State/Territory Politics

Can’t progress in Tasmania when Greens are involved. We have 100% renewable energy but even that’s a battle.

Can’t create dams for Hydro - kills the wildlife.
Can’t create windfarms - birds fly into it.
Can’t do solar power.

Can’t advance the tourism industry because they’re against all of that too. Then rather than solving all the crucial issues it’s about ramming through birth certificates and things like that which the majority of people don’t care about - they want the ramping and health issues fixed, they want the pay strikes to be over but the Greens and Labor are into weird deals like the certificates without allowing any investigations into it all or releasing any detail about what they want changed and why. Very dishonest considering what they’re always banging on about with dodgy deals.

Labor were great with Jim Bacon (Labor), the state was booming then but all the Labor leaders after that just couldn’t keep that momentum going. Will unfortunately hasn’t lived up to full expectations but it’s much better than it could have been.

1 Like

So in some context and analysis the Victorian elections results that overall Australians:

• believe in climate change and want renewable energy and a comepkte rejection of the extreme right wing views that people want to reject Paris climate targets and a return to coal fired power stations

• do not want extreme right wing social policies that a grounded in religious fundamentalists … we are a secular country

• want money spent on infrastructure… this whole debt argument is flawed. Govenerments can be in debt for eternity. They are not profit making businesses.

So the right wing demagogues that try to rule the federal policy position like abbot, abetz, corman, Cash, kelly etc etc are clearly on the wrong side of what Australians want.

4 Likes

You know it’s bad when NewsCorp report the Liberal loss as a bloodbath.

I’m staggered by the scale of the result tonight. Had pegged Labor closer to 54% 2PP, but I (like many) was way out.

Note to federal Labor: ride the social progressive wave.

The Liberal brand is dead in Victoria, and on early preference counts the Nationals brand north of Melbourne is well shot too. May will be a bloodbath if the federal parties don’t take lessons from a directionless LNP

Nathan Rees problem was is that he is honest. He wasn’t in it for himself like some of the others on both sides are. Given more time I think he could have been a good premier. As we know he was rolled by the corrupt Eddie Obeid who installed “I am nobody’s girl”.

2 Likes

An adult teenager uni student, still on his L plates gettin around on busses, looks to have taken out one of the traditionally safest Liberal (and most affluent electoates) in Victoria, Bayside’s Brighton.

I SALUTE YOU AND WHAT A PRECEDENT THAT HAS BEEN SET :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah maybe, but I’m trying to remember the reasons why Morris was rolled in 2008. Probably scandal-related like a lot of things during the last five or six years of NSW Labor?

With the benefit of hindsight, I also wonder what political leadership in NSW might’ve been like if Labor didn’t win the election they probably shouldn’t have in 2007. IIRC, Peter Debnan (spelling?) who was the NSW Liberal Leader back then wasn’t very good and possibly a major reason why the state gave Iemma another chance.

1 Like

I am holidaying in Sydney so I had to listen to the coverage on ABC News Radio (on my way back from Supercars Newcastle 500) and watched the end of the count on ABC News channel in my apartment.
While I am not surprised that Labor was returned, the fact it increased its majority in the lower house surprised me. It even reclaimed the seat of Mount Waverley (my electorate) which had been Liberal since 2010.

Was that the TV coverage, local radio Melbourne or their own?

It was the coverage of ABC Radio Melbourne.

1 Like

Matthew Guy has stepped down as Victorian Liberal Party leader after the weekend’s election defeat and will not contest next week’s leadership ballot.

1 Like

"I would like to place on record my deep appreciation for the hard work of all my Liberal members in the last parliament. They were the most unified team of any parliamentary party in Australia.

…unlike all those backstabbers in the federal team. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

To their credit, they spent all their energy fighting their largest donor in court, so there wasn’t much left in the tank with which to use to throw leaders under the bus.

Many were urging him to resign for his poor efforts which led to the party getting smashed at the election.

“It is now time for all Liberals to put aside their differences at every level of the Party and work towards the Party’s most urgent and major goal which is the re-election of Scott Morrison as Prime Minister of Australia,” he said.

It’s now time? :joy:

3 Likes

Well, he can always work for Sky News :wink:

he is already on Sky News for the Conroy & Kroger show

He missed Jeff Kennett’s deadline but I reckon he’ll be happy.

Michael O’Brien was elected the new Liberal leader this morning, after the party’s stunning state election loss.

This morning, Labor labelled him “the Steven Bradbury of the Victorian Liberal Party” — referring to the Winter Olympic speed skater who won a gold medal after his competitors fell over — claiming most Liberal MPs preferred Mr Pesutto.

Kick them while they’re down. :joy:

1 Like