State/Territory Politics

Speculation that someone within his own party was threatening to release the photos of Dominic Perrottet in the Nazi uniform and might have influenced his political decisions this week.

Such dirty politics.

1 Like

Indeed.

Aren’t they crazy to want to dump another leader in the same term and so close to the election?

Liberal colleagues went to ground on Thursday afternoon as they grappled with the factional assault on Perrottet’s leadership two-and-a-half months from the March state election.

However, one senior minister, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it was an “internal hit job” against the premier. The minister said Perrottet had no option or would have been “left compromised by one of his own”.

Others expressed concern that the “worst was yet to come,” with rumours of a photograph from the party circulating among political circles.

The election is in a matter of weeks now isn’t it?

Absolutely nuts to be doing this. If this person really wants a shot at the job, assuming this is what it’s about, wouldn’t it be smarter to ensure Dom wins then knife him in April when your government has safely won another 3 years?

Not that I condone this at all but just saying.

Yes, it has to be held by March. Nuts is right but this seems to keep happening in politics. Maybe they have conceded to defeat already and believe that they can only win with someone else leading. That’s the justification they’ve used in the past.

As if anyone is going to vote for someone who’s been in the role for a matter of weeks.

I’m no fan of Perrottet or the Liberals but to his credit at least he owned his mistake and apologised for it and doesn’t think that way anymore which is better than that Scumo who defended everything he did which was a sham on a federal level.

Not that I’d vote for Dom and the Liberals if I was living in NSW since I disagree with a lot of their policies but credit is due where it’s due when it comes to admission of the past.

3 Likes

No, my question is, is he doing it now, or is he in a weekly club where he wears it every week? Otherwise a one-off 19 years ago at around 21 yo, my common sense says it stays in the very very distant past, then again less people have that these days, everyone is obviously perfect or they must be publicly ostracised and annihilated. As I said, some people need to get a grip, understand context and judge it for what the reality is based on what has been presented, which may or may not be the whole story.

3 Likes

Dunno, I had worked out by the age of 21 that dressing up as a nazi would be a pretty distasteful thing to do and not just a fun gag.

It’s so apparent that you lot would be saying the opposite if it was Minns.

3 Likes

I don’t know about others, but I would say the same thing regardless.

I know I won’t play the games of whoever released this two months before an election, most can see straight through it.

1 Like

What is it that you think people can see straight through? The newspaper says that he is being attacked from within his party. Was that expected?

Mm kind of. He said it was his biggest mistake but then accused William and Kate of endorsing and encouraging him to do it, despite him being an adult at the time. Then he throws in the latest woke buzzword “unconscious bias” to further deflect responsibility. That’s what he does.

At least Perrotet isn’t doing that. However in both cases, both grown men should have had better judgement. Regardless of whether they would do it now it still does say something about them. However it shouldn’t automatically mean Perrotet should be removed.

2 Likes

I’ve only read a couple of articles and watch main bulletin news on this but a couple of take of points I got from that were.

He didn’t admit his mistake until he was caught.
There had been numerous opportunities in the past when he could have fessed up including when he made a speech against combatting anti-Semitism.
He called for life-time bans for football fans who used Nazi symbols.
He was an adult and within a few years of the birthday president of the young Liberals.
He is a hard right Liberal including anti-marriage equality and anti-climate change, suggesting why the party is getting nervous about the polls.

4 Likes

See through an obvious attempt by a vested interest to smear the person’s standing. No doubt whoever made this happen bringing it to light was sitting on it looking for the best time to cause maximum damage. I just have zero interest in supporting that kind of ill intent. Reading the article, nothing is said about exactly who this came from so it must be a vested interest otherwise there is no reason to hide.

I can understand how this can happen based on the school environment of impressing the people around you and going along with the group, dependent on the influences around you. The question to be asked is whether the person would do it today and if not why not.

1 Like

Odds are getting shorter for Labor now. $1.18.

55 days to go!

I still think it’s too early to call, we will get some more colour early March, no doubt more scandals to magically appear in the next month and a bit.

2 Likes

The polls in the Victorian election were very bad, if the same companies poll NSW they should be viewed with a lot of skepticism. Red Bridge research said Daniel Andrews was set to lose 13 seats and slip into minority. Instead labor picked up a seat and extended their supermajority.

Pretty sure that wasn’t a poll but some kind of ‘analysis’ over a year or two of focus groups and polls.

The actual polls always had a comfortable Labor lead on 2PP. Unfortunately the media, particularly the ABC and Age, bought the Libs spin that primary votes were the most important thing. The hun and the Oz were on another planet, obviously.

Sportsbet had Labor at $1.30 and Libs $5 in Victoria for about 6 months.

1 Like