Seven (Southern Cross)

Interesting promotion from Southern Cross Tasmania “Tasmania’s Favourite for 20 years”

5 Likes

A fairly decent localised version of the Seven Network “Australia’s #1 for 10 Years/New In 2017” promo. I rather like the segment with the old Idents showing on TVs from the relevant era at the start! :slight_smile:

And Southern Cross has been #1 in the Tasmanian TV ratings for 20 years? Wow!

5 Likes

Another 2017 promo for SCTV Tasmania. https://www.facebook.com/SCTVTas/videos/1257686164316550/

3 Likes

I wish I was still up there. But I’m still in the very big smoke where I have been for a few years.

I don’t believe 7flix have arrived in Darwin yet?

I highly doubt it that Darwin would have 7flix while other SCA 7 affiliated markets don’t have it.

That’s impressive leadership.

Hasn’t NBN (Northern NSW market) been leader there for even longer (~1989/1990)?

It’s not quite as impressive as it first sounds when you realise Tasmania didn’t have all 3 networks until TNT (Tasmanian Digital Television) launched (as a Ten affiliate) in 2004 (and it was even a couple of years more before TDT10 spread across the state).
Before that for the less than 3 years since TV aggregation in Tasmania (1994) SC had access to both Seven & Ten programming, while TasTV/WIN was the Nine affiliate, and now of course TDT9 still doesn’t have a local/Tas news service, and Seven is winning nationally so it’s no surprise their affiliate is too.

2 Likes

Various feed errors which occured on Monday evening.

‘CC’ logos and In-program watermarks (note the missing ‘7’ logo) :

SC and Seven PRGs:

Seven and SC Sponsor Boards:

Lotto graphic:

7 Likes

Recovery Mode???

Perhaps. But it was odd that it occurred on two consecutive nights though. I’ve never seen it happen before to be honest. As was mentioned in the Prime7 thread, a similar scenario occurred too.

Another odd thing here is that the promo part of the watermark appeared but the Seven logo was missing.

1 Like

It has happened before. Back in 2007/08 I was watching Seven Central and they switched from local watermarking and PRGs to the Brisbane feed, featuring poorly timed cutting to local commercials. A couple of hours earlier (during Saturday Disney, no less) I’d noticed their PRGs and watermarks had gone a bit funny and weren’t appearing at the right times.

I’d say the standard procedure for SC7 in the event of a technical clusterfuck (as it is known in the industry) is to cut to Seven Brisbane.

2 Likes

Someone posted a link to these via their Facebook, but here’s the Southern Cross promos for 2017 I recently received:

8 Likes

Those are surprisingly good, coming from SC

Agree. Nice to see some effort put into them.

I think Southern Cross should be looking at doing a relaunch next year as their current package will be 5 years old next February. And IMO it is looking rather tired. Realistically though, I can’t see this happening for a couple more years at the earliest.

3 Likes

“A lot can change in 20 years…”

Except the news set.

12 Likes

[quote=“msheldrick, post:284, topic:360, full:true”]
“A lot can change in 20 years…”

Except the news set.[/quote]
Now, now. They removed the old CRT TV’s that were located on the right side of the set (behind where the sport presenter sits) and have also changed the colours of the world background from red > blue numerous times over the decades. :joy::joy:

A few people posted exactly the same comments to their social a few weeks ago actually!

6 Likes

I’m currently on holidays in Tasmania & have just noticed that at 7:30, after Home & Away had finished, Southern Cross went to a full-length ad break instead of going straight to MKR. After the ad break finished, MKR started whilst it was already in progress, missing the first few minutes of the program. This was happening on the Launceston feed, so unsure if it was also happening on the Hobart feed. Perhaps @EyewitnessTV can confirm if possible?

FYI, I don’t watch MKR by choice, my parents choice. :wink:

UPDATE: Weirdly, the ad break that aired in Launceston at around 7:45-7:50pm are the same ads as aired straight after H&A!!

3 Likes

Not sure. I don’t watch MKR (actually, I don’t watch anything on FTA at that time of night).

But going off what you have said, with the exact same promos/ads being played in the first ad-break block during MKR played incorrectly between H&A concluding and MKR starting, it’s obviously an error by SCA. I’ve seen this happen before over the years so it’s not uncommon.

[quote=“TV-Expert, post:286, topic:360, full:true”]FYI, I don’t watch MKR by choice, my parents choice. ;)[/quote]Sure thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BTW, enjoy your holidays in the premier destination of the country. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ve never really had much of a look before, but it’s interesting to see how SC7 schedule the AFL in Live on their schedule in Darwin/NT and the QLD remote license areas around the rest of their programming.

Darwin takes the 7 Melbourne feed (including News) for their programming 24/7, while the Remote licence uses the 7 Brisbane feed, but swaps to the 7 Melbourne feed when the AFL is on.

Looking at the schedule for next Thursday.

7 Melbourne has:
04:00pm - Seven News at 4
05:00pm - The Chase Australia
06:00pm - Seven News
07:00pm - AFL (Live)
10:15pm - The Front Bar (Live)
Then various other fill in programmes until Home Shopping starts at 2am AEDT.

Meanwhile, to keep the AFL match Live, Darwin switches from a 90 minute delayed Melbourne feed, to the live Melbourne feed, completely skipping 7 News.

SC7 Darwin:
04:00pm - Seven News at 4
05:00pm - Medical Emergency
05:30pm - AFL (Live)
08:45pm - The Front Bar (Live)
Then the Melbourne feed continues live until 12:30am NT time (2am AEDT) when an extra 90 minutes of Home Shopping is scheduled to get the schedule back to local time.

And on the Remote QLD licence, the Brisbane feed is used live until 6pm, when the feed switches to the live Melbourne feed for the night, again skipping 7 News.

SC7 Remote QLD:
04:00pm - Seven News at 4 [Brisbane feed]
05:00pm - The Chase Australia
06:00pm - AFL (Live) [Melbourne feed]
09:15pm - The Front Bar (Live)
Then the Melbourne feed continues live until 1am QLD time (2am AEDT) when a repeat of Air Crash Investigations is scheduled in to get back to Home Shopping at 2am.

Interesting to see that SC skip 7 News entirely on these days. Also interesting to see they continue with the live Melbourne feed in both cases, well into the night before scheduling filler.

Also interesting is their setup for SC7 Darwin next Saturday with Horse Racing on, as well as AFL in the Afternoon and Evening, the schedule for the day consists of Weekend Sunrise being shown on the normal 90 minute delay in the morning followed by the Melbourne feed going out live for the rest of the day afterwards, including “Seven News at 5” at 3:30pm local time, and “Seven News” at 4:30pm local time.

Given SC’s track record, I would not be surprised at all if they don’t bother to coverup the clock on Seven News at 5.

1 Like

Wait until the season kicks off proper. See what they do with 7TWO Central and 7mate Central with overlapping programming and state-specific AFL matches. I’ve seen AFL on 7TWO plenty of times and Horse Racing split between all three services. It was a real dogs breakfast when they had the rights to the V8 Supercars. SCTV Central South (the one I receive) often shows Queensland Weekender in place of Melbourne afternoon programming as well.

2 Likes