Seven (Southern Cross)

Southern Cross recommends viewing by mature.

Audiences.

5 Likes

[quote=“Bort, post:214, topic:360, full:true”]
Sounds like a bad Robbie McGregor impersonator![/quote]Ken Saville used to do most of the V/O work for Southern Cross. These days they tend to leave the Seven promos intact (apart from the addional graphic straps etc.). Only time you hear Ken is on the few locally produced content and the classification warnings (the latter which is no longer in use).

1 Like

Movie opener and PG classification warning:

3 Likes

It’s that time of the year so here’s some Christmas presentation from 2000:

6 Likes

PRG from 2004:

Promos from 2004 (note the terrible editing in some of these promos):

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ten (Southern Cross)

Production endtag:

7 Likes

Currently in Hobart, and glanced at a bit of SC as I was eating lunch yesterday. It was strange (and refreshing) seeing a channel with no watermark during the program, a repeat of Better Homes. I noticed they played a couple of Seven promos for 2017 in full with no SC branding, and one other for H&A I think that had a Seven logo throughout but ended with an SC logo. The other promos seemed to be from Seven but with an SC logo. The branding is odd, they need to just change it all to Seven.

7 Likes

[quote=“littlegezzybear, post:222, topic:360, full:true”]Currently in Hobart, and glanced at a bit of SC as I was eating lunch yesterday. It was strange (and refreshing) seeing a channel with no watermark during the program, a repeat of Better Homes. I noticed they played a couple of Seven promos for 2017 in full with no SC branding, and one other for H&A I think that had a Seven logo throughout but ended with an SC logo. The other promos seemed to be from Seven but with an SC logo. The branding is odd, they need to just change it all to Seven.[/quote]SC are certainly very unique with the lack of watermark branding in this day and age (and I can’t see this changing anytime soon to be honest). It can be a bit confusing, too, particularly when one of the multichannels watermark disappears at times for extended periods where you then have the situation of two channels with no watermarks!

Unlike WIN, SC are clearly happy to let their network affiliate branding come through here and there. All the other promos you’ve mentioned are basically the original version from Seven apart from the additional graphics (day/time straps and endtags).

I don’t mind SCTV’s branding to be honest (maybe that’s because I’m just so used to the mismatch branding elements between their own and the affiliates that it doesn’t bother me).

3 Likes

There used to be very minimal 7 branding come through (with the exception of 7Sport watermarks etc…) but over the last few years 7 have added a lot more in program promos or accelerated flow promos with the programs or like what they’ve done with the 7 logo as part of 2017 this year. They come through but don’t really bother anybody. Certainly don’t think they need to change to 7 branding just to be like everywhere else though, for a regional station they manage to keep their identity well and keep themselves feeling local with their support of numerous events around the state and appearances. I would say there’s a lot more of these than WIN seem to do.

2 Likes

[quote=“ando9185, post:224, topic:360, full:true”]
There used to be very minimal 7 branding come through (with the exception of 7Sport watermarks etc…). Certainly don’t think they need to change to 7 branding just to be like everywhere else though, for a regional station they manage to keep their identity well and keep themselves feeling local with their support of numerous events around the state and appearances. I would say there’s a lot more of these than WIN seem to do.
[/quote]Agree. I seriously can’t ever seeing SCTV becoming a complete Seven branded station to be honest.

Anyways, looking back through presentations from the 90s and the early 2000s (which I’m currently doing) and the Seven brand was barely there. I’m amazed to discover lately that their look back then was all custom and unique (even the VO work for network programs were custom unlike today where network VO’s are left intact). I mean, they still have a local feel about them these days but it was certainly more pronounced back then. On the other end of the scale WIN really doesn’t have any identity locally these days.

Back then weren’t they a dual Ten and Seven affiliate?

Yes. The Ten affiliation really didn’t end until 2009 (even then they still broadcast the odd program and the AFL from Ten until they lost the rights at the conclusion of 2011 season). Since 2012 SCTV has been solely affiliated with Seven.

SC really didn’t start to butcher promos etc with network VO’s until around 2003 from what I’ve seen so far.

I have never really seen much of Southern Cross TV in Tasmania.

Having said that, I would be surprised if they maintained separate branding for Tasmania for anything more than another 2-3 years.As

• On the mainland, for instance, even NBN is now branded as Nine except for 6pm news.
  • SC also doesn’t have any of its own branding on its Nine or Ten stations up here either.
  • Tasmania is a small market of only about 500,000 or so. It wouldn’t be very cost effective to maintain a brand for a market of that size.

Perhaps a transitional measure could be to adopt Seven branding but still call the 6pm news as “Southern Cross News” as they have been doing at NBN (which I still find weird but it seems to be working I guess?).

2 Likes

SCA seem happy enough to reduce their own brands (perhaps with the right affiliation agreement, so when’s that due?).

I don’t see why SC couldn’t do something similar to their transition to Ten branding ages ago in ACT & Southern NSW, which was to tack on the old brand (later “Southern Cross”) next to the network logo, i.e. ‘Ten Capital’, then ‘Ten | Southern Cross’:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/CTC_Ten_Capital_logo.jpg

On air the change was quite sudden; they just started showing the Ten network logo & promos, with their new co-branded logo/name only appearing in locally-produced programming (news), and on anything off-air (newspaper ads, radio commercials).
It was only much later that SC Ten (still with Ten’s logo on-air) started using the SC star logo with Ten’s blue & yellow colours and the “Southern Cross Ten” text in print and their own content (local news updates, community service announcements):

Remember Prime rebranded to Prime7 (& GWN7) as a cost-cutting measure; the work to re-logo & re-voice promos is an expense, versus no additional cost to use Seven’s ones and just have a co-branded logo/watermark the rest of the time.

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying regarding NBN, and their newly acquired Nine stations, but I think it’s a very different situation they’d find themselves in and they will hold onto the SCTV brand for quite a while yet.

They might be of the same opinion of it being a very risky move to move away from such a respected local brand in the state, and therefore think it’s worth whatever expense in keeping a seperate brand going well into the future in this instance.

I think if they ever did try to phase out the SCTV brand down here that they would cop an almighty backlash from their viewers.

4 Likes

TVT and TNT changed names a couple of times and have both survived, SCA were happy to change to a straight Nine in Sth NSW, Qld and Vic, a straight Ten in Nth NSW, and SCA don’t seem that concerned about heritage radio station names dumping Heart. Running separate SCTV brands in Tas, SA and NT will I think not continue long term based on SCAs actions on their other properties.

3 Likes

Curious. I don’t see why viewers would care to such an extent.
How long ago did they last rebrand (to SC) and how did it go (was there a backlash)?
I’d think the concern would be to not lose the association in viewers’ minds between the channel and the news service, so perhaps transition gently (like Nine | NBN), perhaps using a co-branded logo, something like this:

5 Likes

I’ve always supported the idea of co-branding with Seven. It feels like the current independent branding is just a remnant of their dual Seven/Ten affiliation days. Who knows what direction they’ll go in when they launch 7HD in the coming months.

@EyewitnessTV Does Racing.com via SCTV still show 7 promos and Plus 7 marketing?

2 Likes

Where they did change to Nine, they weren’t rating that well to begin with, unlike in Tasmania.

As for radio, they have retained heritage names in several competitive markets where they rate well such as KOFM and 4TOFM.

That said, I’m sure it will rebrand to Seven eventually, but there’s more reason not to than has been the case in other markets - particularly while WIN is jumping all over the place.