Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Amateur hour as usual for SCA management. A shame as it’s a stark contrast from the professional outfit that is SC’s Tasmanian News.

10 Likes

So they announced changing to Seven News without asking 7?

Struggling to think of what alternative name they could use other then just staying as “Southern Cross News”?

9 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking. Why announce it without consulting?!

1 Like

What a screw up of many screw ups, surely you would check all this before making such an announcement. Oh well we have 7HD lol that was the thing we desperately needed and the news virtually looks much like Seven News no matter what they call it.

2 Likes

This makes the federal government look competent.

2 Likes

For the most part, I don’t really care whether the bulletin is called Seven News Tasmania, Southern Cross News or anything else. If anything, I think most of us here would prefer local media brands to remain intact.

It’s the idea of running one brand for a station’s local 6pm news service and another for the other 23 hours a day of programming that I find absolutely ridiculous, especially when the major national/metropolitan news services have largely positioned themselves with a single multi-platform brand in recent years.

Although I’m not overly surprised, this is still embarrassingly hilarious!

Did SCA even consult Seven before going ahead with their rebrand plans?

“A new name for the news service will be announced in due course”

Wonder what that actually means or what it could change to…

I’m quite surprised if this is the case but also surprised if Seven don’t want them to use the 7 News brand. I could understand it if the quality was like the noodle bulletins but for the Tas bulletin, the quality and the look is very much mirrored with Seven so I could see it as strengthening their brand rather than weakening it.

Tune in next week at 6pm for the Local News Headlines!

8 Likes

Although I agree the Tasmanian bulletin would probably represent the Seven News brand just fine…

…or the Regional SA/Broken Hill bulletin, which I believe was to be rebranded as “Seven Local News” or something.

You can just imagine the major metropolitan network having very serious reservations about SCA’s idea after watching that bulletin and seeing the quality of the On-Air Presentation (probably only slightly better than the standards of presentation seen on the “Local News Headlines” Updates) used there!

Australian National Nightly Network News

7 Likes

An out there suggestion … Tura Tasmanian News. ‘Tura’ is the number 7 in Palawa kani which is a revived Tasmanian Aboriginal language. It would be a nice tribute.

5 Likes

Can you see Southern Cross doing something quite novel like that? I’d have a better chance of having a root with Lucy Zelic or seeing a Tasmanian Tiger in the wild. Or both.

7 Likes

What a bizarre outcome. Seven are happy for SC to replicate every part of the 7 News look and feel but they stop short at the use of the actual 7 News name? It’s no wonder those at SC didn’t think it would be a problem.

Perhaps it really is the Canberra news operation dragging the whole thing down as @SydneyCityTV suggests? You can’t really blame Seven for wanting to distance themselves from that. Pretty sure Nine wasn’t keen on slapping their balls all over the noodles either, hence the use of extremely generic branding.

11 Likes

Perhaps if those other bulletins/updates were able to be presented from Launceston they may be able to reach an agreement. A bit disappointing, I’d rather have it as all or nothing with the branding rather than the mish-mash over the last month.

TigerNews™

SC and NBN are now in the same boat, but I think SC’s situation in Tassie isn’t or won’t be as messy. Their bulletin never featured the whole network logo. They’re lucky in that they use a more generic logo that isn’t dependent on the channel brand and focuses on the ‘NEWS’ part. I reckon it would be quite easy to just drop the Southern Cross part at the top for simply Tasmania, so it just reads Tasmania News. Or maybe Seven would be happy with ‘Seven Tasmania’ in just text above the ‘NEWS’?

1 Like

Ha this saga even made it to Media Watch tonight…

9 Likes

I imagine they’ll come up with a highly original name like Tasmania National News. They could get James Earl Jones to voice the tagline- “This is TNN. Tasmania’s trusted name in news”.

1 Like

Complete with new presenter Mahatma Cote, and that catchphrase…

Or just call it TNT News with a bit of Acca Dacca for the news music. :wink:

4 Likes

Apologies for the poor pictures but it gives some insight into the situation.

7 Likes