Seven (Southern Cross)

I miss those days. They even used to advertise that fact when TDT Ten used to have the football also. TDT would have the ads and delayed games whereas Southern Cross had them live and no ads between goals.

1 Like

SCA had no choice but to run in-play breaks during the AFL now, as Seven no longer supplies a continuous clean OB feed on their network feed anymore. When HSV7 goes to a break, the network feed as sourced for Southern Cross TAS, the network feed has a black hole which Southern Cross has to fill with a local ad break, including during play in the AFL. Southern Cross’s hands are tied.

7 Likes

Southern Cross Tasmania had a few issues getting from AFL to news tonight:

Also the first few shots of the football is from the HD channel, thoughts that this does look up-converted to me?

4 Likes

Looks up converted to me.

I’ve heard that there is a dispute between Channel 7 in Melbourne and Southern Cross Tas which is the reason why we only have an upcoverted HD picture on SCTVHD. It centres around the AFL, so not sure the reason why all the other programs are upconverted as well.

Would be nice for SCTV to inform their viewers what is happening because there is absolutely no reason to have a HD channel in its current form and they might as well just switch 7mate back to HD.

5 Likes

Is Seven expecting SC to pay more for the AFL in high definition?

1 Like

Yeah this seems ridiculous, if true I wonder what Seven’s problem is, especially considering the AFL has been shown on 7mate HD in other states.
Could Seven still be pissed off with SCA after the Nine affiliation deal (the argument about matching revenue percentage in their affiliation agreement)?

1 Like

This is something I’ve been wondering, now I know that Southern Cross Tas is one of or the most successful stations in Australia and it would be a no-brainer for them to continue their 7 affiliation when it comes up for renewal (which nobody seems to really know the date of?) but are there going to be roadblocks along the way after the whole regional carve up last year? With a deal only made at the last minute for TDT last year, could it be that TDT becomes a 7 affiliate and all SCA fully owned stations become 9?

1 Like

I think Southern Cross Tasmania’s affiliation deal with Seven expires sometime during 2019.

The Seven-affiliated TNT is the highest-rating station in Tasmania. I doubt that SCA would switch it to lower-rating Nine content unless something massive were to happen.

Why would they?

Yes the Nine deal was big for SCA, and a big loss for WIN. But overall it wasn’t that big. They only got regional QLD/NSW/VIC out of it, and TAS was a bonus because WIN changed its primary affiliation country wide. To change the main affiliation under GTS/BKN where SCA hits 100% of potential viewers wouldn’t really matter, but to do it in TAS where they’ve had the number one channel for what, 20 years? SCA would truly be shooting themselves in the foot

3 Likes

I agree it would be majorly stupid, but what’s to say Channel 7 won’t push them hard for the new agreement. Channel 7 knows that Southern Cross rates in the state based on their content and can try and charge them what they want. SCA having Nine agreements elsewhere though can use that as their bargaining chip and see who ends up backing down first. Also makes it easier if Nine were to buy SCA’s TV assets (whether they say they’re interested or not, you can never trust what a company says one day to the next).

I thought people had said before it was 2017 when the agreement was next up, but if it is 2019 then that gives time for things to settle down but it does sound like there could be issues between SC and Seven at the moment. Hopefully it might just become that the reach rules are dropped and SC sells SC Tas to Seven.

4 Likes

If Seven play hardball (& continue to whine about SCA’s deal with Nine), SCA may well standardise on Nine just as WIN did with Ten.
Doing so would also fit with their existing moves to simplify their TV efforts (& reduce costs) by selling NRN (Ten Northern NSW) to WIN.

2 Likes

I agree, you don’t think Kerry Stokes is going to ask the same revenue from SCTAS that they pay to Nine, (50%) they enjoy paying far less at the moment, just wait until the time for re-negotiation arrives, Seven will want an equal percentage of revenue. I think SCTAS will be brought into line with the rest of their regional stations - all under Nine affiliation with the TDT joint venture changing over toe Seven.

3 Likes

For the past week now, all of the local SCTV pages have been offline with a 503 error, as have the TDT and Ten Central pages.

I doubt that SCA would want to risk altering TNT, considering that TVT TNT and its Seven content makes it the highest-rating station in Tasmania. However, they may at some point, sell to either Seven or Nine.

It’s TNT that has Seven content. TVT is WIN Ten.

All are working fine for me. They have changed to newer, less detailed websites though.

Hd quality is not good at all on this channel

They’re a regional affiliate, what did you expect? Shame though.

I completely disagree sorry. Surprisingly for SCA, I actually think they have nearly the best looking HD product available. The only HD that I think looks better is that of SBS/VICELAND.
SCA 9HD looks much better than ABC HD and WIN HD, on my TV at least.