Studio 10 (2015-2020)

Well this’ll be interesting.

Would be an opportunity to get some more voices on the panel from people with expertise or experience (rather than just opinions).

1 Like

Anybody to the right of Sarah Hanson-Young is a vile extremist in cmo’s eyes.

3 Likes

So true

stick to the topic

4 Likes

I missed it, what was Joe doing?

1 Like
11 Likes

Interesting.

However, can’t help but feel that Kerri-Anne seems to lecture and talk over others quite often and can be quite confronting. If you were still there would you have KAK on the show @blackbox?

9 Likes

@blackbox At the end of her monologue Kerri-Anne Kennerley made a cross with her index fingers. What do you think she was doing? Casting out evil?

Ita would still be there if I was there.

8 Likes

Why is this all about KAK’s image? Is no one allowed to challenge what KAK says because she’s a legend of Australian TV? Why have KAK on a panel show if you’re not allowed to debate with her or have a differing opinion to her?

Even if the accusation of KAK sounding racist is true why is the issue the possibility of KAK’s image being bruised more important that if what KAK was saying was even at least casual racism?

If we found out Graham Kennedy was racist or said things that are low level racism, do we just sweep it under the carpet because how dare we damage an image of a person with that status in Australian TV history?

Everyone seemed more than happy to abandon Don Burke over sexual harassment accusations but if a TV legend might be racist, it can’t possibly be true and how dare we suggest it?

8 Likes

It’s absolutely ok to challenge someones views… but to make personal attacks is another thing. Listen to the studio audience reaction, they didn’t like it one bit

11 Likes

How do you call out racism them (hypothetically if KAK did say something that was overtly racist)? Just go “Ok, I don’t agree” and not address it?

Do we then apply the same standard on the street? If we see someone acting racist, just ignore it in fear that calling it out would be a “personal attack”?

I do still feel like this is more about KAK’s public image that what was actually said or meant by either parties.

I think the first line was okay but when Yumi doubled-down it showed she simply didn’t care about her co-host.

6 Likes

I think it’s a long shot calling KAK’s views racist. She highlighted the systemic problems with rural Indigenous populations and showed a passionate argument against it because that is a real issue that has a huge impact, far greater than a date for a national holiday. She clearly isn’t a racist person because of this. But if you’re Yumi and you’ve been looking at the world through a certain lens then any criticism of any movement by the Indigenous population is considered racist. IMO, Yumi shouldn’t have played that card.

13 Likes

I’m not debating whether or not what Yumi said was true about KAK or if KAK is correct in her assessment of Aboriginal communities (since I don’t know) but I do question why everyone is jumping to KAK’s defence not because what she said was racist or not but because “Yumi essentially called Logie Hall Of Fame recipient Kerri-Anne a racist.”.

It seems that the issue is not whether or not what KAK or Yumi said was correct/inappropriate but how it all could affect KAK’s image and career:

5 Likes

I actually couldn’t bring myself to watch the video until now, because of the fierce commentary from both sides…

I now get the comment’s surrounding Kerri-Anne’s sometimes hostile persona on this show. I doubt that any of the statements she made in that little tirade were backed up by any solid evidence. It is culturally ignorant and very offensive for a white woman to imply that Australia Day protesters, most of whom are indigenous, do not do anything for their rural communities. I am one of these activists who fully embody the aboriginal vision and advocate for grassroots change foremost to demonstrations picked up the mainstream media.

The fact that the other four said nothing speaks volumes too. I’m glad that Yumi pulled up KAK’s whitesplaining. If anything, it just shows where everybody stood on this out of many Kerri-Anne’s virtuous views, including the audience.

In saying all of that, Studio 10 needed that debate today to start a much-needed conversation.

The article talks from a producer’s (or ex producer’s) point of view, though, not from a viewer perspective. As far as a producer is concerned it is probably fair to consider the image of one of their show’s star panellists. And from these headlines their talent is not coming out in front.

4 Likes

No one seems to care about Sky News’ hosts images as much :upside_down_face:

But then again why be on a panel show if you care so much about your image? Or why (as a producer) have any topics of discussion where one of your beloved hosts might say or be accused of something that would damage their image?

The problem with KAKs view was she was linking one issue (invasion day protests/change the date stuff) with something not relevant to that issue. The abuse in rural indigenous communities is appalling and disturbing but to conflate one issue with the other just shows how stupid KAK is. She isn’t very bright. She’s simplistic and presents as such an entitlied rich princess that her views aren’t even worth listening to.

1 Like