Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Interesting development, a complete turnaround by 7 at the 11th hour.

Does the Seven Network control the output for GWN7 and Prime7 news also? Sounds like they don’t trust SCA to me.

1 Like

TBH I dont think Seven should have anything to worry about the news service is very much in line with Seven graphics and quality mostly now anyway. Pretty funny though that nobody thought to check this with Seven before the announcement and then the blackout of info to the public. The only reason a public announcement has been made is due to the media watch story.

5 Likes

The Prime7/GWN7 brand gives them an association with Seven, but doesn’t suggest they actually are Seven. This is what Seven seems to be concerned about, which I can understand.

4 Likes

Seven has shares in Prime Media Group. And they’ve not peeped about Prime7/GWN7 News as yet.

I wouldn’t either. Considering the rather deep links that SCA now has with Nine, I’d be rethinking any links with SCA - remember, this was the reasoning behind ADS and SAS Adelaide swapping channels.

2 Likes

At least that explains why this press release came out randomly tonight, they knew it was about to hit Media Watch.

Seven may want to be compensated for the use of their brand.

2 Likes

Heck, I would too, especially if it’s that pack of nufties at SCA.

“It will all be resolved in the next few days and the rollout as Seven Tasmania will then go ahead” according to Blackley.

6 Likes

As part of the original rebrand strategy, it was announced that this thread, Southern Cross News, would be renamed. MediaSpy would like to inform users that this will not be happening. A new name for this thread will be announced in due course.

22 Likes

I wonder what Steven The Potato thinks?

4 Likes

Maybe SC7 News Tasmania?

1 Like

You mean Grant Blackley’s ‘other’ account?

Grant Blackley should know better, how did he let this happen? This is far from his finest hour.

For a bloke at the head of 10 for years and having been on the other end of a few affiliation negotiations, this has pushed him more towards the amateur hours of regional Rhys than he would’ve liked.

Yeah possibly, as long as it’s SC7 and not Southern Cross 7 News.

Is he still on FB with that name? Where’s the original post?

I wonder if this could lead to something else eventually like SC paying more and Seven producing the news or even looking to buy the stations. I know they’ve said in the past they’re not interested anymore and there’s recently been the new affiliation agreement but if they want more editorial control, we’ll see what they want to offer.

1 Like

For whatever reason it seems Ten had no problem with their brand being used for SCA updates, unlike Seven and Nine:

3 Likes

Woah

6 Likes

But rightly so… Seven have every right to protect there news brand.

It looks bad on Southern Cross’s behalf, I really thought this would have been sorted before announcing the change.

Strange that Seven are happy to slap it on the channel, but not the news. Then to have a seperate brand for news? Tacky. Really hope they somehow manage to include Seven in the news brand otherwise they might as well continue as Southern Cross. Wonder if they could carry the 7 Local News brand perhaps? I feel it’s key to have the news branded as Seven too. It’s going to feel very disjointed. It’s a real shame, Southern Cross News Tasmania could absolutely have pulled this off out of all the regionals.

2 Likes

It’s an underserved slight on the TNT newsroom. For decades it has been a leader in non metro news matched only in the present day with that of NBN.

The botched brand change is an embarrassment to SCA. These matters should’ve been settled at the time of signing the deal unless a deal was not truly signed and only in principle agreement reached to continue.

Financially, why bother with the 7 news or channel brand, SCA are paying significantly higher in affiliation fees yet continue to do the work themselves.

Imagine if you are Grant Wilson, you and your CoS answering daily calls and now social media about a name change and nothing you can do about it, all handled interstate. Product doesn’t appear to miss a beat but not ideal at all.

4 Likes