Stan

Stan will be streaming season 1 of The Handmaid’s Tale from tomorrow (December 12) - and in 4K.

1 Like
2 Likes

Interesting as DisneyPlus was supposed to be a standalone streaming service next year so that means we won’t see it in Australia then?

maybe its just a 12 month deal til the launch…?

3 Likes

Seven won’t be happy as it still has a good relationship with Disney and has FTA first run rights to movies made and/or distributed by Disney and its subsidiaries. Who knows Nine (which now owns 100% of Stan) may want that FTA rights too?

Ten have been airing Disney titles for well over a year now, Nine currently airing “The Santa Clause”.

Seven’s exclusivity ended some years back, however yes, they appear to still be the only network airing Disney FTA premieres.

I’ll be all over this tomorrow (well, until the cricket starts)… got to love “working” from home :slight_smile:

Stan are really spending up big, really trying to go hard against Netflix.

I wonder if they have some of long term agreement and Stan becomes part of the bigger Disney streaming service in 12 months time.

1 Like

Bloom has dropped early.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Stan has just had its strongest subscription growth period since launch on the back of a content deal with Disney for the rights to its movies and shows ahead of the Christmas period. Nine CEO Hugh Marks said he hoped Stan could be the “home of Disney in Australia”. This could be bad news for Seven which may not be able to show Disney movies in a few years’ time.

1 Like

Disney is launching its own Disney streaming service worldwide and it will soon have majority ownership of Hulu which it has stated they plan to launch outside the US. How long is the Stan-Disney deal, I wonder?

1 Like

Unlikely. Streaming and terrestrial broadcast rights would be seperate.

2 Likes

One would think Nine would try to get terrestrial broadcast rights to Disney movies from Seven as well.

Seems like no network is willing to sign contracts for exclusive rights with any studio because they’re so expensive and not value for money these days. Seems like they prefer to cherry pick the hit movies instead.

1 Like

Ok so here goes, it looks like Stan has picked up rights to Lost, The Fosters, Scrubs, Revenge, Switched at Birth ,The Crossing , Stag and Siren.

Also every episode of The Golden Girls.

Also a show called Pen15 .

and

Stan is on a roll with content acquisitions. I do wonder how long the Disney deal will last though, I don’t think Disney would have committed to anything more than 2-3 years by which point they will likely want to launch Disney Plus in this market which is aiming to launch at the end of this year in the US.

2 Likes