Seven & Ten News (SCA)

Southern Cross Tas reporter Jacquelin Robson did a live cross for Seven’s morning news, and a national package for the 4pm bulletins.

5 Likes

Wonder why Seven sent someone down then seems like a waste if money and resources.

1 Like

I like it. Creative use of a small studio that isn’t all greenscreen…

Edit: First on Southern Cross News watermark

9 Likes

My favourite moment was the guy using the term “nek minnit”.

4 Likes

It’s hard to imagine that only a few months ago this same news service was stuck in the 80s.

10 Likes

Seven would have wanted someone on the ground to provide a national perspective for its 6pm news. I would assume Blake’s report was shown in all states last night.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the report posted by @Techster above provided by Southern Cross. Although at least in Melbourne Jen Keyte included the pointless live cross.

Same goes for yesterday’s tragic shooting in WA, Melbourne got a package out of Sydney voiced by Chris Reason, followed by fake live cross to a local reporter in Perth. Save money, use local resources.

2 Likes

That camera angle would be the perfect shot if they ever did a “today’s top stories” recap.

9 Likes

Southern Cross would have had their reporters preparing hyperlocal reports, so a national reporter did a story that can travel.

5 Likes

Read the post I was replying to. Tweet of the national report Southern Cross provided to Seven.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the reason Seven sent someone down there is because they have full control of that person. News directors can ask him/her to do whatever they want, eg. national story, human interest piece, a live cross for Sunrise, the Morning Show, morning news, afternoon news, evening news, etc.

With someone from an affiliate, I’m sure the reporter/affiliate would be more than happy to compile a national report, and maybe do a few crosses for the various evening bulletins.

But asking them to do more might be a struggle because, well, the affiliate would need to file other stories. Some may be about the flood, but given affiliates tend to less well staffed, I’m sure there are other news stories said reporter would need to cover. Not easily done if you’ve got schedule full of live crosses etc.

3 Likes

Having said that. I get the point that Seven should, say, use local in-house talent where possible instead of flying someone in from out of town. Ditto Nine using NBN or Local News reporters.

1 Like

Fair point, I just saw the repackaged report and pointless live cross on Friday night. I don’t know but as you say he may have hung around for Saturday’s content requirements as well.

1 Like

They’re also lucky that they managed to fly in. Had the Airport been hit as hard as the CBD was that could also have potentially been closed for a while with a cleanup. As it was the Airport received only 40mm of rain in the 24 hours while the CBD received 130mm (with many suburbs getting around 200mm and the run off from the mountain of 230mm+)

1 Like

Rachel Williams will be presenting all week in Tasmania.

1 Like

I recently came across some old Canberra footage that was on a second hand PVR that I bought:

2 Likes

Was there Techincal Difficulties at Southern Cross Tasmania the Reason there Bulletin was’nt Uploaded on Youtube?

1 Like

The logo has also been posted to Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SXNewsTas/status/1004920068965261312

As for the name of the threads on Media Spy, should they become something like “SCA Seven” and “SCA Seven News” after July 1?

11 Likes

The body is not even cold yet! Let us mourn the loss and grieve! Lol

They mention no Tassie job losses, I wonder if there will be some in Canberra now that graphics won’t be redone and editing.

5 Likes

Liking the variations of the logo, wonder if a graphic refresh is in the cards Aus wide

8 Likes