Sports That Don’t Have Or Need A Thread

The new team will be known as Melbourne Mavericks.

2 Likes
1 Like

Great result for Australian F1 driver Oscar Piastri in this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix. He came third in this afternoon’s race, his first ever podium finish, after qualifying second on the grid yesterday.
Max Verstappen claimed the race with Piastri’s McLaren teammate Lando Norris second.

6 Likes
2 Likes

A number of similarities in the 2 main Grand Finals this weekend.

• Both were won by teams in black and white
  • Both winning teams came from behind and were the “home” teams
  • Both losing teams were called Brisbane
  • Both were great games and went down to the wire
  • Both were played in significantly hotter than normal conditions
7 Likes

Similarly, both finished on top of the ladder in their respective competitions.

4 Likes

Gold Coast Suns the only Queensland team that can handle the GF pressure it seams!

Season 7 AFLW Grand Final (most recent final) - Melbourne defeat Brisbane Lions
BBL12 Final (most recent final) - Perth Scorchers defeat Brisbane Heat
VFL Grand Final - Gold Coast Suns defeat Werribee
AFL Grand Final - Collingwood defeat Brisbane Lions
NRL State Championship Final - South Sydney defeat Brisbane Tigers
NRLW Grand Final - Newcastle Knights defeat Gold Coast Titans
NRL Grand Final - Penrith Panthers defeat Brisbane Broncos

3 Likes

Was it that warm in Sydney at night?

Let’s see how the Roar go in the Australia Cup Final (not technically a “Grand Final” but neither was the State Championship Final) this Sunday: QLD’s last hope!

Yes, at the 7.30pm kick off it was still 29 degrees. A cool southerly change arrived only near the end of the game and gave Penrith an advantage helping Nathan Cleary to kick that 40/20 that got them into position to score a try.

2 Likes

The AFLW Final was a home final for Brisbane

1 Like

I know I never mentioned anything regarding who was the home or away team or where it was played

2 Likes

Europe regained the Ryder Cup in Golf early this morning with a 16.5-11.5 point victory over the USA in Rome. The bi-annual event consisted of foursomes and fourballs on the first 2 days and 12 singles games on the last day.

1 Like

One omen that could have been picked up during the game on Saturday. The Ranfurly Shield (a challenge series played within New Zealand’s National Provincial Rugby Championship) was played last weekend for the last time this year between Wellington (the Lions) and Hawke’s Bay (the Magpies). Like Collingwood on this side of the ditch the Magpies took revenge on the Lions by claiming the Shield which they lost to the Lions over a year ago, much like how Brisbane won Grand Finals against Collingwood 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Seven new inductees were announced today for the nation’s most prestigious sporting organisation, the Sport Australia Hall of Fame (SAHOF).

The new inductees are Kim Brennan AM, a rowing icon with Olympic gold and multiple medals; Tim Cahill AO, the only Socceroo to play at four FIFA World Cups; Kurt Fearnley AO, a three-time Paralympic gold medallist and two-time Commonwealth Games medallist; aerial skiing Olympic champion Lydia Lassila OAM; Dally M winner and former North Queensland Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston AM; Nova Peris OAM, the first Indigenous Australian to win an Olympic gold medal as a Hockeyroo and the only person to make back-to-back Summer Olympic Games finals in two different sports; and Tim McLaren OAM, one of the most renowned rowing coaches in the world, who has successfully coached crews at every Olympic Games since 1992.

2 Likes

Cricket, softball, baseball and flag football are among sports that are set to be included in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

5 Likes

What about the 94m? I want to see Brian Dawes world record finally beaten

https://fb.watch/nBq1tm8s2J/?mibextid=v7YzmG

1 Like

Russia’s Olympic Committee has been suspended for violating the Olympic charter with “immediate effect and until further notice” after it incorporated sports bodies from four territories annexed from Ukraine.

The suspension was announced by the International Olympic Committee as a response to Russia’s decision to recognise Olympic councils from the occupied regions of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia last week.

However Adams said the suspension had not yet affected the possibility of neutral Russian athletes competing at next year’s Paris Olympics, which would be decided at a later date.

1 Like

Officially confirmed during today’s IOC meeting in India. Lacrosse and squash will also be included in Los Angeles 2028.

3 Likes

A bit of a shame, I’m glad I went to one whilst it was on here as I don’t think it will ever be here again.

Newcastle is sadly a bit of a NIMBY town, though not as bad as it used to be

4 Likes

I went to three of the four editions (missing 2017), twas always a great day out bookended by long three-hour train rides to and from Strathfield.

But I don’t think it’ll be the end of it - remember, the Adelaide 500 got a revival last year after Labor won government in SA. The previous Liberal government in that state had axed the event citing high costs.

4 Likes