Stadia

Are you fit or are you fat?

Iā€™m very fit. Gym 4 times a week, plus cycling.

1 Like

Agreed.[quote=ā€œJBar, post:63, topic:4587, full:trueā€]
Arts isnā€™t just a gallery or an art show. Weā€™re talking about music, theatre, movies, television, festivals. More people are involved in all those forms of entertainment than watch sport.
[/quote]

Agreed

The South Africans need to start sprucing up their cricket groundsā€¦ theyā€™re all looking rather old.

1 Like

Panthers own their stadium as well I believe.

The NRL arenā€™t going to relocate any teams. I could see Cronulla and Manly being relegated to a new elite national second tier alongside North Sydney, Newtown, Northern Pride, PNG Hunters, CQ Capras, Illawarra Steelers, etc.

If the NRL are going to enter a team in Perth, it will be entirely new. Not the Western Magpies, Perth Sea Eagles, Wests Tigers or West Coast Sharks.

Nearly all other countries are a bit like that.

Pitches themselves aside, Australia does have the best cricket stadiums in the world.

Even in America, most of their football grandstands look quite old, and are not under cover either.

The Australian is reporting that the NSW government has said that the demolition of the Sydney Football Stadium (aka Allianz) at Moore Park is going ahead and will commence by early February, and that the work on Stadium Australia (aka ANZ) at Sydney Olympic Park will commence later this year.

Huh? Itā€™s already started.

2 Likes

Actually knocking over the structure is what it means, I think.

I donā€™t think theyā€™d be nearly as good without having AFL as a winter use for them - the MCG certainly couldnā€™t be built to its current size just based on cricket.

Itā€™s a situation other countries really canā€™t match - the closest thing to oval stadiums are usually rectangle grounds with running tracks around them, but most of those arenā€™t suitable anyway - as evidenced by the failure of plans to use the London Olympic stadium for cricket at the World Cup.

2 Likes

Absolutely. The MCG is by name only cricket ground.

i was in new york when they first opened citi field. I was sitting at the game and one new yorker was telling me all about how good the stadium is and how it seats 45,000.

I laughed and told him about the G. he asked how many times it is filled. i came up with 4 or 5 off the top of my head (the majority being footy - ANZAC day, Grand Final, etc). he looked thoughful for a min and said ā€œiā€™d sure like to see thatā€

Though the Gabba is officially known as the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

1 Like

Disclaimer: Random thought and not to be taken too seriously.

With sports shifting their focus toward television, do we think that one day we will see glorified TV studios instead of stadiums. Essentially a field with signage on three sides and a small stand seating ~8,000 with commentary positions at the top.

For example, Nine would have a studio in Sydney where they would film NRL matches and cameras built into the signage would automatically track play.

Yes, it sounds very pie in the sky and somewhat pessimistic but with the way sports such as rugby league are trending we just may see it happen in the distant future (2050).

Been to a North Melbourne home game at the Docklands? They used to regularly only allow top level seating on the ā€˜hard cameraā€™ side. I know itā€™s not quite what you mean but I think itā€™s a step towards the solely for TV bit.

2 Likes

You see the same at Robina Stadium on the Gold Coast. One side of the ground is open and they close the other three stands except for high-drawing games.

1 Like

Iā€™d expect this part to happen - but I think it would start out on lower grade stuff once the tech is there and cheap. So NSW Cup rather than NRL matches, at least until they got it to par.

Thereā€™s a lot of sport that gets single camera live streams - and plenty of companies investing in improving the quality of what that kind of sports coverage looks like.

Iā€™d assume stuff like Horse Racing is probably nearly already fully automated, or at least would be easily able to be.

As for the rest - in the US thereā€™s a move to reductions in the seating at some stadiums - so they can add more premium lounges where you sit indoors in an airconditioned room on a recliner to watch a sporting event. Kinda like cinemas - by enhancing the experience of people watching, they can get more money out of lower attendances. So Iā€™d expect large stadiums with significantly more luxury seating, rather than small stadiums just for the hardcore fans.

2 Likes

One thing I like about US stadiums is that they have multiple uses and are used as entertainment precincts and not just sports fields.

For something like Stadium Australia could it ever work having shops, restaurants and bars open to the public inside the stadium before being closed on game day. This then gives these businesses the added bonus of being able to do good business during games. So, the shopping precinct could be open Monday-Wednesday then closed off due to an NRL game on Thursday before opening up again on Friday/Saturday and closing for an NRL game on Sunday.

I am shocked that the Sydney Olympic Park remains by and large a sporting precinct and not a multi-use zone with a high concentration of residential, commercial and recreational areas.

1 Like

SOPA are trying to turn it into a more multi-functional area, but its going to be difficult when the majority of people who live there work somewhere else and vice-versa.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get what you are trying to say