State/Territory Politics

Have to wonder what old mate Friendly Jordies is going to be doing going forward now that NSW Labor has gained power.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that the only hope of a backflip is if they have to negotiate with the Crossbench - theyā€™re running with their pathetic 500 unit (of 90,000+) ā€œtrialā€ with the expectation that theyā€™ll run it dead.

Most of Laborā€™s policies are great if you live in Sydney (where theyā€™re aimed at) - live outside and itā€™s basically scraps (thats not to say that the oppositions are much better). Labor really needs to boost its presence in the regions and make some effort to show interest in what these communities issues actually are.

2 Likes

Chris Kenny is again arguing they lost because theyā€™re not right wing enough. This is the ridiculous argument the coalition supporters keep pushing that they need to keep lurching to the right. Unbelievable.

Matt Kean comfortably won Hornsby despite a swing against him. He was one of their more competent ministers.

5 Likes

Nine now calling it for Labor too.

If this was at all accurate weā€™d be seeing the minor right wing parties doing a lot better than theyā€™ve done. Canā€™t believe so many still fall for the narrative, albeit itā€™s likely to keep them out of power for longer.

4 Likes

Holy crap they could get to 54/5 seats.

The electorate where I am at (Wollondilly) The Liberals lost to an Independent. Its because people here rather have someone who appeals to the electorate than some guy who literally did nothing for the electorate. ABC is claiming that she is a teal, but according to the Candidate she said no.

2 Likes

Teals have certainly neutralised, that will be one
Relief next federal election for Dutton if that flow stops federally.

Partially because of optional preferential voting. So some of the vote gets exhausted that may have gone to them. So slightly different settings than a federal election.

ABC predicting labor majority.

And for Federal Labor. At the moment they and the Greens have momentum like never before. If Teals decline then hopefully it will be to the benefit of Labor who can extend their majority to about 80+ seats in the house and wipe the Liberals/Nationals.

Itā€™s only just started with state elections turning red.

This will be the Labor decade. Come back 2030s onward for any Blue changes.

1 Like

Maybe NSW Liberals should looks to get more sportspeople for their contests and take a leaf out of how Sam Groth won Nepean in Victoria :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Albaneseā€™s going to have so much ammunition against Dutton this coming week. Prepare for non-stop grilling every time the Liberals open their mouths in parliament, especially Angus Taylor if Labor wins Goulburn which is in Hume.

Andrew Constance must be spewing as well. Firstly he loses Gilmore after resigning from Bega now his precious old seat and state colleagues are joining him in the sun bin for losers.

Perrottet has called Minns and conceded defeat.

1 Like

I already knew the outcome 18 months ago. Minns did a good job guiding Labor out of the wilderness after 12 long years

I donā€™t like his politics and I donā€™t like his policies and I donā€™t like his perspective on social issues and I despise conservatives but Dom Perrottet is a gentlemen and a decent person. So credits where credit is due and his words were good tonight.

6 Likes

Yes heā€™s very gracious tonight. Good sportsman and he should finish his stint with his head held high.

2 Likes

I have never heard a politician tell the people to get behind the other guy. True leader.

He is a decent person just surrounded by fools.

2 Likes

Peter Malinauskas did when he was in opposition and he supported the premier during COVID.

Iā€™m glad they can put politics aside and acknowledge each other when itā€™s time.

1 Like

Yes fancy a person on the right not campaigning about things being woke and just focusing on issues people actually care about.

This a good result for the country, but I donā€™t like the message it sends about running a small target/ low risk campaign. I hope leaders do not learn the wrong lesson here, it should take some ambition and vision to win.

From what Iā€™ve heard of the campaign, it seems like the lack of intense partisanship of the Murdoch media made it a completely different experience vs what we had in Victoria.