Stadia

I wonder about that orientation too. When NRL matches are played at the SCG the field is north-south.

I’d say NRL matches will also be in the west-east configuration, probably to protect the north-south configuration for the Swans.

Does this competition actually mean anything really anyway?

And even if NSW make the semis, they will no doubt lose to a NZ team.

I remember going to ‘State of the Union’ games at Ballymore and those matches actually meant something.

The NRL field is north-south tonight for Roosters v Rabbitohs, as shown on Nine’s pre-match coverage and a tweet from Sydney Roosters this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/sydneyroosters/status/1106456605896249344

When the 2019 AFL fixture was released in late October last year, GWS Giants’ home ground was shown as Sydney Showground Stadium (the venue’s formal name). I was wondering why, and today I finally found a press release on the end of Spotless Group’s sponsorship of the venue. However it also said “a new naming rights partner for the venue is expected to be announced in the coming months”.
https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/sydney-showground-stadium-loses-spotless-naming-rights-despite-record-breaking-summer/

1 Like

Might want to change the name of this thread, given that Google has now announced a platform called Stadia :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Done

2 Likes

Bring back the eyeroll react

2 Likes

Sports Stadia would have fine with me.

I’d gone with Fields of Dreams.

“Build it and they will come”.

Or Field of Nightmares if it leads to a hung parliament and possibly losing the election.

Yep.

1 Like

It was announced today that Sydney Showground Stadium will be known as Giants Stadium effective immediately, after the AFL club secured its own naming rights deal with The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW, with the support from a group of cash-up supporters.

2 Likes

Will always be the Showground to me, fuck the Giants.

Hope Cricket NSW calls it the Thunderdome and doesn’t mention the Giants in any way, shape or form when the Thunder plays there.

Again, fuck the Giants. They’re all Swans fans in denial. Yes I said it, kiss my arse. :joy::joy::joy:

But what do you really think? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah…I’m not really a fan of the new Giants Stadium name.

On the SMH article though:

From what I recall, it’s been known as NAB Arena & Commonwealth Bank Arena in the past. Or do those sponsorships of the venue not count because they were only during the Sydney Royal Easter Show?

I’ll always call it the Main Arena, which is the original name.

1 Like

If the Swans can call their ground the “Sydney” Cricket Ground, I don’t see why the Giants can’t call their ground Giants Stadium - I like the name.

The analogy there should be Swans Stadium, not “Sydney” Cricket Ground.

Or they should have named the Sydney Showground as GWS Stadium.

The SCG has always been the SCG, pre 1982.

Again, fuck the Giants. :wink: :rofl: