Stadia

They’d have the money

Rugby league icon Ron Coote, football icon Johnny Warren and Wallabies great Sir Nicholas Shehadie will be immortalised at the rebuilt stadium.

Controversially, the SCG Trust has also opted to name on stand the ‘Garrison Stand’, acknowledging the British Army Soldiers that played cricket on a stretch of turf that later became the SCG.

Venues NSW chairman Tony Shepherd told SMH that female athletes are still among the candidates for recognition with grandstand names at the new venue.

2 Likes

Ha!

Typical Melbourne response! :rofl:

Typically smug Sydney comment

1 Like

Does that shit pass as reporting now?

Shame that the report contained a complete lack of detail that would explain that The Big Dance isn’t intended to rival the Melbourne Cup

Attracting a younger audience to the races underpins Racing NSW’s strategy and ‘The Big Dance‘, a fresh $2 million, 1600m race at Randwick on Melbourne Cup day, will be an important cog in that wheel.

The feature will be restricted to horses who have contested any one of 25 Country Cups across NSW that year, will be held after the Melbourne Cup is run, and will be part of a day of celebration which will also include a performance by a major international musical act after the final event.

V’Landys says Racing NSW is not trying to take away from Victoria’s pinnacle event but rather capitalise on it, comparing Melbourne Cup day for the racing industry to Valentine’s Day for a florist.

“I use the analogy of a florist. Next week, it’s Valentine’s Day so why wouldn’t all the florists be open on that particular day when you’re going to sell the most product?” V’Landys said.

“On that particular day, the Victorians do a great job of attracting a national audience and we’re just going to provide our own flowers.”

The Melbourne Cup might be our most famous race, but it’s by no means our best

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/english/international-racing/world-rankings/world100-g1-ranking.aspx

1 Like

Except I’m in Newcastle, but not too far off :stuck_out_tongue:

Manly Sea Eagles have confirmed plans to rename the southern stand at Brookvale Oval after club legends Cliff Lyons and Steve Menzies, and the new northern stand after the late Bob Fulton. The southern stand is currently known as the Fulton-Menzies Stand.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/cliffy-lyons-and-steve-menzies-to-be-honoured-with-renamed-stand-at-brookvale-oval/news-story/c90674b02d1926e3d0a3b0b8b7397ee9

3 Likes
4 Likes

Starting to look a lot like the old stadium!

2 Likes

I think this was inevitable… I do think the proposal should include an extension to build over the railways and join the tennis centre as one sporting complex.

1 Like

i.e. this one?

3 Likes

At the very minimum, build a railway station there for major events, pretty much where the tram stop at the rear of John Cain Arena is. I don’t think you could completely close Richmond Station given how much use it gets on non event days, but redesign that so it serves Swan Street better and sports crowds get a dedicated station.

2 Likes

I think it is too soon to rebuild the Great Southern Stand, given it is just over 30 years old. A major upgrade including a new touch of paint should ensure it will last for another 20 years.
A covered walkway from the MCG to Richmond station needs to be built though.

4 Likes

It won’t be for another 5 years… and the time it’s completed it’ll be 40 years old which is warranted. Stadiums have a lifespan of 30 years these days.

2 Likes

Let’s hope it’ll be the height as the Northern Stand - my OCD kicks in when I see the MCG

2 Likes

Though ideally they’d also do a better job of covering Richmond station - when it’s pouring down you still get pretty drenched on the platforms.

The article certainly seems to overstate the need for an upgrade - there’s not a single event “at risk” due to the quality or capacity of the MCG, nor any need to go larger than 100k.

About the only thing for me would be if they could get more of the seating under cover or at least shaded - there’s parts that absolutely bake on a hot day. A full roof isn’t the answer, but I think you could do something to make it a bit more pleasant.

3 Likes

According to AFL website, new state-of-the-art scoreboards at the Coventry and Lockett ends of Marvel Stadium will be installed after the three AAMI Community Series games are played this weekend, just in time for round 1 of the premiership season.

1 Like
2 Likes