Seven & Ten News (SCA)

I fucking love how professional it all looks.

7 Likes

If anything, the old Tasmania set would be an upgrade for SA!

5 Likes

And sounds…

2 Likes

It absolutely would be - though it wouldn’t fit in the ‘telephone booth’ size ‘studios’ at SC in Canberra. They only have enough room for one person (if you’re lucky). For some stupid reason, they made the walls glass with no sound proofing which is one reason the sound is so awful.

2 Likes

I get that it mightn’t be worth spending money on a set similar to what the Tasmanian bulletin has for a potential audience of (probably) less than 150k viewers but surely it can’t be that expensive to do at least a “toned down” version of the graphics for the GTS/BKN bulletin?

And perhaps it might be a bit pricey to get a licence to use Seven News’ current theme music, but surely Southern Cross could at least decide to update their theme music for the GTS/BKN bulletin by licencing a more contemporary-sounding “news” production track from a library which is newer than the current piece which dates back to 1989 (yes, it’s true - do a search online for “Emergency Service” by Alan Hawkshaw)?!

2 Likes

Oops. Southern Cross News using old maps for Electorates. Many of the electrotes have changed.

2 Likes

I think people forget SC has a massive unutilised studio space in Canberra.

1 Like

Which is being sold off soon and would require more than one person to operate…

Would they need to? Seven’s license would obviously extend to regional affiliates when they relay the Seven news product. I imagine that license is a blanket license for all Seven news bulletins so that it doesn’t need to be updated when they add in new bulletins, or present special bulletins or updates due to special events. As a news bulletin airing only on the seven affiliate at the same time as new is otherwise available, the existing license may cover use for Southern Cross News as well.

1 Like

John Hunt can barely contain his excitement in that report…

he needs to dial it back a bit because he’s not talking to a Play School audience.

He also needs to learn some body language. The hands constantly clasping and unclasping was doing my head in.

3 Likes

Southern Cross Tas definitely getting better. I was just thinking it had been perfect but then a few issues cropped up.

• Music coming from the break and during the coming up segment was perfect until it then started up again halfway through the next story.
  • One slide in the coming up had the headline, then the generic SC News title card
  • During a “live” cross from Sport to a Seven reporter, Tom was faded out before the question was finished. At least the reply came after the question this time though. The bonus here was we also got to hear Rachel (sounded like her) saying something to the control room about the fault.

It was the first night for Rachel and for Carmen (?) doing the weather. Sport has still only been done from the Newsroom in Hobart with Tom. Still waiting to see if Launceston Tom does it again.

2 Likes

just out of curiosity, where is the new Southern Cross studios located in Launceston?

No idea, don’t make it to Launceston much. I think there was a post somewhere in the thread here that the offices were converted to the studio space so the warehouse part of the site could be sold. That could be what happened. There sounds like there was a lot of unused space at the site so it’s probably just been rejigged to keep all the free space in one section to try and sell again.

1 Like

Makes sense. There would have been a lot of unused space there. The building also used to house radio station 7EX.

maybe he should go spend some time working in some dinky regional TV market to hone his skills a bit?.. oh wait.

1 Like

It does. Back in the day there were three studios at CTC in Watson - but as webguy pointed out they are rarely used and are all but mothballed. I’m presuming the smaller studios have been converted to something else. The news phone booths were designed to be user-operated, which is why SC News looks like a webcast rather than actual television.

The whole CTC site in Canberra (which is enormous and includes large paddocks ‘out the back’) is scheduled for demolition and conversion to housing - which is why I suspect they may move all SC news production to Lonny.

2 Likes

If SCA’s endgame is to shift all news production to Lonnie, it would certainly be a massive boost for the SA bulletin, not only for pooling resources but also for resource sharing.

However, considering all the money that they’ve just spent on new Lonnie and Hobart twin sets plus the relocated HD studio facilities, they may not be so willing to splash more cash than necessary for a smaller SA market. For best-case, minimum effort scenario, two (or is it three they currently have in Canberra?) new HD TOSS’s with a similar setup to Canberra:

One (or two) TOSS with a desk for the SA bulletin with some stills of the main set for fake wide shots. Can double up for the noodle updates.

A second TOSS (standing and sitting, or standing-only) for SA weather, to be pre-recorded closer to broadcast for accuracy if not done already. Can also double up for the noodle updates.

I’m presuming that the Tas weather green screen is in the same, open studio space as the main set, counting it out for use for anything else while the Tasmanian bulletin is recording and prepping.

1 Like

The joy of the time difference means the SA bulletin could conceivably be read live from Tas. Though logistically a little challenging, Jo could “read through” after some pre-recorded headlines play out on GTS/BKN. It wouldn’t be very different to the set up at Prime7 - they manage to get four bulletins out each day with one set.

1 Like

Tonight was the first night I believe with Launceston Tom reading the sports news since the relaunch. Hobart Tom was at North Hobart Oval where Gillon McLachlan had been earlier today. It was either done in front of the weather green screen or from Hobart as it was exactly the same setup and background.

1 Like

Montages of two SA bulletins from last week:

Each day I only saw two news updates - Day time one played in first break of UK Chase then in an ad break of 4pm News. The evening one played at about 8.20pm. There is also a weather update in the evening and a Sunrise Update in the morning.

To get to the bulletin instead of showing Today Tonight, I saw that they play an old Seven News title card after the weather. First night this happened straight after the weather, second night they went back to Jane and John for banter before the titlecard played:

14 Likes