Seven (Southern Cross)

Because you’re getting TV from the Remote Central & Eastern licence area.

It’s not state specific, it’s South-East specific. SCTV Central South covers NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia. You’re just lucky that they chose 7 Melbourne for programming. Imparja South shows 9 Sydney programming.

1 Like

Well it’s not that easy, i’m even surprised that VIC gets VAST anyway!

It’s all up to bandwidth and stuff like that.

If you want some local news, go to channel 408 which is WIN news Western Victoria.

1 Like

Because there isn’t enough space on the VAST Satellite to carry Prime7/9/WIN Ballarat and other adjacent regionals to other VAST areas eg.say Prime7/9/10 Tamworth for remote towns like Walgett in the NSW North West.

1 Like

Sounds about right :disappointed:

Thanks for the explanation guys :+1:

What do Alice Springs and Mt Isa sub-markets get respectively?

I always thought “SCTV South” was Alice Springs & “SCTV North” was Mt Isa?

Queensland and NT viewers get the North versions of SCTV Central/Imparja/Ten Central in AEST. You’re watching the South versions in AEDT. Both North and South channels contain the same Alice Springs and Mt. Isa-based advertising.

1 Like

Plenty of isolated areas in Victoria, sometimes not even that far from Melbourne, that can’t get terrestrial TV.

2 Likes

Wollombi is only about 30km south east of Cessnock in NSW and is well within the Northern NSW licence area, but due to the terrain the residents cannot get terrestrial reception from Newcastle. Everyone has to have VAST or Foxtel.

Just saw some older posts about SC Tasmania’s equipment - I’d think given they will begin having Nine supply their news in most areas, they should just make SC Tas the hub for the remaining non-Nine news, giving it an upgrade in the process .

With NNSW and the GTS/BKN area the only remaining news output from Canberra, it would be interesting what staff levels they could maintain there if they didn’t.

Interesting questions!

Perhaps GTS/BKN News might come out of Nine Adelaide as a 30 min pre recorded bulletin and still be aired on SC7?

And Vanessa O’Hanlon to do the noodle updates for TEN Nth NSW?

It would hardly seem worth it to keep any news facility in Canberra just for those 2 things.

Does SCA still do local news updates for Remote/Central Australia on their Seven-affiliated Southern Cross branded station? If so, add that to the list alongside Ten Northern NSW and GTS/BKN.

Also, couldn’t the current presenters of the Canberra-based “Local News Headlines” updates possibly be given reporting roles for the new SCA Nine bulletin in the nation’s capital or something?

I don’t think SCA are required to do Local updates for Remote… which is an oxymoron since it is such a BIG licence area.

As for the Canberra SCA journos, I’m not sure that they would have enough time to file reports for SCA’s Nine Canberra news AND do noodle updates for TEN North.

1 Like

SCA do news updates for the remote area as part of their Darwin news updates

1 Like

I don’t think anything with change for the news services outside VIC, SNSW and QLD. The extra staff and studio requirements would be too much for Nine to want to setup local news for one market iut of Adelaide. The GTS/BKN news as well as the noodle updates (which will remain for NNSW, TDT, SC Darwin and SC Central) are produced on minimal staff using facilities that will continue to operate for the Canberra local news as well as their network operations including playout. I suspect that the only change will be that some of the noodle update presenters will move to presenting local news (in Canberra or elsewhere).

Given this regional news is a Nine/SCA venture I can’t see it extending to non aggregated markets especially as GTS/BKN is primarily a Seven affiliate with Nine and Ten as auxiliary services.

There would also be the question of whether Nine Adelaide has studio capacity now it’s just downsized to a CBD location.

1 Like

The noodle updates are basically headlines from the newspaper and maybe the first sentence of the article. Not much effort going into those.

1 Like

Haven’t seen any on VAST for months, they disappeared not long after Imparja stopped airing theirs.

1 Like

I have just received this email from Southern Cross on the progress of their HD channel

It won’t be before the end of this year. But we are working on early 2017 launch. Stay tuned!

I’m sure they will still beat Seven to the punch though. :yum:

5 Likes

Just recently came across this great little Southern Cross Christmas Id from either 2000 or 2001. I think this was custom-made like all of their presentation was back then.

And the PRG.

Very rare and the only time I’ve ever seen Southern Cross modify their PRG before for special occasions (even some promos were done like this).

4 Likes

They did have one a while back which was a number 1 that rotated into the Southern Cross logo… obviously to state that they were ratings winners.

1 Like