Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

They could always adjust historical stats to metric, would help to make the game a bit more Canadian too.

Players might just need to adjust to 10 metres than 10 yards with their skills like passing and things like that, but yeah, i can’t see them changing it now either.

1 Like
2 Likes

Min Woo Lee has won his first Australian PGA Championship by three shots at Royal Queensland Golf Club. It’s his fourth professional title.

This comes four days after his sister Minjee claimed the Greg Norman Medal for the third time.

3 Likes

The @brisbaneblazeh1 are the 2023 JDH Hockey One League Women's Champions!

It was a furiously fast Grand Final, and there's one more left to go. Tune in live and free on @7plus NOW to watch the @nswprideh1 men attempt to defend their title against the @brisbaneblazeh1 pic.twitter.com/VkGncxqxoN

— Hockey One (@H1League) November 26, 2023

2 Likes

Two Olympic Games in France in the next 6 years with Paris hosting the 2024 Summer Games and Nice and the French Alps most likely to host the 2030 Winter Games.

2 Likes

Dislike this. Would have liked to see new hosts. 2034 will be a complete run-run of the 2002 games.

2 Likes

The US seem to get them about every 30 years.

A bit like how Australia gets the Summer ones every 30-40 years.

There’s not a lot of countries that can or want to host them.

4 Likes

There were various bids for the 2030 Olympics though
Stockholm-Are, Sweden
Switzerland
French Alps
Salt Lake City, USA

Given France and USA are hosting the 2024 and 2028 games, I would have selected either Sweden or Switzerland for 2030. Bidding never opened for 2034 so I am sure there would have been cities planning to bid for 2034 who now no longer have the opportunity to do so.

3 Likes

I was hoping for Stockholm to host 2030 as they missed out in 2026

1 Like

Same here

Stockholm syndrome.

4 Likes

It’s going to become increasingly difficult to find new host cities - I can see the Olympics (of both seasons) moving towards a model that has it rotate through a selection of host cities

4 Likes
1 Like

I guess there’s not really a one-shot bid process anymore, though - there is a “continuous dialogue” period followed by this “preferred host” model where they now talk to France, and they gave themselves an opening in October to talk to the US, for the likelihood of a “double award” like what happened for 2024/28. Curiously, they have also put Switzerland in a “privileged dialogue” stage for 2038, while it is still a few years away from feasibly being able to award it.

The same model played out with Brisbane getting summer 2032. In the end, the IOC suits themselves and us mere mortals (well, they’d think that anyway) will never quite understand the reasoning :stuck_out_tongue:

Sapporo was probably going to be part of the 2030 list too, but their support crumbled after alleged bribery allegations popped up re the Tokyo games - it’s speculated that was probably the one they might’ve gone with instead if not for that, and if so we might’ve had an announcement this year rather than next.

1 Like

Jon Rahm has announced a bombshell move to LIV Golf, a stunning blow to the PGA Tour as it races to try to finalise a commercial agreement with the Saudi Arabian backers of the rival league.

2 Likes

UPDATE 13/12

1 Like

With all the news going on about the 2032 Olympics, even Sydney had a rocky start before it became the Best Olympic Games Ever

Herald Sun veteran sports journalist Jon Anderson has compiled a list of his top 50 Australian sportspeople for 2023. The top five are:

1. Sam Kerr (football)
  2. Emma McKeon (swimming)
  3. Travis Head (cricket)
  4. Nathan Cleary (rugby league)
  5. Mollie O’Callaghan (swimming)
2 Likes

Looks like this year I’m going to get something I’ve always waited for…as of 10:37PM there are still 5 boats still yet to finish the Sydney-Hobart race. One of them is about to make the final turn or so into the Derwent, another is about 40 Nautical miles from the finish, but the other 3 will be singing Auld Lang Syne whilst still racing to the finish.

1 Like