Studio 10 (2015-2020)

You might be right. But to your other question, of course they can fire people. There will probably be more shown the door before too long, but i don’t think firing the EP of a successful show that makes money would be so high on their to do list.

1 Like

Depends on if third in its timeslot is successful.

But still, we don’t know the story. It’s very unexpected.

1 Like

It may not seem that way given some of my earlier posts but I will forever have great respect for @blackbox. He gave me my first job in television working with Studio 10 two years ago. It was a great experience and I learnt a lot about what I liked and what I didn’t like about the TV industry.

Even in my short time I saw first hand the drive and passion of someone who genuinely loved television. There was always a culture with Rob of trying to do things better and risk-taking that I found very refreshing. We often didn’t see eye to eye though - which was what probably what led to him sacking me!

Despite our differences, credit to Rob for what he has been able to achieve. I look forward to seeing what his next television project will be. Watch this space.

11 Likes

If it’s paying its way then it is

Did not see this coming. It is a big loss for Studio 10.

1 Like

The executive producer for Channel 10’s breakfast program, Studio 10, has sent an emotional email to his colleagues after he was sacked on Monday.

Appears to contain most of text of email.

I don’t understand what “under resourced” is? To me it looks like it has more resources than Mornings on 9 and The Morning Show on 7!

Perhaps that’s the problem. Spending money on extravagances like a Christmas show that very few will see, elaborate new desk and a music video that necessitated a B team being brought in for the day would’ve been frowned upon. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the network make the production do more with less. One less panel member?

3 Likes

Sarah Monahan is 5th panellist today

While I agree, Rob put resources into Christmas and summer shows to help build an audience since Today Extra and TMS were in hiatus / summer shows.

4 Likes

The idea of a @theGradyConnell designed set would have not been good for him too.

Nonetheless, it’s a noice set :slight_smile:

Today Extra would be suited to C31 IMO, IIRC it’s even controlled by VizRT now.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing about those points. They would have paid double the wages that day for the panel and filming the music video. I can imagine management cracking it over expenses like that at a network with budget restraints.

I also always thought that having a 5th panellist every day was an extravagance. You could get away with four and the 5th spot for guests only.

1 Like

Adding to that, I still think Studio 10 is better than Lorraine or This Morning.

2 Likes

Better than the what now?

The majority of 5th panellists aren’t paid for their appearances.

1 Like

Are you serious?

Maybe guests who are plugging their book, music, movie, show don’t get paid but I doubt those regulars like Pete Berner, Mikey Robins, Carlotta just do it out of the kindness of their heart. Why would they do it for free?

2 Likes

You’d be surprised, but a lot are just happy for the exposure. The regulars would be on the pay packet but most of the others do it for free or a very modest fee.

Was there any mention of Robs departure this morning?

I remember Jo Casamento saying once she used to be on radio once or twice a week and wasn’t paid,so it happens on radio as well.
As you say certain regulars would be paid a fee,good example would be Carlotta who lives on the Gold Coast and travels to Sydney.

Rob gave the opportunity to so many people who hadn’t been on telly for a long time to appear as a 5th panellist, really hoping these people continue to appear on the show in 2018.

5 Likes

There’s only been speculation that this is a money thing. I’m getting the sense it’s not necessarily the case, but that too is speculation.

This isn’t an extravagance, it’s part of the makeup of the show… The idea is to have a fresh voice everyday to weigh in on discussion, adds variety and the show would be very different without it. Could you imagine the 1st hour of the show being drawn out for the entire time they’re on air?

They could save money on a lot of things… you don’t really need a big set, you can get generic graphics from an online stock graphics library and you just need 1 host to fill the gaps between the advertorials.
Obviously that’s taking things to an extreme but the point is you can’t second guess every decision that has been made without weighing up the loner term benefits of it.

Exactly why the summer shows are such a genius idea, they’re a massive expense - staffing, resources, etc - but they target an audience that Studio 10 doesn’t normally have, and year after year the ratings improve consistently (on an overall average) when the ratings season resumes, which means that that expense is returned in higher ratings the next year, which leads to more revenue from advertising in the long term.

As for @blackbox’s new coffee shop, maybe they can drag the old Gloria Jeans set elements out and he can be the new Damo…

6 Likes