t actually know that about him, so perhaps my earlier criticism of him wasnā€™t warranted. Itā€™s also great that Studio 10 does segments about domestic violence and (I presume) homelessness.

However, my original comment on Studio 10 and the media generally needing to refocus on actual issues stands. Enough with the drama, people donā€™t care for it.

1 Like
6 Likes

Next stop 830-930 !

Some mornings Jono does a live throw to the first advertorial. Iā€™m noticing lately that heā€™s often not there for the first throw. Thatā€™s a shame, Iā€™d like to see him as much as possible.

I loved this morningā€™s: ā€œIā€™m Jonathan Coleman, welcome to Studio 10!ā€

1 Like

I think this mornings were all taped due to the 99 special. You can tell because his taped ones always start with ā€œthanks guysā€.

Agreed, also loved the Iā€™m Jonathan Coleman, welcome to Studio 10!" bit.

Surely itā€™s getting close to time to expand this show to 7am-830am.
They need to strike whilst they have this momentum!

1 Like

Do the talent want to be on air for 4 hours?