Stan

Maybe it will be like HBO and Foxtel? No sign of HBO Now launching … wouldn’t Disney make more money in Australia via licensing ?

There was an article online a while back saying " there has been speculation Nine and Stan will look for a longer-term partnership with the US giantMr Marks said he hoped Stan could be the “home of Disney in Australia”

Also Stan tells me via PM that those titles above they have every episode and it is correct.

Pen15 the actors are 24 and 31 and playing 13 but surrounded by actual 13 year olds… that’s odd unless it is like Wet Hot American Summer how them playing the age is the joke?

Here is the full list :slight_smile:

Have to say, Stan is a landmark initiative in the Australian TV landscape. They have played this game perfectly.

It’s all about content content content and in this regard they have excelled as a local player.

10 Likes

I’m looking forward to watching some Scrubs. Due to Seven’s erratic scheduling I never did get to watch all of it.

1 Like

We lost our DVD’s of Scrubs so it’ll be good to have it there, showed the Mrs and all of a sudden it’s made the Stan subscription worthwhile in her eyes. Happy wife, I get to do my thing.

1 Like

10 All Access need to pick up their game a bit , Stan is making $10 a month seem like very good value compared to 10All Access.

To be fair, 95% of people wouldn’t be on Stan’s $10 plan considering you can only stream in SD

2 Likes

Ok fair enough but for $12 then , $2 more it seems far better value.

The SMH is saying that the Stan deal with Disney ends late this year, so it appears it was only for about 12 months.

Here:

I wonder what that means for all the titles like Lost, Revenge, Scrubs , Fosters being added, so they are only available for a short time?

In other news Stan has bumped the 4k plan to $17 up from $15 but still a dollar cheaper than Netflix.

Damn my plan has gone up $2

Also this article says

“Meanwhile, we see Marks had another rather important under-the-radar visitor, this time at the Australian Open men’s final: Disney executive Kevin Mayer, who we gather is responsible for streaming services and international distribution.Nine and Disney signed a content deal for Stan in December, but the Hollywood studio plans to launch its own streaming service later this year, leaving that agreement at risk.
But who could resist the lure of courtside seats, no better a location in our opinion to discuss whether that business partnership could be deepened, rather than ended.”

Two new US dramas coming to Stan.

1 Like

A few seasons behind on rupaul but am watching season 10 now. What happened to Ru’s voice?

I’m a bit late to the party on Drag Race (ok, a lot late)but started on S4 recently and am currently halfway through S7, so far I’m enjoying it. Very convenient that Stan has all seasons available and you can skip the intro / recaps etc. I just wish they’d get rid of the damn ad break bumpers like earlier seasons which didn’t have them, cause it’s getting real annoying when binge watching the season.

All good looked it up and apparently she was sick for a few episodes.

As mentioned in Nine Entertainment’s half year results this morning:

Stan recorded a very strong period for sign-ups, with active subscribers now of 1.5m. Stan’s consistent roll-out of exclusives like The Harry Quebert Affair and Who Is America? and local content like Bloom complemented the addition of Disney from mid-December. Usage per subscriber continues to increase, with daily total hours streamed now exceeding 1m.
Revenue growth of 50%, and a cost increase of 19% again highlights the leverage of this business. The strong subscriber growth, coupled with the recently announced price increase means that Stan is expected to exit FY19 with a positive profit run-rate, and expectations of a net positive EBITDA contribution in FY20.

Stan’s revenue increased from $43.4 million last year to $65.2 million this year, with EBITDA loss at $21.8 million.

Absolutely incredible statistic here: McLeod’s Daughters made Stan $1 million. “Content can have a long life,” Hugh Marks says. "Look at a show like McLeod’s Daughters , it still wrote $1m revenue for us in BVOD over summer. And that is for a show from 20 years ago. While your overnight ratings are relevant, the real measure is what a show can do over many years. That is how we judge on where we should spend our money in the business. "

2 Likes

Hopefully this wakes the networks up in relation to the potential of their vast back catalogue of local content.

3 Likes

I mean, to be fair it probably costs a million to make one hour of local drama so it’s still expensive but if you can get it right and get overseas sales, a long shelf life etc. it should work.

Just to clarify, McLeod’s Daughters is on 9Now, so presumably that $1 million is from the ad revenue.

Is this revenue separate from sales overseas? It is still often repeated in countries like italy.

I wonder what the reason for Stan delaying Season 4 of Angie Tribeca is , it aired in December in the USA.