State/Territory Politics

NSW Premier then Prime Minister?

Yesterday, he announced that he would stand aside from his role as NSW Opposition Leader until the leadership ballot is conducted after the federal election. Now, heā€™s decided not to run at all.

It would be hard for him to live down those comments he made which were released in the last week. Heā€™d be haunted by them forever.

Because he hasnā€™t been that well known as Leader of the Opposition I think it will fade with time. Others have weathered storms and moved on.

Disgruntled members of Fred Nileā€™s Christian Democratic Party have staged an attempted coup that aims to remove Nile and the rest of the NSW partyā€™s board. Party president Rev Dr Ross Clifford, formerly of 2CH, said that the board was ambushed at a meeting on the weekend and he adjourned the meeting when the disgruntees tried to force for a vote on a no confidence motion.

1 Like

Former Victorian government minister Phillip Dalidakis today resigned as an upper house MP, effective immediately, to take up a new job at Australia Post as executive general manager of corporate services.

Three months after the NSW Election, weā€™ve finally got a new Labor/Opposition Leader: Member for Strathfield Jodi McKay, most recently known for her time as Opposition Transport Minister and in the more distant past (this is a media forum afterall) as a former NBN Newsreader.

The decision to appoint McKay (who I think will probably do a good job) as their new leader has resulted in New South Wales having female leaders on both sides of politics for the first time ever if Iā€™m not mistaken.

2 Likes

And female governor.

1 Like

Thatā€™s another 4 years of Gladys then. :rofl:

A completely out of the blue Tasmanian Cabinet reshuffle today too. Had not heard any inkling in the lead up to it until after it happened today which is quite rare with the media today. Biggest change was that the Health minister, Michael Ferguson has been sacked from both Health and the Police, Fire and Emergency portfolios. Heā€™d managed to survive a couple of no confidence motions and despite being under fire seemed pretty safe in the role so it was quite a surprise when the axing happened today out of the blue.

I saw a parallel article in the Mercury with the speaker threatening to quit the Liberal Party after being overlooked for cabinet. Surely sheā€™d have to give up the speakership for that to occur? I understand sheā€™s not overly popular in her party?

Did the dirty on them at the beginning. Rene Hidding (who retired a few months ago) was being saved for the Speakers chair as a soft way for him to retire at the end of term, heā€™d had a number of portfolios and shadow portfolios over his career and it was set up for him to see out his career in the Speakers chair which I believe heā€™d requested. Labor and the Greens did a deal with Sue Hickey where sheā€™d nominate and theyā€™d deliver her enough support to get her elected and thereā€™s been a few other times where sheā€™s gone rogue on the party too. Not overly popular in the party or with the people either. She did similar things as Lord Mayor of Hobart too. She did win support for speaking about the Hobart homeless crisis a week or so ago but Iā€™m pretty sure she was the main instigator in some other decisions to kick the homeless when they were down before.

Would love to have seen her get the health portfolio, I donā€™t think she could have done anything and it would have been a real sense of schadenfreude.

1 Like

This privileged lad who landed a plum MP position had too much Coke for breakfast, obviouslyā€¦

Whatā€™s that got to do with this ?

They have been liberal mps who have done same sort of public stupidityneas.

Mr Fowles, 40, was seen at celebratory drinks in Parliament House following Victorian senator Raff Cicconeā€™s firstspeech, which was also attended by senior Labor members including Penny Wong, Ed Husic and Kimberley Kitching.

God help us if Kimberley Kitching is a ā€œsenior Labor memberā€ now

Victorian MP Will Fowles will not be charged by ACT Police for his attack on a door at Abode Apartments on Thursday.

1 Like

Politicanā€™s cop-out, from the so-called ā€œBuilding Quality Ministerā€ā€¦

ā€¦ WTF?
Iā€™d expect the regulation-is-evil nonsense from the LNP, but this is meant to be a Labor government!

How about getting rid of private building inspectors, and having random inspections by government inspectors who canā€™t (as easily) be ā€˜encouragedā€™ to go-light on builders/developers for fear of not getting more work?

Phoenixing companies state/territory governments canā€™t do much about directly, but the building licensing scheme could be changed to directly tie buildersā€™ licences to their shoddy work (and cancel them) instead of just companies that magically go insolvent.

Government considering developer licencing in nation first

(My bold emphasis added.) Why has the ABC stopped checking their spelling? (Licence is the noun, licensing is a form of the verb license.)
This mangling of the English language is repeated in this otherwise good article.

Oh and the building shown in the article is just shocking, obviously it wonā€™t be the only one.