State/Territory Politics

1 Like

Good. Why should he get special treatment? Toughen up princess.

LOL when has that ever occured in Australia?

“Mr Palmer argues comments made by Mr McGowan in 2020, which included calling him an “enemy” of the state, damaged his reputation.”

Palmer’s reputation went down the drain many years ago.

Plus, we know how well Palmer’s case against Friendlyjordies went and he called Palmer far worse than an “enemy”

1 Like
1 Like

If that does happen there is nothing wrong with that. I see nothing racist or discriminatory about that. And I am a black person for god’s sake. Again all hysteria from your favourite news source - ABC. :stuck_out_tongue:

What’s the reason for doing so? Fraud? Ok, with what evidence?

Voter ID is a solution to a problem we don’t have.

3 Likes

LOL.

It’s a blatant attempt at voter suppression copied from the USA; as @Nick said there is no evidence of illegal voting.

Presumably the LNP believe it is more likely to disenfranchise people more likely to vote for their opponents.

I guess you don’t remember that “Papers please!” was a hallmark/meme indicative of a totalitarian regime like Nazi Germany & the Soviet Union, so why should we demand identity papers when there’s no legitimate reason to do so?

Morrison should be trying to solve actual problems instead of inventing ones for partisan political reasons.

4 Likes

Qld LNP is not much better. Crestafulli has no name recognition and te spectre of newman will haunt them for a long time.

i am going to assume given you have an internet connection and some device to post here you are at least upper lower class, if not middle class.

this voter ID law will primarily affect lower class where the $73 charged by the Qld govt for a proof of age card (for example) could be the difference between having food or not, and that is assuming they have all the documents required. Not everyone has a birth even registered, let alone another $51 for a birth certificate.

in the 2016 federal election, 18,000 people were registered to vote twice. thats about 120 per seat on average, but when investigated the majority were found to be AEC error (names marked off twice)

Australia’s voting system is world renowned - as a matter of fact, the secret ballot is also known as the Australian Ballot and the AEC is often asked to assist in elections using the australian system in other countries.

there is no need for mandatory voter ID. all it does is inconvenience people for no real benefit to the electorate (only to the Libs)

5 Likes

Apologies for the paywall, I’m some of you subscribe. But I bet Jeff didn’t see this coming when he created the criteria. :joy:

I dont see how you can have voter suppression via voter id and compulsory voting - they’re basically incongruous positions.

1 Like

NT News reports Alice Springs Mayor Matt Paterson sent a letter to more than 40 of Australia’s most influential politicians last night, in a desperate plea for help take back control of the spiralling rates of crime facing the town. The recipients included Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt, Education Minister Alan Tudge, the four NT Senators and NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner.

The full letter:

1 Like

The idea is that POC and disadvantaged communities are less likely to have government-issued ID, which prevents them from voting even though they’re citizens or permanent residents.

In theory, voter ID laws are not racist or classist. But if you know your electorate has a sizeable chunk of people who are less likely to have ID and don’t vote for you, you can rig the results in your favour by purposefully excluding said voters.

Also, how do you think voter fraud is discovered already? Voter registers already get checked in some jurisdictions, making voter ID unnecessary.

2 Likes

Hmmmm…if he wins, that would be his tennis broadcasting career over.

Just like John Alexander who won the federal Sydney seat of Bennelong in 2010.

1 Like

VIC Libs seem to have gone all out getting former / current sportspeople as candidates.

Outside of Nine’s coverage, does he do a lot? Like travel on the tour like say Fred Stolle did for years?

If he is pre-selected, it’s a seat the Libs should win back from Labor but no guarantees with how they’ve performed lately.

Sounds like she’s getting nervous.