Seven (Southern Cross)

I get what you’re saying regarding NBN, and their newly acquired Nine stations, but I think it’s a very different situation they’d find themselves in and they will hold onto the SCTV brand for quite a while yet.

They might be of the same opinion of it being a very risky move to move away from such a respected local brand in the state, and therefore think it’s worth whatever expense in keeping a seperate brand going well into the future in this instance.

I think if they ever did try to phase out the SCTV brand down here that they would cop an almighty backlash from their viewers.

4 Likes

TVT and TNT changed names a couple of times and have both survived, SCA were happy to change to a straight Nine in Sth NSW, Qld and Vic, a straight Ten in Nth NSW, and SCA don’t seem that concerned about heritage radio station names dumping Heart. Running separate SCTV brands in Tas, SA and NT will I think not continue long term based on SCAs actions on their other properties.

3 Likes

Curious. I don’t see why viewers would care to such an extent.
How long ago did they last rebrand (to SC) and how did it go (was there a backlash)?
I’d think the concern would be to not lose the association in viewers’ minds between the channel and the news service, so perhaps transition gently (like Nine | NBN), perhaps using a co-branded logo, something like this:

5 Likes

I’ve always supported the idea of co-branding with Seven. It feels like the current independent branding is just a remnant of their dual Seven/Ten affiliation days. Who knows what direction they’ll go in when they launch 7HD in the coming months.

@EyewitnessTV Does Racing.com via SCTV still show 7 promos and Plus 7 marketing?

2 Likes

Where they did change to Nine, they weren’t rating that well to begin with, unlike in Tasmania.

As for radio, they have retained heritage names in several competitive markets where they rate well such as KOFM and 4TOFM.

That said, I’m sure it will rebrand to Seven eventually, but there’s more reason not to than has been the case in other markets - particularly while WIN is jumping all over the place.

Yes. NBN’s 9HD had the 9HD branding from its introduction with a small NBN add-on for a while, which one day they just stopped adding on. I wonder if SCTV are looking at doing a similar thing, but of course NBN had their 9-dots affiliate logo since aggregation so the association of Nine & NBN was already in viewers’ minds, while it seems SCTV have only been showing the Seven logo in sport.

With the affiliation changes SC Ten (excluding Nthn NSW) became Nine, and of course Ten wasn’t rating as well as Nine or Seven do, and SC had already basically removed local brands in those areas.

Oh and I’m not cheering for the people involved in rebranding promos, etc. to lose their jobs; I’d rather that - unlike in ACT/Sthn NSW - the TV companies save money by eliminating local brands rather than the locally-produced news services (which are actually worth something to viewers).

1 Like

Also news and current affairs, which make up a significant chunk of the daily schedule.

1 Like

They still have the little “NBN” add-on in the Central Coast and Gold Coast overlap areas.

3 Likes

The change to this logo for Southern Cross Ten was all part of a rebrand for all Southern Cross Broadcasting companies to adopt similar logos to come under the one look and the one umbrella. It covered the TV stations (SC10, SC Tas/SA/NT/Central and Nine Adelaide), Radio stations from 2UE to Magic 1278 and production companies Southern Star, their telco Southern Cross Telco and changed all the logos to have common elements of either the star in 90% of the cases or the font and Southern Cross writing.

For an example, here’s a page I found on the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20070312022555/http://www.southerncrossbroadcasting.com.au/

Prior to this, all the various operations had their own logos and identities. I liked the idea of the change and I think the change and the move to consolidate the look of everything was to assist with the sale/merger which eventually occurred with Austereo but they have now moved away from this idea of the branding now.

I can see a move to 7 branding for Tasmania as being an easy adoption as the logo is certainly seen plenty of times around in Tas and we already have 7Two, 7mate rather than Southern Cross Two. I just can’t see the trigger being pulled for a while, no reason why, I just can’t see it happening. If they did however I would think the news would need to change to 7 News straight away but keep the existing set and keep everything still the same as much as possible for a while to make sure people realise it’s still all the same but just a different logo and let’s face it, the set has done well for so long anyway! Does anybody know when the next affiliation agreement is due?

3 Likes

I’d assume when the agreement ends, SC as will switch to 9 to align with the rest of the company, making TDT the 7 station.

2 Likes

That’d be a poor business decision for SC, why would they make such a risky move just for uniformity?

3 Likes

That scenario would still leave 4 timezones to cover as a Seven affiliate (Darwin, Central North, Central South, SA), so they wouldn’t save costs from a technical perspective. However there would be a cost saving in co-branding with Seven in all their existing markets.

1 Like

SCA should align with 7 in most markets if they want ‘uniformity’

Well I assume it’s all one agreement so 9 all round.
if 9 buys SCA, they’re not going to want to run a 7 station.

Good point, but they wouldn’t be able to run as Nine in their other markets due to existing Nine affiliations. They’d have to sell Darwin and Central if they want true uniformity or if Nine buys SCA.

Very unlikely the 7 affiliate station being a ratings killer in Tas they will want to keep that all to themselves.

4 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

2 Likes

is that something that’s even on the radar still. I thought Nine had already washed their hands of any likelihood of buying SCA?

It’s not a matter of if it ain’t broke don’t fix it in this scenario… don’t be surprised when you see SC Tas become a Nine affiliate when the Seven agreement finishes.

2 Likes

Or why not use the 7 logo but instead of the plain red, it could use the southern cross blue and red stripes in the shape of the 7, with Southern Cross above or below it

1 Like